Battle Kaspersky vs Norton IS 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
I've been wondering this for a little while now. What do you like best?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I would have to say Norton Internet Security 2012 because of personal choice and what I have used of Norton Internet Security 2012, I also like the detection rate of Norton. Kaspersky is good for is sandbox mode, but I also like Norton because it doesn't use a lot of RAM usage.

For those who want a review here are a couple:

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Both are fairly even but Norton does have a higher detection rate. If you tweak KIS then it can be even more powerful then NIS. But KIS has had the same issues for years and years. It will slow your pc to a crawl. Mainly your browsing speeds.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
I would go for norton internet security suite 2012, I've used it and kinda like it.
i've used karspersky 2011 in the past, its a bit heavier on your system.
Norton is lighter :)

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I would have to go with KIS. I have posted in another section about my problems with NIS ( although it was a few years ago now and NIS has obviously improved since then) - once bitten, twice shy.
I am very happy with KIS, been using it for 3 years now with no slowdowns whatsoever. Each new version is a big improvement from the last in terms of ram usage. A very satisfied customer

ps: Most of us know this, but for those ho don't, when switching from one AV to the next, make sure you use their respective removal tools after uninstalling the AV - as this will eliminate slowdowns.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
ps: Most of us know this, but for those ho don't, when switching from one AV to the next, make sure you use their respective removal tools after uninstalling the AV - as this will eliminate slowdowns.

Better then that. Mount a clean image. One stored with only your OS. I think you meant to so "eliminate any conflicts". Yes using the appropriate removal tool does help. Also commenting on NIS 2012 when you haven't used NIS in years is not really fair. Try NIS 2012 and see the difference. KIS may not be slow on your system but you are amongst the rare ones. Still till this day the Kaspersky forums are filled with complaints about system slow downs.

DiabloBlack

Nov 5, 2011
NIS for me, light weight, great detection rate, good interface. The NEW NIS is NOTHING like the OLD Norton USED to be. The current form of NIS is like a completely new product compared to old versions (pre 2009). I was very skeptical when I first tried the new version but have been in love with it ever since.

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Maximus - "Still till this day the Kaspersky forums are filled with complaints about system slow downs".

Yes, from the posts I've read, it's because that majority of them don't uninstall the conflicting software properly before installing KIS. Also a lot of people don't have enough ram installed.

Your right it's not fair to compare the two unless I try NIS (2012) as well. I'm not knocking NIS, its just that I am comfortable using KIS.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
So not true Viking. I have an Intel i5 w/6GB of ram and I notice the slow downs of KIS. Kaspersky is quick to jump the gun with everything. Every post has the same replies. Lets see your GSI log. Lets see your GSI log. Kaspersky wants to blame everyone else but themselves.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I think it is also up to personal preference on what you choose. Some say Norton is good and some say Kaspersky is good. Your choice ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
From the numerous threads I've read, my vote goes to NIS 2012 because it's light, gives superb protection and not so complicated for a newbies.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
There are still some resource hogging aspects in KIS 2012, such as the indiscriminate CPU and RAM usage during the not so fast scans. Checking changed executables also seems to be taking rather excessive time. But it's hard not to be impressed by the comprehensiveness of its features and the wealth and granularity of the available options, the strong Web Protection and impressive Application Control.

You don't get a second chance at making a good first impression and Norton does exactly that. The easiest and fastest installation process by far, and that's just the start, setting the tone for the outstanding experience that follows - it's streamlined and efficient in providing protection, nimble, unobtrusive and responsible power.

The interaction with Norton is so effortless, it's really easy to overlook and not appreciate all the hard work that went into it and take it for granted. And quite possibly, one of the reasons why I vote for Kaspersky - not as accomplished, more idiosyncratic, but excellent nevertheless.

LochNess

Apr 2, 2011
I've used both but have opted for 'NIS' for last couple of years... but, I would be happy with either...

I would like to see Norton explore sandboxing possiblities...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.