Battle Kaspersky Total Security vs Eset Smart Security 8 vs Qihoo 360 Total Security (w/firewall control)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parth Dhanani

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 30, 2014
Guys help me with this which one according to you is really better
Resources:
Total Protection:
Better detection:

P.S. I have tried looking at AV tests and AV-Comparatives test Kaspersky and Qihoo do really good but the on the other hand when I see user reviews people prefer ESET ...
Both ESET and Kaspersky come with multiple really good protection packages but which one is really really effective?

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
It depends on you man, there is no real winner. Quihoo has the higher detection rate outhere, but will block many legit files as malware as well. Cracks and patches, some addons for games etc. Kaspersky in the other hand is cool but it's heavier than the both mentioned above. ESET is the most user friendly, with default settings is enough for most users, and runs smooth.

Reactions: Sven
D

Deleted member 21043

They all have a good detection rate. However, in my opinion, ESET is more user-friendly, easier-to-use and works better for me. However, everyone is different and you must experiment and try different blends of security configurations to find then one you like best which is secure and right for you. :)

Parth Dhanani

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 30, 2014
It depends on you man, there is no real winner. Quihoo has the higher detection rate outhere, but will block many legit files as malware as well. Cracks and patches, some addons for games etc. Kaspersky in the other hand is cool but it's heavier than the both mentioned above. ESET is the most user friendly, with default settings is enough for most users, and runs smooth.

Yes I can deal with false detection and from my experience Qihoo is really lighter than both of these on its basic protection but if you enable Bitdefender and Avira protection it comes on a lil heavy....
And from what I see Kaspersky provides some really unique features like password field protection in ie atleast and Application control + Network Monitor + KSN ... here does eset provide somethings like this?? and Why is ESET rated so low in AV tests when I see most of the users very happy with its result??

They all have a good detection rate. However, in my opinion, ESET is more user-friendly, easier-to-use and works better for me. However, everyone is different and you must experiment and try different blends of security configurations to find then one you like best which is secure and right for you. :)

That's what I am try to do tested Qihoo 360 very secure great but no firewall and no out of the box features like Kaspersky and eset

And I wish to invest in one if Qihoo supplies it for free why spend money so making up my mind :)

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Yes I can deal with false detection and from my experience Qihoo is really lighter than both of these on its basic protection but if you enable Bitdefender and Avira protection it comes on a lil heavy....
And from what I see Kaspersky provides some really unique features like password field protection in ie atleast and Application control + Network Monitor + KSN ... here does eset provide somethings like this?? and Why is ESET rated so low in AV tests when I see most of the users very happy with its result??

That's what I am try to do tested Qihoo 360 very secure great but no firewall and no out of the box features like Kaspersky and eset

And I wish to invest in one if Qihoo supplies it for free why spend money so making up my mind :)

People are happy with ESET because they are not going to uberhackz.com to download files just to see if their AV will block these files. Kaspersky and Symantec has silence vote to governmental spying malware, so you have no real protection there, same probably works for the rest of av solutions. AV's just work against regular malware, so then ESET becomes great, since is more than what a person with a brain could need. And according to AV comparatives, ESET is top rank at system performance impact if I remember correctly. You can tweak it to be the lighter, but you need some ram free for it. Personally I run 8GB and ESET runs smoother than quihoo on my machine, it depends of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parth Dhanani

Parth Dhanani

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 30, 2014
People are happy with ESET because they are not going to uberhackz.com to download files just to see if their AV will block these files. Kaspersky and Symantec has silence vote to governmental spying malware, so you have no real protection there, same probably works for the rest of av solutions. AV's just work against regular malware, so then ESET becomes great, since is more than what a person with a brain could need. And according to AV comparatives, ESET is top rank at system impact performance if I remember correctly. You can tweak it to be the lighter, but you need some ram free for it. Personally I run 8GB and ESET runs smoother than quihoo on my machine, it depends of course.

So can you help me to tweak it and add custom HIP's

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
So can you help me to tweak it and add custom HIP's
There is a thread over the forums about how to set ESET for maximum protection. The thing is, why would you need custom HIPS rules, I mean are you going to work in dangerous environment? If you use a computer for regular use I think you don't need that. I only have basic extra rules, and HIPS set to Smart mode, which will prompt more than Automatic Mode.

I added these to reg protection under HIPS, worked in the past vs some random malware.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

For performance you want to uncheck the boxes at the scheduler, and let only automatic updates and log maintenance enabled. This way ESET shouldn't scan mem every system startup.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its a tough choice they have spectacular in such nearly excellent performance.

KIS = if you want their fully effective application control and other features.
ESET = if you want their rapid detection performance especially zero day.
Qihoo 360 = as usual multiple engines for better protection.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I've been using Kaspersky for about 4yrs and have never been infected, yes their application control (set at untrusted) has blocked every unsafe file and probably makes your system near bullet proof. I am currently using Kaspersky Total Security and find it very good, so my vote goes to Kaspersky. Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas!

Parth Dhanani

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 30, 2014
I've been using Kaspersky for about 4yrs and have never been infected, yes their application control (set at untrusted) has blocked every unsafe file and probably makes your system near bullet proof. I am currently using Kaspersky Total Security and find it very good, so my vote goes to Kaspersky. Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas!

Can you give me the link for Kaspersky Total Security

Cehson

Level 2
Verified
Jul 31, 2014
Hello all, so aplication control set on Untrusted is like Avast on hardened mode ? I changed from Emsi to Kis coz i think it gives me much more control over the programs :)

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
if you want free software i suggest Qihoo+Comodo Fire Wall
if you want paid software i suggest Emsisoft
but in this topic i vote to kaspersky(for proactive defense/awards and many feature ...)

Parth Dhanani

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 30, 2014
if you want free software i suggest Qihoo+Comodo Fire Wall
if you want paid software i suggest Emsisoft
but in this topic i vote to kaspersky(for proactive defense/awards and many feature ...)

True but Kaspersky has more RAM usage and has slightly low detection rate than Qihoo 360 TS (I am saying this from AV comparatives results and my own personal tests I have been doing from MT's malware hub)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.