For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
Other operating system
Running as standard user on Windows 11 Pro
On-device encryption
N/A
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
Off
Network firewall
Enabled
About WiFi router
We have a tri-band router at home. One 5Ghz channel for me and one 5Ghz for my wife. All IOT devices and smartphones are on the Guest network of 2.4 Ghz (the 2.4 Ghz band itself is not used) with a short lease time (12 hours). It is a setup idea I copied from a member on MT. It actually works very well for us. In all our rooms of our appartement we achieve maximum ISP contract WIFI speeds (up/down) with this 'each has its own channel' setup. This setup also has some security benefits (the 2.4 Ghz network is partitioned and the 5 Ghz networks have MAC-IP binding). Our router is supposed to have stateful packet inspection on top of the NAT-firewall and checks for clients using not updated vulnerable protocols (and blocks them).
Real-time security
  1. Running Standard User with deny elevation for unsigned
  2. Microsoft Defender in cloud "Zero Tolerance" (whitelist) mode
  3. WDAC-ISG (local tighter whitelist mode for user folders as fallback)
  4. Software Restriction Policy default deny in user folders for Standard User
  5. DocumentsAntiExploit + FirewallHardening + Network hardening + Service hardening
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
  1. Enabled Code Integrity Guard for Office 2019 and often exploited Windows processes running as standard user
  2. Enabled all attack surface reduction rules of Micorsoft Defender (using powershell)
  3. Enabled Protected folders and advanced ransomware protection
Periodic malware scanners
Microsoft Malware Removal Tool (runs automatically on monthly patch Tuesday)
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
None, do not participate
Browser(s) and extensions
  1. Chrome 'trusted sites' profile with hardened permissions with TrafficLight, DarkReader and AdGuard with custom filters only
  2. Chrome 'web surfing' profile with most site permission blocked with TrafficlLight, DarkReader and AdGuard with custom filters only
  3. Edge as PDF reader with nearly all site permissions blocked and all security features in strict (and all Microsoft bloat disabled)
Secure DNS
  1. Windows DNS settings
    NextDNS free 1st account with all security features enabled including parental control with only a few Top Level Domains allowed like @TairikuOkami)
  2. Chrome - DNS over HTTPS setting
    NextDNS free 2nd account with security enabled and AdGuard NDS plus OISD.NL blocklists enabled, no logs

Desktop VPN
Free Windscribe (using only when on holiday for banking)
Password manager
None
File and Photo backup
Syncback Free to external USB HD and we are using an extra Gmail account to send important documents to (e.g. insurance, mortgage, testament, work contracts etc)
Active subscriptions
    • None
System recovery
EaseUS free
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Working from home
    • Making audio/video calls
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Laptop with Ryzen7 5700U, 16GB RAM and 1TB M2.SSD with Windows 11 Pro
Notable changes
  1. Dropped third-party security, back to WHHL and Defender on MAX.
  2. Running standard user again and blocking LolBins
  3. Set default deny SRP on user folders
  4. Copied Andy's setup using Windows Pro features
What I'm looking for?

Looking for maximum feedback.

LennyFox

Level 7
Thread author
Jan 18, 2024
Could not resist the idea of having two execution whitelists (WDAC-ISG and Spyshelter 15), so combined it with Bitdefender free. WDAC-ISG (like SAC) is designed to run with any antivirus solution and Spyshelter website also state that "Our unique technology doesn't conflict with any antiviruse. SpyShelter sits on top of your antivirus". WHHL has teh advantage that it also enables Software Restriction Policies allowing executables, but blocking risky file extensions containing scriptsand command lines.

EDIT: Dropped Bitdefender and Spyshelter, back to all Microsoft & Andy Ful setup :cool:

Last edited:

LennyFox

Level 7
Thread author
Jan 18, 2024
Everything is good except 3 things:
  • Your computer doesn't meet the requirement to use Bitdefender (I9 14900KS or R9 7950X3D)
  • Use vpn for banking might get flagged for fraud.
  • Password manager.
1 Bitdefender does not feel heavier than Avast or Microsoft Defender, but your comment makes sense, a Free AV needs an expensive CPU to balance the spend a little :)
2 I use a VPN server in same town where I live (when abroad), never ran into a problem yet (but it is a valid remark, which I had not realized, thanks (y) ).
3.I am always using pass phrases which I associate with the website or service I am using, easy to remember for me hard to guess for others
E.g. I associate your nickname white mouse with a pink elephant, so when you would have a website with security related info I would use a passphrase like "@11 the Pink Elephants are dancing" (when the cat is away from home, it is secure for a white mouse to dance). The joys of a twisted mind I guess ;)

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
E.g. I associate your nickname white mouse with a pink elephant, so when you would have a website with security related info I would use a passphrase like "@11 the Pink Elephants are dancing" (when the cat is away from home, it is secure for a white mouse to dance). The joys of a twisted mind I guess ;)
GG I just cracked your MalwareTips password, it was imissboramurdar, consider changing it.

Great security btw!

LennyFox

Level 7
Thread author
Jan 18, 2024
I don't know whether this option remains after the PRO trial has expired, but when you set Spyshelter to paranoid, it shows a popup when (non-Microsoft signed) applications start.

When the application control popup appears, users have the option to block, allow once, trust program or trust publisher. I got 5 popups in total (I have a fairly vanilla dominantly Microsoft Software setup, so maybe not representative for other users). Now Spyshelter is running in paranoid mode.

Reactions: Nevi and Dave Russo

LennyFox

Level 7
Thread author
Jan 18, 2024
@WhiteMouse , @Jonny Quest and @Dave Russo

When I tried VPN at home, I had a similar experience with my bank. When doing a purchase on a website, normally I only have to scan the QR code (generated for the purchase) with my phone and the mobile phone banking app asks me to enter my pin-code and then I am finished (single authentication challenge). When using the VPN I also had to use the passkey calculator of my bank (when I activate that calculator like device with my pincode, I have to enter the unique number on the banking website and it generates a pass key which I have to enter on the website again to verify it is me). So it also seems to ask for a second authentication challenge when using VPN on a different device.

Last edited:

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
@WhiteMouse , @Jonny Quest and @Dave Russo

When I tried VPN at home, I had a similar experience with my bank. When doing a purchase on a website, normally I only have to scan the QR code with my phone and the mobile phone banking app asks me to enter my pin-code and then I am finished (single challenge). When using the VPN I also had to use the passkey calculator of my bank (when I activate that device with my pincode, I have to enter the number on the banking screen and it generates a pass key which I have to enter on the website). So it seems to ask for a second authentication challenge when using VPN
Yep, and I now no longer use a VPN while banking. I don't know if using OpenVpn in Mullvad and connecting to a closer server to my state helped? Before with Mullvad using WireGuard, I was getting emails of concern from the bank.

Now, I'm just using F-Secure online banking protection without a VPN and am able to log in without any prompts at all.

Mar 10, 2024
Yep, and I now no longer use a VPN while banking. I don't know if using OpenVpn in Mullvad and connecting to a closer server to my state helped? Before with Mullvad using WireGuard, I was getting emails of concern from the bank.

Now, I'm just using F-Secure online banking protection without a VPN and am able to log in without any prompts at all.
When it comes to banking and using a VPN, one needs to spend a little more money to get a dedicated IP from the Vender which once established with the bank will no longer be an issue.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
When it comes to banking and using a VPN, one needs to spend a little more money to get a dedicated IP from the Vender which once established with the bank will no longer be an issue.
Do you think it helps though, that I do all of my online banking from my home network which even though it's behind a cheaper Linksys router (I may need to reconsider that one, link below) that is up-to-date with the firmware, is password-protected and I go over my settings every now and then? 9 times out of 10 when I bank, it's from the desktop PC that is connected directly by Ethernet to the router, and I only have 1 tab open in Chrome while banking.

My bank has mentioned using their phone banking app which has so many "wonderful features", but so far I refuse to install that on my phone, I just don't have any real peace of mind about that one.

Mar 10, 2024
Do you think it helps though, that I do all of my online banking from my home network which even though it's behind a cheaper Linksys router (I may need to reconsider that one, link below) that is up-to-date with the firmware, is password-protected and I go over my settings every now and then? 9 times out of 10, when I bank it's from the desktop PC that is connected directly by Ethernet to the router, and I only have 1 tab open in Chrome while banking.

My bank has mentioned using their phone banking app which has so many "wonderful features", but so far I refuse to install that on my phone, I just don't have any real peace of mind about that one.

Personally as you just mentioned, banking online is a risk anytime. I prefer to do this in person as much as possible. All banking institutions I have seen already use a secure connection as far as encryption goes, so I would not deem it necessary. I merely pointed out that if one intended upon using a VPN full time and needed access to their banking without issue a dedicated IP is the best method.

LennyFox

Level 7
Thread author
Jan 18, 2024
Decided to go back to running standard user after watching @cruelsister video on MBAM & UAC and @Andy Ful video's on antivirus challenges.

I returned to running standard user again because CS showed how trival it is to bypass UAC and Andy showed how easy it is to disable Defender protection with elevated privileges. I also reduced the SRP application level from all users to 'all except admin' and added block rules for the LoLbins mentioned in Github project. Reason for doing so is that all CS exploits in MBAM video would be blocked by SRP-SWH part of WHHL, except for one: the modified executable using NETSH to bypass MBAM. WDAC-ISG would have probably blocked this executable when it would not be signed by trusted software developer/publisher. But the 'probably' settled in my mind and started to doubt my decision to run admin again.

Running standard user enforces a hard border between standard user and admin (as opposed to UAC only providing a soft-border). Additionally I am blocking LoLBins (like Netsh) system wide when started by standard user. I kept Andy's set of SRP rules to block risky file extension to run in user folders and block executables running in archives and prevent misuse of LNK and UAC holes. Although I can execute and install programs my setup is actually whitelist based. System wide Malware Defender's only allows programs to run which are whitelisted in the cloud and the user folders are additionally protected with WDAC-ISG small (hence more aggressive) local whitelist (in case internet connection fails).

I have ran this standard user with hardened SWH-SRP and MD on MAX as long as I have this laptop without problems, so I am not expecting any problems with this enhanced setup (with WDAC-ISG added). This probably also means that I will have less to post, because there is no need to change something when it is working perfectly.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
WDAC-ISG would have probably blocked this executable when it would not be signed by trusted software developer/publisher. But the 'probably' settled in my mind and started to doubt my decision to run admin again.

Yes. It would be blocked. The ISG without SmartScreen backend takes into account the file prevalence. Non-prevalent files are blocked, except for files specially whitelisted by Microsoft. The attack could be blocked even when the file has got reputable certificate.
The attack would be also blocked by H_C in Recommended Settings.(y)

LennyFox

Level 7
Thread author
Jan 18, 2024
Yes. It would be blocked. The ISG without SmartScreen backend takes into account the file prevalence. Non-prevalent files are blocked, except for files specially whitelisted by Microsoft. The attack could be blocked even when the file has got reputable certificate.
The attack would be also blocked by H_C in Recommended Settings.(y)
Thanks. My setup is inspired by your "super strong two user account WHHL setup' ;)(y)

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024
Decided to go back to running standard user after watching @cruelsister video on MBAM & UAC and @Andy Ful video's on antivirus challenges.

I returned to running standard user again because CS showed how trival it is to bypass UAC and Andy showed how easy it is to disable Defender protection with elevated privileges. I also reduced the SRP application level from all users to 'all except admin' and added block rules for the LoLbins mentioned in Github project. Reason for doing so is that all CS exploits in MBAM video would be blocked by SRP-SWH part of WHHL, except for one: the modified executable using NETSH to bypass MBAM. WDAC-ISG would have probably blocked this executable when it would not be signed by trusted software developer/publisher. But the 'probably' settled in my mind and started to doubt my decision to run admin again.

Running standard user enforces a hard border between standard user and admin (as opposed to UAC only providing a soft-border). Additionally I am blocking LoLBins (like Netsh) system wide when started by standard user. I kept Andy's set of SRP rules to block risky file extension to run in user folders and block executables running in archives and prevent misuse of LNK and UAC holes. Although I can execute and install programs my setup is actually whitelist based. System wide Malware Defender's only allows programs to run which are whitelisted in the cloud and the user folders are additionally protected with WDAC-ISG small (hence more aggressive) local whitelist (in case internet connection fails).

I have ran this standard user with hardened SWH-SRP and MD on MAX as long as I have this laptop without problems, so I am not expecting any problems with this enhanced setup (with WDAC-ISG added). This probably also means that I will have less to post, because there is no need to change something when it is working perfectly.
That's awesome, now you can place it on the shooting range to test its ability to sustain. lol j/k, but seriously running windows as it was designed will carry you far. The admin/standard accounts were placed in the OS for a reason. Just that act alone will help harden your system, something many are failing to understand for home uses/family.

LennyFox

Level 7
Thread author
Jan 18, 2024
That's awesome, now you can place it on the shooting range to test its ability to sustain. lol j/k, but seriously running windows as it was designed will carry you far. The admin/standard accounts were placed in the OS for a reason. Just that act alone will help harden your system, something many are failing to understand for home uses/family.
Running double whitelist (cloud of Defender, local of WDAC-ISG) as a standard user could be considered both layered protection as well as good security habits ;)

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024
Running double whitelist (cloud of Defender, local of WDAC-ISG) as a standard user could also be considered both layered protection as well as good security habits ;)
Sure, if you have the knowledge and capabilities to do so properly and not misconfigure it.

Although keep in mind whitelisting is allowing, which certainly requires those habits to verify.

Last edited:
Reactions: toto_10

LennyFox

Level 7
Thread author
Jan 18, 2024
Sure, if you have the knowledge and capabilities to do so properly and not misconfigure it.

Although keep in mind whitelisting is allowing, which certainly requires those habits to verify.
Agree, but some habits can be automated and enforced by tools. I have two chrome profiles with wo different DNS settings (with different security measures and limitations), which are sort of similar to using my admin and standard user account, The good habit is to use the correct profile for the intended purpose (web surfing versus trusted sites). With technology the user is always part of the solution (with good habits) or part of the problem (ignorance or over confidence), but no matter how good your driving skills or habits are, you are safer in a 5 star NCAP car than a 2 star NCAP car, you are safer with safety belt and airbag than only applying (the good habit of holding) the steering wheel firmly with two hands in the ten for two position.

Last edited:
Reactions: toto_10

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.