Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
“Microsoft recommends Microsoft Edge for Windows 10”
Microsoft Edge is the software giant’s big bet in the browser war in Windows 10 and the company hopes it has a better chance to succeed in the fight against Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox thanks to this new app, so it’s no wonder that it tries all kinds of tactics to achieve its goal.

For example, VentureBeat has discovered that Bing is directing users searching for alternative browsers in Windows 10 to Microsoft Edge, in an attempt that appears to be aimed at keeping adopters of the new operating system on board.

Basically, searching for “Chrome” or “Firefox” on Bing triggers a notification saying that “Microsoft recommends Microsoft Edge for Windows 10,” and clicking this message gets users to a page hosted by the company which presents the main features of the browser.

Edge, Chrome, or Firefox?
Right now, it’s not yet clear if the same message appears on international versions of Bing, as the aforementioned notification was only displayed on the US-based flavor of the search engine. The Edge recommendation is shown only when searching the first time for an alternative browser.

Edge was designed from the very beginning to compete with Chrome and Firefox, so one of its key features is support for extensions developed for Google’s browser.

This tool isn’t ready yet and Microsoft plans to introduce it in the coming weeks, with pundits revealing that the big Windows 10 update scheduled for late October or early November could finally bring it in the new browser.

Microsoft is aiming to make extensions work in Edge with no modification, but some code optimizations or minor changes might be needed. The same feature is also projected to arrive on devices powered by Windows 10 Mobile, as Edge is designed as a universal app that can work on all Windows 10 devices, including PCs, tablets, and smartphones.

I get the same thing when I enter both Firefox & Chrome

Ashampoo_Snap_2015.09.04_19h28m16s_002_.pngAshampoo_Snap_2015.09.04_19h27m43s_001_.png

Reactions: Dima007 and frogboy

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
I am not getting those type of messages when I search for it on Bing. I use Edge as my primary browser anyways.

D72aQxW.png

Most people won't see it anyways since I'm sure pretty much almost everyone uses Google.

Reactions: frogboy

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
@Malware Man
Well the article those state that
"The Edge recommendation is shown only when searching the first time for an alternative browser."
So maybe that's why it doesn't show when you search for a browser.

Btw, does it have to be "firefox" or "chrome"? Other browsers don't trigger it?

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
@Azure Phoenix

Well that was my first search ever on Bing. I only use Google.
I have no idea since I only ever used the main browsers (Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari, and Opera)
Well I have never searched for another browser since I love Edge and it's working wonderfully for me. Will be even better once the extension support comes along soon.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
So maybe that's why it doesn't show when you search for a browser.

Another factor to consider is, if you use Bing as your default search engine in Edge. When I downloaded Chrome (and Firefox) from Edge, my default search engine was DuckDuckGo, therefore I got no message as such.

Recipe: Microsoft Edge + Bing + First time search of alternate browser = That message.

Until Microsoft increases Edge's capabiities, I don't see Edge as a productive browser. As @MrXidus has explained in one of his posts.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Malware Man : Upon you upgraded to Windows 10, Microsoft Edge is automatically set to default primary browser which why you don't see any of the message on Bing Page.

Anyway that already a simple advertisement tactics to increase the possible market shares, so no big deal as Google Chrome recommendation notification appears to their website of Google.com based on user agent string.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
@jamescv7

I didn't upgrade. My Windows install is from my school. Since they offer it for free with Office 365 and you need it to access their domain network.

If I upgraded I'd be on Windows 10 Home. But I am on Windows 10 Education! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.