App Review Microsoft Security Essentials Prerelase 4.6 (Manzaitest)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
can u test against malwares which are 3-4 days old ? we all know microsoft is very bad at 0 day. If its able to catch common malwares then it should be just fine for above average user.

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
can u test against malwares which are 3-4 days old ? we all know microsoft is very bad at 0 day. If its able to catch common malwares then it should be just fine for above average user.
i did coz i'm using it on almost all my pc's, it is doing bad even with 1 month viruses, 3 to 4 day its nothing. its not for new boy user, may be good for people who knows what they doing

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
i did coz i'm using it on almost all my pc's, it is doing bad even with 1 month viruses, 3 to 4 day its nothing. its not for new boy user, may be good for people who knows what they doing
then I wonder how its able to get 88% in av-comparitives real-world protection test

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
While MSE is a hyped and failed antivirus that has been forced down everyones throat by adding to windows a default scanner it deserves a very very tiny bit of credit.
The reason for this is that MSE on a fully updated system with all the proper windows security in-place has proven to be simple yet effective in some cases as it biggest strength comes directly from the Windows security related modules itself.
And while i personally consider MSE as pure loss of PC resources and a totally false sense of security, i would venture to say that to those who find a word document difficult to make, in terms of PC skills it would be better then nothing.
That said MSE has always been crap and probably will be for the foreseeable future. Yet i do not understand why Microsoft is holding on to it like they struck gold.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013

Even with months old trojans, all it can do is report the detection like what I've encountered a few months back. I would not recommend MSE.

Reactions: nissimezra

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
While MSE is a hyped and failed antivirus that has been forced down everyones throat by adding to windows a default scanner it deserves a very very tiny bit of credit.
The reason for this is that MSE on a fully updated system with all the proper windows security in-place has proven to be simple yet effective in some cases as it biggest strength comes directly from the Windows security related modules itself.
And while i personally consider MSE as pure loss of PC resources and a totally false sense of security, i would venture to say that to those who find a word document difficult to make, in terms of PC skills it would be better then nothing.
That said MSE has always been crap and probably will be for the foreseeable future. Yet i do not understand why Microsoft is holding on to it like they struck gold.
it was not that bad, it might of been not good on zero day but with known viruses 2 weeks and older it detected 99%, for some resume MS decided to drop it or not to invest enough on it.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Every boot time there is a pop up alert that 3 trojans were detected. The owner of the PC already did a full scan but they still came back. I replaced the AV with Avira and immediately those 3 trojans were quaranteened upon initial scan.

vrb93

Level 5
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
Don't know why many people keep using this "AV" and recommending it too among tons of alternatives... o_O
Even on this forum where we have solid proof of its uneffectiveness... :rolleyes:

phyniks

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Nov 17, 2013
No changing on detection while they claimed MS now targets Adwares.
Lots of users,lots of malware submissions,but poor support causes the misery.

Some time I sent them a trojan
they have not added it after 7 months....that s unbelievabe.

Capture.PNG

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...359471082ad07d6d5e5305b6194a5d547dc/analysis/

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
No changing on detection while they claimed MS now targets Adwares.
Lots of users,lots of malware submissions,but poor support causes the misery.

Some time I sent them a trojan
they have not added it after 7 months....that s unbelievabe.
thats what sad, in non zero day test it misses 6% from sent samples

Reactions: phyniks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.