Advice Request Looking for advice for new Desktop I will get. (Soon I hope.)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
But I already have a question or two about Norton 360 Deluxe. It comes with unlimited use VPN. Maybe not the best, but still of better use to me then the so-called VPN that comes with BD Total Security. (A whopping 200mb a day! :cautious: so take it out already, Bitdefender, who are you kidding here.)

But my question about the Norton VPN is this, when I use it, is it compatible with NextDNS? I think I read somewhere that it could cause issues between the two, but I am not certain. Also, once I have Norton 360 Deluxe installed, are there Windows functions that I do not need to use or activate? (Just want to be careful.)
Read the small print before installing, and iirc deleting a Norton account is impossible.

Unpopular Opinion
Don't be an idiot and use all their online services if you don't need to. Grabbing what seems to a be FREE license might not be worth it. Your PC (up to 5 devices) will only be covered for the next 12 months and your renewal premium could be $15 or $50. It's even worse if you opt-in to use all those additional online services, as migrating away may not be plain sailing.

SOME EXAMPLES
  • Bitwarden user? No need for Norton Password Manager
  • Not a VPN user? No need for Norton Secure VPN
  • Got an external HDD? No need for 50GB Cloud Backup
  • Google One subscriber? No need for Dark Web Monitoring
Here are a few Norton Secure VPN reviews:
Use web search to find other users feedback about other Norton products and services and problems they have experienced.

I do not have experience with NextDNS, no comment.

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Read the small print before installing, and iirc deleting a Norton account is impossible.

Unpopular Opinion
Don't be an idiot and use all their online services if you don't need to. Grabbing what seems to a be FREE license might not be worth it. Your PC (up to 5 devices) will only be covered for the next 12 months and your renewal premium could be $15 or $50. It's even worse if you opt-in to use all those additional online services, as migrating away may not be plain sailing.

SOME EXAMPLES
  • Bitwarden user? No need for Norton Password Manager
  • Not a VPN user? No need for Norton Secure VPN
  • Got an external HDD? No need for 50GB Cloud Backup
  • Google One subscriber? No need for Dark Web Monitoring
Here are a few Norton Secure VPN reviews:
Use web search to find other users feedback about other Norton products and services and problems they have experienced.

I do not have experience with NextDNS, no comment.

@Ink

Wow, even though I believe that Norton 360 Deluxe is a great protection suite, I am now a lot more inclined to not install it and go the same way as with my current PC. I had not thought about the costs of everything together in their 360 Deluxe Suite when next year comes. Guess MS Defender and Firewall, plus other changes, are back on the menu. But I will try to improve on it where possible, like trying to harden Windows more where I can. (And also understand.)

@CyberTech

I was planning to use the VPN for Online banking. But I can find other ways to protect my online banking.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@Ink

Wow, even though I believe that Norton 360 Deluxe is a great protection suite, I am now a lot more inclined to not install it and go the same way as with my current PC. I had not thought about the costs of everything together in their 360 Deluxe Suite when next year comes. Guess MS Defender and Firewall, plus other changes, are back on the menu. But I will try to improve on it where possible, like trying to harden Windows more where I can. (And also understand.)

@CyberTech

I was planning to use the VPN for Online banking. But I can find other ways to protect my online banking.
Edge has it now for free see Discussion Thread - Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I would personally make it a habit to never discuss what type of modem/router i have openly or with anyone else on the internet. From a security standpoint. Default gateway IP's are not hard to find. Its just good practice to not divulge too much.

Thank you for the warning and in that case could you please remove the part I removed from my post?

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
If you buy a motherboard with Wi-Fi 6 (?) support, I suppose you consider get a router with Wi-Fi 6. Better speed and security.
:)

Maybe one day, but the problem is that if I buy a new router myself, then I lose all help from my ISP provider. (At least I seem to remember them saying that.) And I have asked them twice already this year if they could swap my old one out for their latest version, but they keep saying that my current one is still working perfectly, so... no deal.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

You could buy a wifi6 router and put the routet of your ISP in bridge mode. After setting up my own router I used to disable the Wifi networks of my ISP router and call them. Normally your new wifi network works also when ISP router is not in bridge mode. My ISP used to set routers in bridge overnight, but last time it took only 1 hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 100397

@Morro

Here are some suggestions for setting up your system:
- Do a clean install of the OS using a bootable USB.
- Consider creating a separate partition for personal files.
- Adjust features yourself in Windows Settings, Group Policy, Services, and other settings. (I recommend not using any software or scripts.)
- Use Hasleo Backup Suite for imaging software. (This software is reliable and has a neat interface. It's free imaging software, so if you’re interested, check it out.)
- Avoid installing security software solely based on a free license or its popularity or recommendation. Instead, test different software and setups to find the one that meets your security needs and preferences.
- Keep your security setup simple and avoid unnecessary software or extensions.

* I suggest creating a backup at every point. First, install backup software after clean installing Windows. Run the first or full backup with the required features for restoration. Backup once after Windows Updates and again after customization, and so on. This way, you won’t lose much or have to start over in case of any issues while setting up your system.
* I access email and banking on my personal system only with my home connection or mobile hotspot. I’m not sure how these services work in your country. If I use a VPN with these services, they detect suspicious connections or require verification steps, which can be a hassle. So, I choose not to use a VPN to avoid any issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyNetGirl

Level 3
Well-known
Jan 30, 2023
Hi,
I suggest changing the CPU from Intel i9 11900K to i7 13700k (and the motherboard accordingly)
newer generation, more features (specially in terms of security and vulnerabilities) and it will last longer.

• Thanks
Reactions: kylprq and Morro

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Hi,
I suggest changing the CPU from Intel i9 11900K to i7 13700k (and the motherboard accordingly)
newer generation, more features (specially in terms of security and vulnerabilities) and it will last longer.

Well, the PC is already ordered, so I can not change things anymore. :oops:

Reactions: eonline

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Well, I just found an e-mail with my tracking code for my new PC, so it should be here in a day or two. :D

And just in time, I also got an order delivered today. Two new USB sticks, (As if that is big news. :whistle:) but more importantly, my 2 Yubico Passkeys. I was able to register them both on my Google account already, and the rest I will have to see once my new PC is completely setup.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
McAfee's web/site advisor works really well; you could use it to mitigate the phishing attempts; other than that, banking sites would probably use https and so any exchange of information would be secure anyway
Being sensible also helps. Modern browsers are equipped with Google Safe Browsing which provides reasonable passive protection. Content blockers such as Adguard and uBlock can block known unsafe domains.

Some browsers have typo-squatting protection.

Having important sites bookmarked, or URLs saved in your Password Manager Notes (without saving login info) can prove its usefulness over relying on a search engine - which can occasionally provide unsafe results.

I would recommend Mobile banking over Internet banking where possible, on a device that's trusted, up to date and without TikTok or other random, social media or AI apps.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Well, I just found an e-mail with my tracking code for my new PC, so it should be here in a day or two. :D

And just in time, I also got an order delivered today. Two new USB sticks, (As if that is big news. :whistle:) but more importantly, my 2 Yubico Passkeys. I was able to register them both on my Google account already, and the rest I will have to see once my new PC is completely setup.

How is norton 360?

Reactions: Morro

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.