Not open for further replies.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
It’s a big day here at LastPass. We’re thrilled to announce that we’re joining LogMeIn. As one of the world’s leading SaaS companies, we can’t imagine a better team to align with our values and product-driven mission. With their experience in growing successful brands like join.me, we’re excited to join LogMeIn in delivering the next generation of identity and access management for individuals, teams and companies, with LastPass at the forefront.
When we started LastPass in 2008, we set out on a mission to provide a smart solution to the growing password problem. We aimed to build a product that helped people efficiently manage their passwords, in a way that not only increased their productivity but also improved their security.
Since then, LastPass has grown by leaps and bounds, helping millions of consumers and tens of thousands of businesses worldwide with password management. We are so incredibly proud of our team’s accomplishments and grateful to the users who have supported us on our journey.

Full article. LastPass Joins the LogMeIn Family | The LastPass Blog

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Ok but I hope that LastPass know the vulnerabilities in their code. ...

Already known and patched long ago. :)

Quote: "
LastPass contacted us with the following clarification:
  • These reports were responsibly disclosed to our team over a year ago
  • All reports were addressed immediately at that time and do not pose an ongoing risk to LastPass users
  • Users do not need to wait to understand what the reports were about - all of them are covered in Martin's post from last year with the exception of the account recovery report, which was addressed at that time but was not covered in his original blog post
  • It's also worth noting that we explicitly warn users not to use the Remember Password option "
Source: Researchers to reveal critical LastPass issues in November 2015 - gHacks Tech News

Glen

Level 1
Nov 13, 2011
The comments on the blog post summarise my opinion. I think it's time for me to start looking for a new password manager. I'm interested to see where it goes, but I'm not holding my breath.

LogMeIn was originally free (with a limit on number of PCs, 5?) but that was done away with in 2013. The product itself was and still is decent but price hikes and poor customer service have sullied their reputation. I hope LastPass doesn't go the same way but perhaps that's just wishful thinking on my part. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I do not think that this buy out is a good thing for LasPass. :(
They got 15 million I imagine they really don't care what happens to it.I think it is time to start testing some other options myself.
Although there was a lot of speculation when Sandboxie was bought out and that seems to have for the most part stayed as it was.

I

illumination

They got 15 million I imagine they really don't care what happens to it.I think it is time to start testing some other options myself.
Although there was a lot of speculation when Sandboxie was bought out and that seems to have for the most part stayed as it was.
Keepass even though a little bit of a learning curve is a great Alt.. LogMeIn just has a not so good reputation, and I can not believe Lastpass thinks it is a good thing to team up with them. Personally, I was considering the Keepass move a while back, just to pull my PW's out of the cloud and back in my complete control as it should be, this was just the news to motivate me to do it sooner.

I will be smart about it, and not only store a copy of the database on a flash drive, but also make copies of the PW's in Note Pad and store that on a separate Flash drive just in case, and all will be covered.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Damn really love lastpass, have been using it for too long to be changing password managers now. According to the email they would be adding on even more features, which I take it will come from the LogMeIn side. Lastpass was really about making it affordable and providing an excellent product at the same time, I don't think many companies see it this way let alone LogMeIn.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Damn. Anyone know anything about this company?
From what can be read from the comments at the bottom of Lastpass' News page, LogMeIn used to offer a free service. Based solely on these few comments, as a whole, their consensus seemed to gravitate toward a formerly free service, after having become paid, also had it's prices set (high) while the quality of customer service became low.
Let's hope this won't come to pass, or rather "LastPass"(..sorry, I couldn't resist!:p)

When I'd clicked <like> it was because frogboy shared this. I do not like uncertain changes like this & shall hope, as exterminator20's mention of Sandboxie, that Lastpass can
'..for the most part stay as it was.'.
illumination's new recipe containing Keepass as it's main ingredient sounded sounded quite doable!;)

Last edited:
Reactions: LabZero and frogboy

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I don't think I could find another free password manager as flexible and secure (which may be gone soon) as LastPass but my passwords are extremely important and being bought by a company that I am uncertain of makes me uncertain of how safe my passwords are. If I'd switch, it would need to be one that can import passwords from LastPass.

I might be a little too hard on LastPass but I have little trust for companies that sell out for money. I was a die hard LastPass fan but this has shaken my opinion pretty heavily. I keep hearing bad things about LogMeIn which doesn't help... I guess I'll attempt to find another...

I don't think I could find another free password manager as flexible and secure (which may be gone soon) as LastPass but my passwords are extremely important and being bought by a company that I am uncertain of makes me uncertain of how safe my passwords are. If I'd switch, it would need to be one that can import passwords from LastPass.

I might be a little too hard on LastPass but I have little trust for companies that sell out for money. I was a die hard LastPass fan but this has shaken my opinion pretty heavily. I keep hearing bad things about LogMeIn which doesn't help... I guess I'll attempt to find another...
Please let me know which one you decide to switch to. I've tried many, but Lastpass has always been my favorite.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Please let me know which one you decide to switch to. I've tried many, but Lastpass has always been my favorite.

Currently I'm testing out Sticky Password. Seems to run a program which takes up around 50MB of RAM and it interacts with the browser add on to even work (kind of ridiculous for a password manager to use that much RAM) but it allowed importing of LastPass very smoothly. Doesn't seem to have an authenticator settings like LastPass which is a huge disappointment. Seems to save password on their servers and on your hard drive (I really don't want my passwords on my hard drive - I don't even know if they are encrypted or not). The sync service to putting your passwords under it's 256bit encrypted server seems to be pro version which you get 30 days for. All of this is just an educated guess. It's my first time using it.

I tried out Dashlane before but never really like it. I think it wouldn't work on some sites. Might be fixed however I think it doesn't store your password in an encrypted cloud server for free either. I could be wrong. I also think they had a lot of breaches or something in which they had to send an email to those whose passwords were taken.

Without LastPass, I honestly don't know where to turn. Causing me to stress out a bit honestly.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Well... I have probably like 300 days left on a free one year license when I signed up for the True Key beta. Guess I'll hope that works and can import from other managers. The free version has a limit of 15 logins. I have over 90. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.