Status
Not open for further replies.

Dima007

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
Eccentric millionaire John McAfee caused Intel to speed up its decision to rebrand McAfee Antivirus to Intel Security, says the boss of rival software vendor Kaspersky.

Intel acquired McAfee back in 2010, and announced it would rebrand the software to Intel Security earlier this month.

Eugene Kaspersky believes the change was always going to happen, but the actions of John McAfee may have accelerated this.

Speaking to PCR at the opening of Kaspersky's new London offices, he said: "The moment we learnt about the Intel and McAfee acquisition, the first thing we thought was, okay, McAfee is going to be renamed to Intel. It was obvious.

"When an acquisition happens, sooner or later they change the brand. There are very few exceptions. Sometimes of course the company which acquires another company takes that brand, like United and Continental Airlines. Continental merged with United and took the brand United.

"So it was really just a matter of time. Maybe John McAfee accelerated that a little bit, but not too much."

Perhaps it had something to do with him being apparently wanted for murder and going on the run, or being sued by his dead neighbour's daughter. Maybe it was this bizarre video where John McAfee teaches you how to uninstall McAfee Antivirus.

Of Intel's decision to rebrand McAfee Antivirus to Intel Security, John McAfee said he was "elated".

"I am now everlastingly grateful to Intel for freeing me from this terrible association with the worst software on the planet," he said.

"These are not my words, but the words of millions of irate users."

Reactions: PVA_BR

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Of Intel's decision to rebrand McAfee Antivirus to Intel Security, John McAfee said he was elated. "I am now everlastingly grateful to Intel for freeing me from this terrible association with the worst software on the planet," he said. "These are not my words, but the words of millions of irate users."
If nothing else you have to admire John's veracity...about the product, at any rate.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I think John McAfee is great, no matter how Bizarre the dodgy Russian finds him.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Yes, 'veracity' is good if 'the worst software on the planet' has your name attached.:rolleyes: I hadn't known there was a man by the name of John McAffey ...until Now.o_O I've uninstalled McAffey on 2 separate occasions from Windows 8/8.1 which is probably why there's a video. Being '..apparently wanted for murder', & '...being sued..' (for unlawful death?). I'm being told (right now) there was a heated dispute that involved his neighbor in the US territory of Puerto Rico over McAffee's dogs. This resulted in the neighbor being :eek:killed. McAffey is currently living abroad, possibly in the Caribbean, free from extradition laws.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

John McAffee is awesome, he is the pioneer of computer security and adept at ingesting cocain via the anus ^^

John McAffee? the man that inspired Tony Stark character !

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.