Kuttz

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Hi,
I'm looking for tweaking my security configurations for the better and stay minimum system performance impact with maximum security as possible.For that I updated my security configurations and let me know if I needed to make any changes in my configurations.

Also is it OK to use Crystal Security with Comodo Internet Security ?? Since Comodo Internet Security had a weak anti virus engine I need to use a companion anti virus to make everything safe. I were really impressed by the crystal securities way of malware detection.

Thanks in advance:)

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Good config!!
Any backup solution?
Consider one or two more on demand scanners and a second browser
Thanks for sharing it with us :)

*Please add your username to the thread title as this makes it easier to identify the configuration.

Kuttz

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Good config!!
Any backup solution?
Consider one or two more on demand scanners and a second browser
Thanks for sharing it with us :)

*Please add your username to the thread title as this makes it easier to identify the configuration.

Thanks for the suggestion I will consider that and sorry for the username error happened because I were new here and familiarizing MT now.

Very good config.

I recommend you install Sandboxie and Shadow Defender.
Have you enabled UAC? UAC can safe your PC!

I currently disabled UAC which I find it a bit inconvenient for normal day to day usage. I think I had to consider the Sandboxie considering its bullet proof security feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Exterminator

Frame of Mind

Level 1
Verified
May 7, 2015
Looks good, here are some tips:

1 - Get HTTPS everywhere.
2 - Get unchecky.

Better safe than sorry!

Other than that, good job!

Reactions: Kuttz

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hi, a good config, but I suggest you to install Collusion extension for Chrome, that let you know which websites are tracking you.
In addition you can install also MPC-HC, which is a very good media player.
For the rest, a very good config ;)

Reactions: scot and Kuttz

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Two simple steps to improve security:
  • Do not download malware samples
  • Do not visit phishing websites
Make sure "Enable Phishing and Malware protection" is checked in Chrome chrome://settings/. Google's SafeBrowsing is effective at blocking Phishing sites and Malicious downloads. To improve Chrome's performance, Bitdefender TrafficLight may be uninstalled, upon user preference.

upload_2015-5-12_18-52-43.png

If you encounter issues with Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (Free), then HitmanPro Alert 3 (Free) is a good alternate which includes an on-demand scan of the HitmanPro scanner (Free*).

*A licensed version of Hitman Pro 3.7 includes Alert at no extra cost.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Pretty strong configuration, actually you don't need Bitdefender Trafficlight when Avast Free is there and Avast Online Security extension is available.

Just a regular backup from cloud up to your external HDD/USB and regular creating system image is suppose fine already.

Reactions: JM Safe and scot

Kuttz

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Two simple steps to improve security:
  • Do not download malware samples
  • Do not visit phishing websites
Make sure "Enable Phishing and Malware protection" is checked in Chrome chrome://settings/. Google's SafeBrowsing is effective at blocking Phishing sites and Malicious downloads. To improve Chrome's performance, Bitdefender TrafficLight may be uninstalled, upon user preference.

I downloaded malware samples and visited phishing sites only in VM OS to test various anti virus detection ability. Such a habit of VM based OS and deliberately trying to infect the OS idea is actually got after I started visiting MalwareTips:D. Before my MalwareTips discovery I was always a bit sceptical in installing new antivirus to my PC and was always depended on review done by PC mags, Av-Test, Av comparative etc. which all I don't have any personal experience with the new anti virus performance and I had to believe the reviewer.

Kuttz

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Pretty strong configuration, actually you don't need Bitdefender Trafficlight when Avast Free is there and Avast Online Security extension is available.

Just a regular backup from cloud up to your external HDD/USB and regular creating system image is suppose fine already.

I prefered Bitdefender Trafficlight because of its amazing phishing protection that combined with uBlock Origin works really good.:)

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
I didn't think TrafficLight was still going, interesting. You've got a well rounded setup there honestly. UAC is "good", but it won't really prevent as much as people might think. These days malware has digital signatures, almost every program causes UAC to fire up, and clicking "Allow" opens up your front door to whatever wants to come in. I think of UAC as more of a "Are you paying attention?" measure than any real security against something happening. I wouldn't worry about an extension like Collusion since you have a solid ad/tracking blocker like UBlock in place. If it is doing its job, knowing who is doing the tracking doesn't matter all that much. Of course that is merely my personal opinion. Other than suggesting Sandboxie, I think you're pretty well covered for standard usage.

Reactions: Kuttz

Kuttz

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
How effective is the Microsoft's Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit 5.2 (EMET 5.2) ??

Does EMET can be a substitute for MalwareBytes Anti Exploit ??

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
EMET has kind of lost its luster over time. Hackers have had plenty of time to adjust to it and most serious malware can break through it now. I'm unfamiliar with Anti Exploit, so I can't really speak on it. I only know what the vendor says it can do, but vendor claims and reality often differs. That said, that same company produces the widely hailed and trusted MBAM.

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How effective is the Microsoft's Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit 5.2 (EMET 5.2) ??

HitmanPro Alert 3 is better as explained above.

EMET is free to download and use, try it and then compare to others.

Reactions: JM Safe and Kuttz

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Yes it can be substitute to MBAE where the ability from mitigation techniques are exist which not preset from EMET but also vice versa. You may use both which does not collide to each other.

Reactions: JM Safe and Kuttz

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.