Advice Request Kaspersky dangerous or not

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudio66

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 9, 2022
Given that I am not a computer expert but a computer user with basic knowledge, and that I have never caught a virus in my life. I currently have 3 computers in use, one with Eset Nod 32, 1 with kaspersky and last I am testing Trend Micro Internet security.
Without entering politics and addressing war issues that do not interest anyone and respecting the opinions of anyone ... concretely what is the risk for a private computer owner of using Kaspersky?
I read around on the net:
a) your machine can be used to attack other computers in the event of a global attack on the network;
b) b) if Kaspersky were to be attacked by hackers from other countries, your computer and data are at risk;
c) or ?
d) no risk is a trade war.

All I tell all my friends that I have consulted tell me..to rest assured..change antivirus.
I am testing Trend Micro Internet Security and then I will switch to F Secure safe hoping to find a right solution. Bitdefender too heavy for my laptop. Eset is great but I don't like having same antivirus on all computers.
Thanks

simbatippe1234

Level 3
Oct 14, 2021
Hi @Claudio66, you should consider Bitdefender again, I use it, & my specs are not much: 8GB Ram+2.4Ghz, as far as I know, it uses about 300MB in day to day operations.
It is a fantastic AV with very good Virus/Malware capabilities not to mention a Ransomware Remediation module, fantastic UI, and much more to tell but I am not Tech-Savy.
The Pricetag is also great.
30 Days fully functional trial.
Oustanding tech support.
I have used it for 5 years now, never had any infections of any kind, and I browse some shady websites sometimes.
Thanks.:)

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello :)

I will be able to answer you in a clear and direct way.

I asked Kaspersky for the information during a discussion on a social network. It is true that I was also worried, and this is quite normal.

Kaspersky is a Russian company, but a private one.
Private companies are not subject to the Russian law that requires them to disclose data to the government.
Above all, Kaspersky has security and confidentiality standards, and was recently audited!

Then, if you are in Europe, Kaspersky has moved its servers to Switzerland. If you are North American, it is in Canada.

In short, if you use Kaspersky, you are not at risk at all.
Even if one day Russia is cut off from the world, Kaspersky has so many servers for updates and KSN that you won't notice any difference :)

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Personally I wouldn't have any reservations about using Kaspersky or any other Russian product. The way I see it, the vast majority of individuals would be worthless targets for the Russian intelligence services.
I think it's more likely that people will be forced to ditch Kaspersky due to the company being sanctioned (whether it is or not is another matter) rather than it aiding the FSB in carrying out cyber attacks.

With that said, if I were engaging in activities that are directly opposing the Russian state's interests, then I would absolutely avoid using Russian products or services.

vuksha_xc60

Level 1
Jun 22, 2020
Given that I am not a computer expert but a computer user with basic knowledge, and that I have never caught a virus in my life. I currently have 3 computers in use, one with Eset Nod 32, 1 with kaspersky and last I am testing Trend Micro Internet security.
Without entering politics and addressing war issues that do not interest anyone and respecting the opinions of anyone ... concretely what is the risk for a private computer owner of using Kaspersky?
I read around on the net:
a) your machine can be used to attack other computers in the event of a global attack on the network;
b) b) if Kaspersky were to be attacked by hackers from other countries, your computer and data are at risk;
c) or ?
d) no risk is a trade war.

All I tell all my friends that I have consulted tell me..to rest assured..change antivirus.
I am testing Trend Micro Internet Security and then I will switch to F Secure safe hoping to find a right solution. Bitdefender too heavy for my laptop. Eset is great but I don't like having same antivirus on all computers.
Thanks
With your reasoning, honestly you should then try to gain more knowledge about computers to be 100% sure what are you doing. That's my friendly advice and how I do.

About what you've read, where are the proofs all of those statements ? If your machine is used to attack the network, you will notice somehow. If any antivirus is attacked ( I guess you mean their servers), your data are in risk. See what avast or Norton are doing (and were doing in the past) and no one really had complaint.

What I would recommend to you is to get paid version of the antivirus (no matter if it's Kaspersky or not) since you have more control of it's modules.

Reactions: Claudio66

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
If there is no possibility that the Kremlin can demand the disclosure of data from Kaspersky, why will not Kaspersky answer me this question then? I asked them if this could be a scenario now during the war with Ukraine, but do not get any answer, and I have been waiting a while now. I would stay far away from Kaspersky. It does not help that the program is fantastically good when you can risk becoming an aide to the Kremlin.

F

ForgottenSeer 93475

If there is no possibility that the Kremlin can demand the disclosure of data from Kaspersky, why will not Kaspersky answer me this question then? I asked them if this could be a scenario now during the war with Ukraine, but do not get any answer, and I have been waiting a while now. I would stay far away from Kaspersky. It does not help that the program is fantastically good when you can risk becoming an aide to the Kremlin.
Have you tried asking the same question to Microsoft, Google, Twitter, Facebook to see if they answer you? 😏

cofer123

Level 3
Sep 7, 2021
My take on this matter is that it's not about trustworthiness of Kaspersky that most of us should worry about, but its ability remain a functional product.

I, for one, am not from the US nor do I live in any of those countries Russia recently labeled as "enemies", so like many others I'm not worried about Kaspersky snooping around my life. Google certainly has done that to a far greater extent than Kaspersky would ever manage to. In fact, Kaspersky's track record indicates they have annoyed the powers that be from the US more than once by exposing malware that originated from there, so I seriously doubt the US impartiality towards Kaspersky. Germany banning Kaspersky, on the other hand, had me more interested to hear their reasons for doing so, but since they have also not provided any technical reasons for their stance...

The issue I see here is if Kaspersky can remain good after so many sanctions. Being cutoff from so many markets and kicked out of bug bounty programs are what worries me. Despite Kaspersky Labs competence on AV software development, they need these external resources to strengthen their product. General distrust of their product by everything going on will also lower their market share, gimping their reach even further.

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
Have you tried asking the same question to Microsoft, Google, Twitter, Facebook to see if they answer you? 😏
I do not know if your question is seriously meant or just a joke. If it's a joke, I can laugh with you, if it is seriously meant, then I ask you to follow what is happening in the world today, then you will find the answer to your question.

Kaki

Level 1
Verified
Jul 24, 2017
If Kaspersky decides to withdraw funds from your credit card which is linked to your Kaspersky account, what are you doing if it happens ? 😄

Reactions: micasayyo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.