Microsoft Security Essentials last in banking trojan detection test

Status
Not open for further replies.

midzan21

Level 1
Verified
Mar 8, 2015
Actually I'm not suprised that MSE/WD have that low score. On my last PC which I got to cleanup (reguallary cleanup from old Windows 7 SP1 installation back in 2010 on cousins PC) I found only 2 trojans which MSE skipped (MBAM found it).
Otherwise this AV is fine for somebody who use more brain.exe than AV and other protections when surf online.

Reactions: Tony Cole

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
And how does one get infected with this malware? Usually by a careless, click-happy user opening email attachments, clicking on dodgy links on Facebook, Twitter, etc - you get the picture.

Reactions: Ink and Tony Cole

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
FreddyFreeloader very, very true. People just click anything and them boom, the pdf file they thought was from their bank (I received a fake HSBC email today) and their infected. Teach people the basics of IT/malware and what NOT to do. When I started as a junior doctor, the first course I went on was an IT course, 1st to learn about the hospitals systems, then how to deal with rogue files etc., even the NHS get's fake emails, with please click this!

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Tough one, interesting AV statistics.

MSE is OK but not great. Would actually recommend it more for the experienced PC user, who uses safer browsing habits and knows what to avoid online or how to remove an infection. If you just zoom websites at random and download a lot, MSE will protect POORLY. Then its time for other AV's or Malwarebytes to come in and save the day or the PC.

I would vote so-so, but it's not an option, can't vote yes... no seems too harsh lol, as it does block and remove some dangerous things with ease.

S

starchild76

its the least intrusive av that integrates the best into windows operating system , and that is the only real pluspoint really. I am glad that AVG did descent in the test. althought they still have to work on their product intensively.
here are some direct quotes I have from an AVG official who reveals a bit of future improvements :

"Sandboxing technologies are constantly being evaulated, whilst we don’t have them yet, we may revisit this in the future or other types of virtualization engine.
Regarding better heuristics, our proactive results in the last VB100 test (https://www.virusbtn.com/virusbulletin/archive/2014/12/vb201412-comparative) are pretty good, but I agree there is always room for improvement."

when asked for a second scan engine in AVG this whas the answer :

"Regarding a second scan engine inside AVG, our goal is to invest all available resources into improving our own engine as much as possible.
A number of AV companies are using the Bitdefender engine, but still lag behind Bitdefender themselves in all measured categories (protection, performance, usability).
A second scan scan engine doesn’t necessarily mean better results during independent tests."

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.