Not open for further replies.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
When it comes to matters of justice, we’d all like to think that we can trust a lawyer, but an interesting case in Arkansas suggests that may not be such a wise idea:

When Matthew Campbell of the Pinnacle Law Firm in North Little Rock – currently representing three police whistleblowers – received an external hard drive via Federal Express from a law enforcement attorney, he claims he found an unusual surprise on the device – malware.

“Something didn’t add up in the way they approached it, so I sent it to my software guy first,” Campbell said to the Northwest Arkansas Democrat Gazette. “I thought ‘I’m not plugging that into my computer,’ so I sent it to [a software expert] to inspect.”

When consultant Geoff Mueller, manager of information security at the Lower Colorado River Authority, looked at the hard drive he discovered four Trojans, one of which was a duplicate:

• Win32:Zbot-AVH[Trj] – designed to steal Campbell’s passwords and install a backdoor
  • NSIS:Downloader-CC[Trj] – A downloader capable of introducing additional malware to the system
  • Two instances of Win32Cycbot-NF[Trj] – Another backdoor designed to give an attacker a access to the system
Read more here
When it comes to matters of justice, we’d all like to think that we can trust a lawyer, but an interesting case in Arkansas suggests that may not be such a wise idea:

When Matthew Campbell of the Pinnacle Law Firm in North Little Rock – currently representing three police whistleblowers – received an external hard drive via Federal Express from a law enforcement attorney, he claims he found an unusual surprise on the device – malware.

“Something didn’t add up in the way they approached it, so I sent it to my software guy first,” Campbell said to the Northwest Arkansas Democrat Gazette. “I thought ‘I’m not plugging that into my computer,’ so I sent it to [a software expert] to inspect.”

When consultant Geoff Mueller, manager of information security at the Lower Colorado River Authority, looked at the hard drive he discovered four Trojans, one of which was a duplicate:

• Win32:Zbot-AVH[Trj] – designed to steal Campbell’s passwords and install a backdoor
  • NSIS:Downloader-CC[Trj] – A downloader capable of introducing additional malware to the system
  • Two instances of Win32Cycbot-NF[Trj] – Another backdoor designed to give an attacker a access to the system

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Interesting to see if any of the authorities would admit that they planted the malware, or maybe it was just a coincidence ;)

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.