Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Microsoft Edge is Redmond's big bet for the browser world in Windows 10, and the company is working hard to make it a better rival to Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, but consumers expect even more features to be added before RTM.

One of the options that Windows 10 users are asking for is an ad blocker that would contribute to a cleaner web and a more streamlined browsing experience, and posts in the Windows Feedback app in preview builds of the new operating ask Microsoft to add it as soon as possible.

“We need an ad blocker for Spartan or I'll be using Firefox,” a Microsoft Edge suggestion posted two weeks ago and already having more than 1,100 upvotes reads.

Obviously, adding an ad blocker in Microsoft Edge might not be Redmond's cup of tea, so the company is very likely to ignore this request, which would clearly disappoint users who expected such a feature in the browser.

And yet, getting an ad blocker in Microsoft Edge is still possible thanks to the extension support that's projected to debut in the browser later this year.

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/micr...-ad-blocker-windows-10-users-say-486127.shtml

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
"Reading mode" is better than an ad-blocker with regard to visuals; it only displays the main content. (may not work for everything)

I wouldn't consider using any browser that didn't have extension capability.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
well i agree too that is one of the main reasons i keep using firefox over edge due to its lack of ad blockers... IE has privacy list feature which offer a decent ad blocker... but something like ABP or UB is a must for this browser (if they want to success)

Reactions: frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
There Tracking Protection feature of Edge/IE can be revamp with a combination of adblocker since subscription filters are very easy to implement.

But yet if they will not do it then extensions are too way available on the corner. ;)

The main confusion for them is advertising, since when they implement adblocker then its a huge nightmare for other websites to generate money. ;)

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
Firefox forever! Been using Firefox since they rolled it out to public. :D

And no I have never faced any issues with Firefox because I know how to configure it properly and I use only few necessary addons. :rolleyes:

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Not only that but Microsoft is getting into the advertising business. Some of the native modern apps had advertising in them (like the nifty weather app) but they've been removed. The feedback was dominated by "remove ads", including mine stating, "ads on my OS...just the push I need to switch to linux"

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
Extension support
Microsoft has already confirmed that it will add extension support in Edge browser later this year, and all Google Chrome extensions are expected to work in the application with little tweaks from their developers.

As a result, ad blockers could also be ported to work in Microsoft Edge, so even if Microsoft isn't adding such a feature in its browsers, users could get one thanks to extension support.

Microsoft Edge will be the default browser in Windows 10, but Internet Explorer will continue to be offered for compatibility reasons, as the new Edge engine might not be fully compatible with some websites. Edge, however, will be the main option pushed to users on PCs, tablets, and smartphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.