Make your video test requests!

XylentAntivirus

Level 1
May 9, 2024
1715684018783.png
Another Turkish Antivirus.15/138 detection rate aganist zeroday with few false positives.

Reactions: Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Can you test bank protection on these antiviruses? Kaspersky, f-secure, Norton and Bitdefender? Don't you think that this is essential security in all antivirus programs?

I've planned an off-series scenario with bank protection but I'm pondering how I'm going to proceed 😉

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
I've planned an off-series scenario with bank protection but I'm pondering how I'm going to proceed 😉
I found this statement.

While it's true that antivirus programs are designed to detect and prevent malware, it's also important to recognize that new threats emerge constantly, and antivirus software may not always be able to keep up with the latest developments. Testing bank protection helps identify potential weaknesses in these programs and ensures that they are equipped to handle emerging threats.

Additionally, while banks do have their own security measures in place, it's crucial to recognize that antivirus software is an essential layer of protection against malware and other threats. Testing bank protection helps ensure that these programs are effective in preventing unauthorized access to sensitive financial information.

Persuasive conclusion:

In conclusion, testing bank protection in antivirus programs is crucial for ensuring the security and integrity of our financial information. By conducting thorough testing, we can identify potential vulnerabilities and ensure that our antivirus software is equipped to handle emerging threats. This is especially important given the increasing reliance on online banking and financial transactions. While some may argue that testing bank protection is unnecessary, I believe that it's a critical component of maintaining robust security measures in today's digital age.

Evidence:

• A study by the Ponemon Institute found that 53% of cyber attacks on financial institutions are caused by malware (Source: "The 2019 Global State of Cybersecurity in Financial Services" by Ponemon Institute).
  • A report by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) found that in 2018, 37% of reported data breaches involved malware (Source: "Data Breach Response" by FTC).
  • A review of antivirus software by PCMag found that some popular antivirus programs failed to detect known malware threats (Source: "Antivirus Software Review" by PCMag).
By considering these points and evidence, we can see that testing bank protection in antivirus programs is a vital component of maintaining robust security measures in today's digital age.

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
Maybe like this?

Testing Bank Protection in Multiple Antivirus Programs​

When it comes to testing bank protection in multiple antivirus programs, it's important to consider the effectiveness of these programs in safeguarding against financial threats. Here's a breakdown of how you can approach this:
  1. Research Antivirus Programs: Begin by researching and identifying antivirus programs that are known for their strong bank protection features. Look for programs that specifically highlight their capabilities in protecting financial transactions and sensitive banking information.
  2. Review Independent Tests: Independent test labs, such as AV-Test and AV-Comparatives, regularly evaluate antivirus programs for their effectiveness in various areas, including bank protection. These tests assess the ability of antivirus programs to detect and prevent financial threats, such as banking trojans, phishing attempts, and other forms of financial malware.
  3. Consider User Reviews and Ratings: In addition to independent tests, consider user reviews and ratings of antivirus programs. Look for feedback from users who specifically mention the effectiveness of the programs in protecting their online banking activities.
  4. Test in a Controlled Environment: If possible, set up a controlled testing environment to evaluate the bank protection features of multiple antivirus programs. This may involve simulating common banking activities while monitoring how each program responds to potential threats.
  5. Evaluate Additional Security Features: Beyond bank protection, consider the overall security features offered by each antivirus program. Look for features such as real-time monitoring of financial transactions, secure browsing tools, and anti-phishing capabilities.
  6. Consider Performance Impact: Assess the performance impact of each antivirus program on the system during banking activities. Programs that offer strong bank protection without significantly slowing down the user's banking experience may be preferable.
  7. Stay Informed About Latest Threats: Keep abreast of the latest financial threats and malware targeting online banking. Antivirus programs that demonstrate agility in adapting to new threats and providing timely updates may offer better bank protection.
Remember, the effectiveness of bank protection in antivirus programs can vary, so it's important to consider multiple factors when testing and evaluating these programs. For specific details on the performance of antivirus programs in bank protection, it's advisable to refer to independent test reports and user reviews for comprehensive insights into their capabilities,

F

ForgottenSeer 109138

Here below are methods that could be used to simulate for testing banking protections. Please do read the disclaimer.

Testing an internet security suite's banking protection features involves simulating real-world attack scenarios in a safe environment. Here's how you can approach it, prioritizing safety:

Important Disclaimer:
  • Never attempt these tests on your actual bank website. Banks have strong security measures and might misinterpret your actions as an intrusion attempt.
Test 1: Simulated Phishing Site

1. Set up a safe environment: Use a virtual machine or a separate browser profile designated for testing.
  2. Find a simulated phishing site: Look for reputable security companies that offer downloadable phishing test files. These are designed to be safe for testing purposes.
  3. Launch the internet security suite: Make sure banking protection features are enabled.
  4. Navigate to the phishing site: The security suite should warn you about the suspicious website and potentially block access.
Test 2: Keylogging and Man-in-the-Middle Attack Simulation

1. Install a keylogger simulator: There are harmless keylogger programs designed for testing purposes. Choose one with a good reputation.
  2. Launch the internet security suite: Ensure banking protection features are active.
  3. Open a secure website (not your bank's) and enter test data: The keylogger simulator might record your keystrokes, but the security suite should ideally detect and block it.
Test 3: Secure Browser Functionality (if applicable)

• Some internet security suites offer special secure browsers for banking activities.
  1. Launch the secure browser: If your suite offers one, test it by logging in to a dummy account on a non-bank website.
  2. Verify restricted functionality: The secure browser might limit add-ons or functionalities to prevent vulnerabilities.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
This would be a difficult test to perform. A User can be impacted by a Bank breach in either of 2 ways:

1). External (Due to the User)- a). a Phishing email. Protection against this would be a Dumb Detection of malicious web links by the User’s anti-malware application. You already test for this more broadly, and singling out those that only apply to Banking sites would be both time-consuming as well as redundant.
b). Data Stealers- Malware certainly can be on the Users’ System that would harvest Login data and would result in a breach. These things are covered more generally in your testing already.

2). Internal (due to the Bank site itself). a). A malware breach of a specific Bank could be due to a number of factors including the quality of THEIR anti-malware defenses as well as the competence of the Folk monitoring it.
b). A hack of the legitimate Bank website itself (like a cross-site scripting attack or exploiting a XSS vulnerability).
c). 15-20% of breaches are initiated by someone working within the organization itself.

So, for a Banking test you already cover the External threats, and the Internal threats are not possible to test due to their type and diversity.

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hi @Shadowra , Could you test Huntress MDR ? It has a free trial available.

I've just seen it, I'll have to study it first.

For the other requests, I know that the deadlines are long but I'm quite busy at the moment and I'm starting to prepare my vacations (and I'm taking care of myself too), but I'm doing my best to get them out :D

Victor M

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
@Shadowra , if you add to your testing of huntress some kind of network attack that would be great. Gemini suggested Nesus vulnerability scanner, which has a free version.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.