App Review Malwarebytes test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I don't use smartscreen, sorry for that.I've configured kaspersky to detect adware or that sorta thing as threats. But to be honest kaspersky ain't upto the mark in this case. But they have improved throughout the time. I'm currently using malwarebytes extension, but it's extra load for me as I already have MB premium. It's like u've swords but u are relying upon pocket knife. & i won't touch norton again. Norton was my first preference of av & it jst had messed everything for me.
I'm thinking of giving a try to zemana. Is memory leak issue has been fixed?
just remove MB from your computer and use malwarebytes extension instead. It's much lighter and has no compatibility issue because it's just an extension. Same for norton safe web. They don't invade your computer. They just filter the web
norton safe web is bugfree unlike the bug galore norton security for computer

memory leak will probably never be fixed because zemana thinks it's normal

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
just remove MB from your computer and use malwarebytes extension instead. It's much lighter and has no compatibility issue because it's just an extension. Same for norton safe web. They don't invade your computer. They just filter the web
norton safe web is bugfree

In case of norton, it's a vow which I won't break. It may sound dramatic but I still won't break.

MB extension is ok for web protection but then I've to sacrifice malware protection,exploit protection & ransomware protection. That's quite a bit disproportionate response, I reckon.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
In case of norton, it's a vow which I won't break. It may sound dramatic but I still won't break.

MB extension is ok for web protection but then I've to sacrifice malware protection,exploit protection & ransomware protection. That's quite a bit disproportionate response, I reckon.
for your info, Kaspersky already has all above features and they are even better than MB's
tests have shown that
MB's ransomware protection is weak
malware protection is nowhere comparable to KIS's
exploit protection in KIS is proven to block nonpetya's exploit while MB's exploit protection can never block it by designed, confirmed by the developers

adding MB to KIS is mostly redundant. The only thing MB is better than KIS is the PUP/adware protection

KIs's web protection is not weaker than MB. It's even better or same same
you can have both by installing KIS and MB extension while you can have 1 when you install KIS and MB for PC

Last edited:

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
for your info, Kaspersky already has all above features and they are even better than MB's
tests have shown that
MB's ransomware protection is weak
malware protection is nowhere comparable to KIS's
exploit protection in KIS is proven to block nonpetya's exploit while MB's exploit protection can never block it by designed, confirmed by the developers

adding MB to KIS is mostly redundant. The only thing MB is better than KIS is the PUP/adware protection

KIs's web protection is not weaker than MB. It's even better so same same
you can have both by installing KIS and MB extension while you can have 1 when you install KIS and MB for PC

Thanks for encouraging me to uninstall MB from my PC. Optimism is holding me back. MT is a vibrant forum, I'm hoping that someone may fix it or provide some workaround.
Otherwise I've to do what you've said. Btw, u r quite a bit radical, mate. We need political leader like you.If something ain't working, then get rid of it. Replace it with better.
But one problem I do have , I have lifetime license of MB. That's why I'm clinging .to twig.

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
Sorry to disturb you people. As many of you suggested me ZAM. I tried to download it but MB extension flag it as dangerous. Is it false positive or there is really something to worry about.

ZAM link

zam.png

Reactions: harlan4096

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Sorry to disturb you people. As many of you suggested me ZAM. I tried to download it but MB extension flag it as dangerous. Is it false positive or there is really something to worry about.

ZAM link

View attachment 188356
that URL seems sketchy, where are you looking for it ?:D
Zemana Anti-Malware | Advanced Malware Removal Software

i would leave MB installed with every realtime protection off, just for having it as an ondemand scan you run every month.

ps: oh i see why you have that
dsIZpz.png

my umatrix is blocking that by default :D

Reactions: harlan4096

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
@mekelek it seems you have ZAM as 2nd opinion scanner. Does it install any background service or anything as such? Especially as startup service which will load during boot up. or any extended(delayed) start up or scheduler or anything as such?
thanks

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
@mekelek it seems you have ZAM as 2nd opinion scanner. Does it install any background service or anything as such? Especially as startup service which will load during boot up. or any extended(delayed) start up or scheduler or anything as such?
thanks
you can get the portable version, and you can disable the realtime protection. it has one service called ZAM that you can set to manual start and it wont bother you.

Clean your computer in minutes with Zemana AntiMalware, no matter how badly infected!

link for that in case you can't figure it out, it's just the default download url except the Portable part set to True.

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
you can get the portable version, and you can disable the realtime protection. it has one service called ZAM that you can set to manual start and it wont bother you.

will I get d option(portable) during installation? or I've to download it from somewhere.

Reactions: mekelek

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
Reactions: frogboy and mekelek

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
"Malwarebytes" at here it has very bad optimization, the tray icon at the moment of doing click on it, launch its menu gui extremely very slow, was since appeared despised "version 3" , it has been a nightmare. The Zemana protection & scanner are very effective finding crickets, but as many are saying that Zemana has a memory leak problem, Many people had prefered not to install it., although "Zemana" can also be used in portabilized mode, if you decide to change to manual-disable its services and drivers via "process hacker" on demmand start. "(ZAM Helper Driver / ZAM Controller Service / ZAM Guard Driver)"

Reactions: frogboy and mekelek

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
"Malwarebytes" at here it has very bad optimization, the tray icon at the moment of doing click on it, launch its menu gui extremely very slow, was since appeared despised "version 3" , it has been a nightmare. The Zemana protection & scanner are very effective finding crickets, but as many are saying that Zemana has a memory leak problem, Many people had prefered not to install it., although "Zemana" can also be used in portabilized mode, if you decide to change to manual-disable its services and drivers via "process hacker" on demmand start. "(ZAM Helper Driver / ZAM Controller Service / ZAM Guard Driver)"

Is ZAM prone to false positive? I'm asking this because I'm scanning with this & it has detected Cokkie autodelete as PUA.

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
ZAM seems quite a bit decent. I haven't noticed much difference except ZAM service & ZAMShellExt64.dll. The dll is probably because of context menu entry. Can anyone confirm it? If it is for context menu entry then I will disable it.

Reactions: mekelek

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Is ZAM prone to false positive? I'm asking this because I'm scanning with this & it has detected Cokkie autodelete as PUA.

it is very possible, zemana in my computer also detected some false positives, but I try to resort to the logic, I go to the google search engine and read the data and route of directory of what zemana has found, investigate thoroughly, common sense.

Reactions: yitworths

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.