Jeremy1988's Config

Jeremy1988

Thread author
Jul 5, 2015
Hi just wanted to know what other programs i should be using to make my pc more secure ,I currently run Malwarebytes premium and AVG 2013 paid version ,Is there 1 or 2 more programs i should run when making sure my computer is virus /malware free ?

What is the combo of programs most of you guys use ? Just got rid of Steam Stealer trojan today that malwarebytes found after a little scare on steam yesterday through my own negligence ,and i want to make my pc more efficient at keeping viruses or malware out of my system ,Also need to get in the habit of doing regular scans ,My PC is usually clean of viruses and malware but after this steam thing i don't wanna take chances.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
...and you don't have to spend money to do it; I don't recommend spending money on an AV scanner...definitely not a subscription.

Reactions: JM Safe

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Scan regularly with malwarebytes

Also you should add additional scanners such as emsisoft emergency kit and ESET online scanner

As a precaution you should run all unknown or suspicious programmes inside a sandbox, I recommend sandboxie.

Use Virustotal.com to scan unknown files to make sure that they aren't malware

Even if the results come back clean it might not mean that it is safe, it might mean that this malware has not be identified by any of the vendors.

I use malwarebytes anti exploit and zemana anti keylogger for additional protection although I don't think that it would help in the steam stealer's case.

For protection against USB malware you should also install MC shield which scans your USB drives when you plug them in for USB spreading malware.

Also AVG 2013 is really outdated and should be replace, if you like AVG you can update to 2015 version, if not you could move to something with a stronger protection such as ESET (paid) or 360 Safe/Avast (free).

Again all these programmes can only protect you if you're smart about where you are clicking, please be more cautious in the future!

Good luck and stay safe :D

Reactions: JM Safe

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
There so called 'companion AV' which can help and design your current security products supplements for the combination setup.

AVG either AV or IS (latest version is must) + companions like (Xvirus, Crystal Security or SecureAplus) = very neat on overall appearance.

But the main important here is the backup option; if there's something wrong then a plan B is your final solution.

Use either Macrium Reflect or AOIMEI Backupper.

Another protection? You may consider virtualization concept but accept any risks about data stealing; which you can run any program isolated and you can clear all those data without any risks. (Sandboxie or full desktop version like Toolwiz Time Freeze or Shadow Defender)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.