Question Looking for legitimacy on this

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

BigWrench

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Looking to see if anyone knows if this deal is legitimate or not. Not if NordPass is legit, but the offer to make it free. Seems too good to be true. Shows still valid until September 2024. Have emailed both for verification, haven’t heard anything back. Posting 2 links. Thanks, y’all ✌️

Last edited:
Reactions: vtqhtr413

entropism

Level 4
Verified
Jul 30, 2019
It's not free. Read the (not even that fine) print.

Purchase a two-year subscription ($43.85/£38.56) from our preferred partner and apply to receive a free Amazon voucher worth £38.56 or a voucher from one of our partners worth $43.85 (list here). You may purchase a longer subscription but you will receive the same voucher value as stated above. You MUST use this affiliated link and remain a subscriber for 60 days before you will become eligible to apply for the free voucher.

So you buy an overpriced password manager, and then get a gift card to X store of your choice. Sounds like a whooooooooole bunch of bullshit to me.

• Thanks
Reactions: BigWrench

BigWrench

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
ProtonVPN is a Swiss company whose mission is to provide security for all. They provide VPN for free, but with servers in only 1 country per region: USA, Netherlands and Japan , but each of those countries has many servers. You can support them with their paid plans which offers many servers inside many countries. Free VPN with no ads and no speed limits I experience no lag with their service in America. You may have heard of their other product ProtonMail. You may have heard also of their business model: freemium.

Then you need OpenVPN. A free VPN client engine is available for all major OS's. OpenVPN Connect - VPN For Your Operating System | OpenVPN . Their OpenVPN technology is used by most vpn vendors which license OpenVPN tech into their own vpn client apps. Its one of the standard vpn technologies. It is also built into some popular routers.

Then you just go to the accounts page of ProtonVPN after you register and download the openvpn configuration files for several servers, import them into the OpenVPN Windows client, enter the username and password provided by Proton and you are set.

I haven't done up a step by step guide for Windows, but I have done up a step by step guide for Ubuntu here: Free VPN servers configuration for Ubuntu 22.04 (steps for Gnome UI)
I have no idea what you're talking about, or where you're going with your response :unsure:

Nor do I have any idea why a password manager question was moved to a VPN forum

BigWrench

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
At a glance, legitimacy, free, Nord, he probably did not look close enough to realize its a password manager question.
That latter part is a good question :unsure:
Was hoping that someone would jump in and say, "yes, I purchased this and got my voucher"... I stumbled across this over the weekend, and it got me wondering. I have both Bitwarden and ProtonPass+, But I really like some of the integrations and tools that Nord brings to the table. Also the "protection and security" that they are known for. (which is a huge plus for anything Proton develops!) ✌️

Mar 10, 2024
Was hoping that someone would jump in and say, "yes, I purchased this and got my voucher"... I stumbled across this over the weekend, and it got me wondering. I have both Bitwarden and ProtonPass+, But I really like some of the integrations and tools that Nord brings to the table. Also the "protection and security" that they are known for. (which is a huge plus for anything Proton develops!) ✌️
I certainly can't help with that, but can state that it appears to be a few hoops to jump through.

Bitwardens premium is really cheap and affords some extras. I have not experienced proton pass yet, but am a fan of keepass stored on external devices.

entropism

Level 4
Verified
Jul 30, 2019
I have not experienced proton pass yet, but am a fan of keepass stored on external devices.
I'm a bitwarden user, but I jumped on the ProtonPass for $1/month for life deal. While i still use Bitwarden Premium (separate shared vault with my wife is invaluable for shared log-ins, like paying bills), what I've seen from ProtonPass is QUITE nice. Certainly looks nicer than Bitwarden, that's for sure. I'm sure a new user would be thrilled with either one.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I'm a bitwarden user, but I jumped on the ProtonPass for $1/month for life deal. While i still use Bitwarden Premium (separate shared vault with my wife is invaluable for shared log-ins, like paying bills), what I've seen from ProtonPass is QUITE nice. Certainly looks nicer than Bitwarden, that's for sure. I'm sure a new user would be thrilled with either one.
I jumped on that deal as well, I do like Proton a bit better than Bitwarden.

BigWrench

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
I jumped on that deal as well, I do like Proton a bit better than Bitwarden.
Did everything go straightforward?
Were you able to email for the voucher, as stated, and get an email confirming your purchase?
Just, as the post states, looking to see if legit.
Thanks. Keep us posted ✌️

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Did everything go straightforward?
Were you able to email for the voucher, as stated, and get an email confirming your purchase?
Just, as the post states, looking to see if legit.
Thanks. Keep us posted ✌️
I got it several months ago, I thought it was a dead deal now but I could be wrong.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.