JavaScript - Good Reasons to Disable it

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
'Hi Heffe, I hear all the time what you and a couple other guys are saying here, "NoScripts breaks too many pages". In all honesty and I mean honestly, I just don't feel it at all. I mean I go to all kind of sites, same sites all the time but the list of bookmarks gets bigger and bigger and I don't have any site that I cant take care of by temporarily allowing scripts.

People also complain about white listing sites like if it was something that you have to be constantly messing around with. Personally, I only have eight sites that I white list. Last time that I changed something in that list was one year ago when Megaupload was killed. After Mega disappeared, I took it off my tiny white list.

Using NoScript makes sense, it should make sense to people that come to security forums. I mean, anytime we read something about it (security wise), it is positive and experts are always recommending it.

I started using NoScript about four years ago, right at about the same time that I discovered SBIE. I didn't understand it at first, I mean it took some time to learn how things work but eventually everything started to make sense. I took a no nonsense approach about it and it worked.

Alike Sandboxie, I learn something new every other day about NoScript. I don't see that as "the program being difficult" but as the program being exciting as their is something new to be discovered and learned every so often. I wouldn't change my NoScript for any combination of the paid security programs that we talk about here. Thats how I feel about this wonderful program.

Breaking pages, no, not for me, actually (the way I see it), it cleans pages of disturbing and annoying stuff. I can focus better in what I am doing.'

Bo

Finally a voice in the desert, with which I agree 100%!:cool:

KUDOS, my Bo.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I will have to agree with HeffeD about NoScript.

I no longer use it because it would break too many webpages especially ad-supported sites and flash video sites. Besides that it would conflict with some of my other extensions and cause Firefox to crash. It takes too long to set it up and then it will block scripts that it should not block and cause problems. Temporarily allowing scripts did not always solve the problems on some webpages and still scripts would get blocked and Firefox would crash. Even creating a new profile for Firefox didn't solve the problems.

For awhile, I thought all the problems were caused by a buggy Firefox upgrade. After removing NoScript all of the problems went away.

I don't recommend NoScript since many other users have had the same kind of problems with it.

Thanks.:D

I

illumination

I must be one of the lucky ones then, after i white listed everything i needed, i have not had a bit of trouble with Noscript, it does what it is supposed to, and have not had any problems of crashes ect. I have a handful of extensions as well, and no problems.. I run Request Policy, Adblock Plus, HTTPS Everywhere, Cookie Manager +, and Last Pass with it. My pages load fast, scroll fast, it is responsive.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.