Level 78
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 118.0.2088.76: October 27, 2023
Fixed various bugs and performance issues.

Stable channel security updates are listed here.
Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 118.0.2088.76) which incorporates the latest Security Updates of the Chromium project. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.

This update contains the following Microsoft Edge-specific update:
What is the version information for this release?

Microsoft Edge VersionDate ReleasedBased on Chromium Version
118.0.2088.7610/27/2023118.0.5993.117/.118

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Version 119.0.2151.44: November 2, 2023
Fixed various bugs and performance issues.

Feature updates​

• Compression Dictionary Transport support. A version of the Compression Dictionary Transport feature is available for sites to use by participating in the associated origin trial. If your network uses a middlebox that inspects network traffic and/or you previously encountered issues with the ZSDCH feature, review the Considerations for zstd-based Shared Dictionary Compression for HTTP page which contains updated guidance.
  • Behavioral changes to the beforeunload event. The behavior of the beforeunload event has changed such that calling preventDefault in a beforeunload event handler triggers a confirmation dialog. Setting returnValue to an empty string in a beforeunload event handler no longer triggers a confirmation dialog. This behavior takes effect starting in Microsoft Edge version 119. Administrators can temporarily opt out of this functionality by disabling the BeforeunloadEventCancelByPreventDefaultEnabled policy.
  • Split screen restore improvements. Split screen allows you to simultaneously work on multiple tasks across two, side-by-side screens in one browsing tab to boost your productivity and multitask more efficiently. Now after the browser is restarted and the previous session is restored, the split tab will also be restored.
  • Additional capability to manage sidebar apps. Administrators can utilize the "sidebar_auto_open_blocked" ExtensionSettings policy field to control the auto-open behavior of sidebar apps. For more information, see Detailed guide to the ExtensionSettings policy.
  • Updates to Microsoft Edge enterprise sync settings page. When the ForceSyncTypes and SyncTypesListDisabled polices are used concurrently, the sync settings page (edge://settings/profiles/sync) accurately show the status for each data type.

Policy updates​

New policies​

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 78
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
New (privacy) issue?

In edge://settings/siteData I see all sites I have recently visited:

View attachment 279102

When removing them they are coming back.
Not something I want 😢
Anybody else seeing the same behavior ?
This is solved with the latest version 119.0.2151.44 (y)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 78
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 119.0.2151.44: November 2, 2023

Release notes for Microsoft Edge Security Updates now posted:
Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 119.0.2151.44) which incorporates the latest Security Updates of the Chromium project. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.

This update contains the following Microsoft Edge-specific updates:
What is the version information for this release?

Microsoft Edge VersionDate ReleasedBased on Chromium Version
119.0.2151.4411/02/2023119.0.6045.105/.106

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Edge 119 no longer allows enabling or disabling the sidebar if Copilot is off
Microsoft released Edge 119 in the Stable Channel on November 3, 2023, bringing users several new features, such as Split Screen and sidebar app improvements. However, it also changes the Sidebar setting section: Microsoft quietly moved the toggle for turning the sidebar on or off, causing customers to think you can no longer disable it.

Before Microsoft Edge 119, you could turn the sidebar on or off using the "Always Show Sidebar" option on the edge://settings/sidebar page. In Edge 119, the toggle is now situated in the Copilot settings section. Moreover, turning it on or off requires enabling the Show Copilot option. Although you can keep the sidebar and toggle off the Copilot icon, doing so will remove the "Auto-hide Sidebar" option, and the browser will prevent you from turning off the sidebar in settings. The toggle description makes it clear:
Always show sidebar
This setting is not available when Copilot in Edge is off

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 78
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft hides sidebar controls in Copilot Settings in Edge
Our colleagues over at Neowin discovered this recently. Basically, what you need to do is configure always show sidebar before you disable show copilot. Doing so removes the Copilot icon from the sidebar, but keeps the sidebar visible all the time. You can also toggle both to off if you prefer it that way.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Version 119.0.2151.58: November 9, 2023​

• Fixed various bugs and performance issues.

Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 119.0.2151.58) and Extended Stable Channel (Version 118.0.2088.102) which incorporate the latest Security Updates of the Chromium project. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 78
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 119.0.2151.72: November 16, 2023
  • Fixed various bugs and performance issues.
Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 119.0.2151.72) and Extended Stable Channel (Version 118.0.2088.109) which incorporate the latest Security Updates of the Chromium project. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I was just testing some web extensions and Edge's tracking protection. I noticed Edge blocks ads on my webmail site unlike in the past. Maybe the Disconnect lists have really improved ... because it's big business for them licensing their lists. Anticipating the rollout of MV3? 🤔 I can't say.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I was just testing some web extensions and Edge's tracking protection. I noticed Edge blocks ads on my webmail site unlike in the past. Maybe the Disconnect lists have really improved ... because it's big business for them licensing their lists. Anticipating the rollout of MV3? 🤔 I can't say.
I stopped using browser's built-in ad/tracker blocker after seeing multiple times where uBO & AdGuard filter maintainers really got angry/frustrated when they fail to reproduce issues only to realize some breakage was caused by the internal Edge/Firefox's tracking protection not by their filters which the user didn't mention in their report.
Though Edge on balanced settings probably doesn't cause any issues.

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Dear Lord, please give me strength to stay faithful to Edge. This new option can not be disabled, yet.

capture_12072023_213600.jpg

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
Dear Lord, please give me strength to stay faithful to Edge. This new option can not be disabled, yet.

View attachment 280132
The new option is available and I can disabled it. To be sure, I disable it with GPO's ;).

1701985421627.png

You can download the policy files from Download Edge for Business. Copy the admx files to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions and the adml files to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\en-US (or the langague you prefer).

Attachments

• 1701985391943.png
    1701985391943.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 38

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.