Microsoft Security Essentials is a useless AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Fact: Yesterday I cleanned a PC of a friend of mine who had been using MSE on Windows 7. He is an average but somewhat cautious user. I did scans with several tools, and the only thing they found was adware. MSE quarantine had 4-5 more serious malware in it's quarantine.
If you are a bit cautious, MSE can protect you from the nasty malware but not from adware which is a grey zone for all av vendors anyway.

Reactions: nissimezra

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Nikos751 Maybe recommend Unchecky.com to your friend. I installed CutePDF which comes bundled with Comodo Dragon with Ask and another toolbar software, all the boxes were unchecked by Unchecky and no PUA were installed. (Windows 8.1, Standard User with Panda Free)

randj89

Level 4
Verified
May 7, 2014
@Nikos751 Maybe recommend Unchecky.com to your friend. I installed CutePDF which comes bundled with Comodo Dragon with Ask and another toolbar software, all the boxes were unchecked by Unchecky and no PUA were installed. (Windows 8.1, Standard User with Panda Free)
Wow this unchecky sounds good for us, the people that like to install everything hitting next, next and next without even reading sometimes just to "save" time.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014

I thought Unchecky was still in beta phase. It'll need to add a lot more products in it's domain.

titan1

Level 1
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
Umm,your son installs games(pirated or genuine? If pirated then *sigh*).he visits dubious sites( again *sigh*).well does he ignore UAC prompts?(if so then again *sigh).well if goes on doing everything that he should not do,then what MSE alone can do?no software is going to protect such user.First,teach him how to properly use internet.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Uneducated reckless users with any AV security setups equals infections.
It doesn't make a difference which products they choose to use.

Their is no proof that any security product will be able to protect every individual user better than what another product can.

Thanks. :D

Noooo, the proof is when you have MSE for a year, scans come up clean. Then install another and a scan finds several threats MSE missed. The protection is better then nothing, but would you choose MSE, if there's better odds with another AV?

I would not recommend this, as every other well known and free AV has better malware detection rates.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I have Win 7 with Win7 firewall with TinyWall and using Emsisoft anti-maleware Pro and MalwareBytes Pro, MSE, Internet Explorer 11, that's it.
I use MSE since it's much more stable than other 'TOP' rated anti-virus's and it's integrated with Win 7 firewall and Explorer 11. I tried Norton, Avast, Avira, AVG, Comodo..etc . MSE isn't that bad, it does keep the 'Bad stuff' away. Plus, you DON'T need a different firewall !
Quiet and simple and it works :)

;)

I used to feel the exact same way, I thought MSE was stable and great,

but I recently uninstalled MSE, switched to Bitdefender free... now my slowdowns are no longer there, my hard drive is quiet, my updates are quicker and more often and everything runs smoother. It doesn't effect my RAM and resourses nearly as much, (MSE updates EAT up to 260KS RAM) my windows processes are now cut down by 4!

This 8 yr old PC feels like a new computer, I didn't know MSE bogged me down, til I removed it. :confused:

I REGRET NOT REMOVING IT EARLIER, :oops:

A FEW YEARS AGO IT WAS SOLID, BUT IT DOESN'T FIND ANYTHING ANYMORE. :p

Emsisoft and Malwarebytes rule! Those are keepers for sure. :) These find threats that MSE doesn't even warn about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.