App Review Kaspersky AntiRansomware for Business beta- Part 1

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Great vid, as always, thank you for sharing :)
About Kitty, the wallpaper looks like some ransomware I've seen before (please don't ask me which, so many variants in the wild). Is it done by you or a reprogrammed version of...?
Looking forward eagerly to Pt. 2!

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Kitty is a Locky variant that I morphed. This is what the serious Gangs will do to keep the ransomware fresh- every 8-12 hours one will be retired and a morphed one distributed. The reasoning here is that any malware newly released should be assumed to have a detection free period of 8-12 hours (if widely distributed and not targeted); so the longer a given sample remains in the wild, the more AV's will pick it up leading to diminishing returns.

H

hjlbx

Kitty is a Locky variant that I morphed. This is what the serious Gangs will do to keep the ransomware fresh- every 8-12 hours one will be retired and a morphed one distributed. The reasoning here is that any malware newly released should be assumed to have a detection free period of 8-12 hours (if widely distributed and not targeted); so the longer a given sample remains in the wild, the more AV's will pick it up leading to diminishing returns.

I have seen exploited sites where the malc0der monitored site activity in real-time and changed the distributed malicious file every hour or so. It became easy to track the malc0der's habits; he\she followed a schedule. The attack was active at 11 am every day until 2 pm - with two or three new variants pushed within that time period.

And no, in these particular cases, the attack was not fully automated; the malc0der was actually on-line during every single attack.

Last edited by a moderator:

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Thank you for the fast & comprehensive reply :)

I have seen exploited sites where the malc0der monitored site activity in real-time and changed the distributed malicious file every hour or so. It became easy to track the malc0der's habits; he\she followed a schedule. The attack was active at 11 am every day until 2 pm - with two or three new variants pushed within that time period.

And no, in these particular cases, the attack was not fully automated; the malc0der was actually on-line during every single attack.
I wonder if those guys can make their living out of that, as something like that must cost lots of time.
Great addition to this topic, thank you!

N31R

Level 1
Verified
Jul 25, 2016
Good video again, cruelsister!

As far as I know, "PDM" is the behavioral detection of Kaspersky, and "UDS" is the cloud detection. From what is seen on the video, all detections are PDM detections.
"PDM.Trojan.Win32.Bazon.a" is a cloud behavioral detection. You'll see that the detection name won't appear in an offline test- only PDM.Trojan.Win32.Generic and similar Generic detection names (local behavioral detection rules).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.