New Update Microsoft Office 2024 Preview - Part of M365 and non-subscription options

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Source: Microsoft Office 2024 confirmed: won't require a subscription - gHacks Tech News

Microsoft Office 2024 exists, does not require a subscription and it will be released in the second half of 2024 according to our sources.

Microsoft Office is provided in two different versions and several editions currently. There is the subscription-based Microsoft 365 version and the non-subscription version Microsoft Office 2021. While both are based on the same core Office version, things are not equal in many regards.

The most obvious difference is that the cloud-based version requires a subscription and an endless stream of money that wanders from the pockets of users and companies into Microsoft's wallets. The standalone Office 2021 does not require a subscription. It is more expensive, at least when you buy it directly from Microsoft, but it is a one-time payment kind of deal.

There is another difference. Microsoft does not push new features and updates to the standalone Office version. It is supported with security updates and bug fixes, but most of the new features land only in the cloud-based version. Also, certain connectivity features, mostly to Microsoft 365, may or may not work after the Office version leaves mainstream support.

Now, first screenshots of Microsoft Office 2024 have appeared online.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
IMHO Word, PowerPoint and Excel should be part of Windows and free. These are basics of the basics. I mean, Microsoft already does offer free online versions of same, so I don't see why they couldn't transform these as apps and ship them with Windows.
That functionally is provided by the M365 (Office) App for Desktop and Mobile users.

It's a lot easier to maintain a cross-platform Web app than shipping Windows 11+ with bloatware (unwanted Ad-supported) desktop application.

Reactions: simmerskool

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
A commercial preview of Office LTSC 2024 will be available from next month, with a full launch scheduled for later in the year. The Office Long-Term Servicing Channel is supported for five years, and it holds great appeal for the many businesses that are not keen on the idea of software subscriptions. There will also be a consumer-focused version of the suite, Office 2024, available via a traditional "one-time purchase" model.

Microsoft does not exactly promote Office LTSC 2024 when it says that it "will include only a subset of the value found in Microsoft 365 Apps". The company would, of course, prefer to tie users into a subscription model, but is willing to admit that this is not always appropriate. Announcing the impending launch of the software, Microsoft says:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
IMHO Word, PowerPoint and Excel should be part of Windows and free. These are basics of the basics. I mean, Microsoft already does offer free online versions of same, so I don't see why they couldn't transform these as apps and ship them with Windows.
I do not disagree with you; however, ... thinking back ~30 years ago, Microsoft got into trouble offering Internet Explorer with Windows and was sued by other browser vendors IIRC...? (or something like that) :unsure:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Office 2024 will receive support and security updates for five years from its release date, which will be "later this year," along with a new LTSC release of Windows 11. The company has also committed to releasing at least one more standalone version of Office in the future. If you bought Office 2021 and you're still happy with it, you'll still get support (including security updates) until October of 2026. Support for Office 2019 ended in October 2023.

Highlights of the Office 2024 release include "new meeting creation options and search enhancements in Outlook, dozens of new Excel features and functions including Dynamic Charts and Arrays; and improved performance, security, and accessibility," according to Microsoft. One missing feature of note will be Microsoft Publisher, which will be discontinued in October 2026.

Like other standalone Office releases, Office 2024’s feature set will be frozen in time without the continuous changes present in the Microsoft 365 versions of the same apps. And while the perpetually licensed versions of Office can interact with Microsoft services like OneDrive, the company says that other features like the Copilot AI assistant won’t be available in Office 2024 because it is a “disconnected product." It's also missing real-time collaboration features available in Microsoft 365.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I do not disagree with you; however, ... thinking back ~30 years ago, Microsoft got into trouble offering Internet Explorer with Windows and was sued by other browser vendors IIRC...? (or something like that) :unsure:
Microsoft shipped Edge with Windows for years now, without giving users ability to uninstall it. You still can't get rid of Edge and Bing if you reside outside of EU and we're yet to see them in court for this. Times have changed; Microsoft had monopoly back then what they had legal issues.

I really don't think including Word, PowerPoint and Excel into Windows would get them in any trouble. Microsoft Office is already the norm in businesses, education and everywhere else.

7Oz-64

Level 1
Jan 16, 2023
Microsoft shipped Edge with Windows for years now, without giving users ability to uninstall it. You still can't get rid of Edge and Bing if you reside outside of EU and we're yet to see them in court for this. Times have changed; Microsoft had monopoly back then what they had legal issues.

I really don't think including Word, PowerPoint and Excel into Windows would get them in any trouble. Microsoft Office is already the norm in businesses, education and everywhere else.
Am in the EU, so no problem to remove Edge and no more back installed after Patch Thuesday!
What about changing region of Windows ?, uninstall Edge and revert back to original location.
Is this really working ?

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I am in the EU country as well and I can by default just uninstall it. Users outside the EU have to change the region to be able to uninstall the Edge. There is also a chance Microsoft will close this loophole in the near future as well.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021

That's the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while? Why should Microsoft, or anyone else for that matter, be forced to give away something for free? It's popular. Ok, great. How does that entitle everyone to get it for free? It's the standard. Ok, great. How does that entitle everyone to get it for free? It doesn't. Just because people want things for free doesn't mean they should be freely given. Everyone deserves to be paid for their work. If you don't like the price, or product, don't use it. And don't expect to use it either.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.