Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Source: MeetUpBlog.com
Here’s what happened. On Thursday morning, I received this email:
Date: Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Subject: DDoS attack, warning

A competitor asked me to perform a DDoS attack on your website. I can stop the attack for $300 USD. Let me know if you are interested in my offer.
Simultaneously, the attack began, our servers were overwhelmed with traffic, and our services went down.

The natural question I know many of you will ask is why didn't we pay, especially since the amount of money demanded was ridiculously small ($300 USD).

We chose not to pay because:

1. We made a decision not to negotiate with criminals.
  2. The extortion dollar amount suggests this to be the work of amateurs, but the attack is sophisticated. We believe this lowball amount is a trick to see if we are the kind of target who would pay. We believe if we pay, the criminals would simply demand much more.
  3. Payment could make us (and all well-meaning organizations like us) a target for further extortion demands as word spreads in the criminal world.
  4. We are confident we can protect Meetup from this aggressive attack, even if it will take time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.