Battle KeePass or LastPass

Status
Not open for further replies.

GA4E1

Thread author
Verified
May 4, 2013
What is the password manager you prefer? KeePass or LastPass?

I have used both but cannot see which one is better. Looking for some opinions.

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Aug 26, 2012
GA4E1 said:
What is the password manager you prefer? KeePass or LastPass?

I have used both but cannot see which one is better. Looking for some opinions.

You couldn't see which one is better because they are a little bit different from each other. Lastpass is mostly web based, with browser extensions, while Keepass stores its passwords on the local machine. I think you're better off with Lastpass as it's easier to use and user friendly. I personally use both. See my config.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've used both LastPass and KeePass (with Chrome extension), of both LastPass was far more easier to manage and maintain. Whereas KeePass, although it's stored locally it was more challenging to use and constant prompts to allow the extension access to credientials. Of the two, LastPass would get my vote, keep in mind it's web-based so all your credentials are securely storage elsewhere. LastPass is also available for Windows RT.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Both will have their advantages and disadvantages.

I prefer LastPass because I can use it on more then one system and have all of my info handy.

If you have more than one system or use more than one system this is a big advantage.

Another advantage since your info is stored on LastPass online servers, if you system got corrupted from malware or failed components you will not loose any of your info.

And still another advantage, since LastPass encrypts your data, if you happened to get infected with a Trojan that steals data, the malware would only be able to get encrypted data which would be useless.

Thanks.:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I've used those both before and everything have primarily in secure the passwords database.

Its your choice and to make it simple as possible here's the difference.

Lastpass stored passwords from the encrypted servers however if no internet connection then you need to have a backup for offline.

While Keepass only for offline database storage.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
I use LastPass on Opera - no complaints. I use S10 Password Manager on IE10 - microscopic download and memory useage, local disc encription, right click to fill in password on any login.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
S10 password manager or password vault is pretty same for Keepass, no plugins for browsers, light from usage and works well for all browsers.

toffee

Level 6
Verified
Feb 17, 2013
I use LastPass on a few devices with cloud sync. It's very comfortable and I can't see any cons.
I use Sticky Password as well - without sync.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.