Linux Lands on NSA Watch List

• Thread starter Deleted member 178
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Visiting a popular Linux Website could make an individual a target of government scrutiny.

New disclosures and investigations into the activities of the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) have revealed fresh insights about the targets of cyber-surveillance activities. Among the new revelations are details about some of the target locations for the NSA XKeyscore system, which monitors and collects Internet data.

Source

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
are they really this paranoid?

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
they know i'm downloading Kali. maybe they can help more by seeding :p

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
lol , in fact you downloading Kali from an NSA hidden server :p

I

illumination

Thread author
With all of the distro testing, and linux forums i have been visiting, they are probably having a hay day watching me :D How many people test upwards of 5 to 7 distros a day lol...

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
LOL They can't do anything in Iraq
Monitoring internet can't stop real people on the ground.
These NSA folks watch too much Hollywood movies.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
monitoring is like a sweep the floor, they cancel most threats but some remains; you never heard the ones they cancelled, you see only the ones that bypass it.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I can't help but wonder whether the flurry of suspicious activity I've seen around my Facebook account recently (fake accounts being pushed to me, very cleverly exploiting Facebook's 'friend suggest' system) have anything to do with my activity around Linux and in particular installing TOR (which I actually did for pretty innocent reasons and no longer use anyway).

I don't know whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that where once I could have finished this post with "I guess we'll never know", I now have to end with "I guess we'll have to wait and see what further leaks come out"... Not sure I want to know how much monitoring of me they're doing, I'm not doing anything illegal, knowing about the surveillance only serves to make me more paranoid about my privacy :(

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
you are wrong Cowpipe, the facebook activity you refer is not the NSA, it is Mark Z. trying to make money on you :D

I

illumination

Thread author
My post above, i was only playing in.. :) Seriously, the NSA are not going to waste resources on harmless users, I.E. those of us interested in Linux.. Most of the focus was on Tails/TOR, even then, there are many users of both, and they would have a hard time keeping up with them all.. It is one thing to collect tons of Data, its a whole other ball game sifting through it all :D

Reactions: Cowpipe
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.