Mini Spy

Latest Threads

1. Welcome to MalwareTips!
    MalwareTips is a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn about PC security and computers.
    As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but you can not create new threads or reply to an existing one unless you are a registered member. By joining our free community you will have access to post threads, start private conversations with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features.
    Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join us today!

Microsoft security essentials vs Avast! antivirus

Discussion in 'War Room' started by spleentechie, Jun 28, 2012.

?

Which is better Avast! antivirus or Microsoft security essentials

1. Avast! 7 Free Antivirus

66.0%
  2. Microsoft Security Essentials

21.3%
  3. I have never used them

8.5%
  4. None of the above(please explain with a comment)

4.3%
  1. spleentechie

spleentechie New Member

One of these is the premiere free antivirus on the market and uses only two processes the other one is Microsoft's own antivirus solution with only one processes and a sleek UI this is a nice "newb AV"(My my bro still managed to download 6 droppers, the Conflicker, and the google redirect with it). LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!!!!
  2. Jack

Jack Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Easy choice here.......
    Both products have a good antivirus engine,however Avast does take the lead when it comes to additional layers of protection and ZERO day prevention capabilities. - http://www.avast.com/pr-avast-software-the-new-avast-7-free-antivirus-is-here

Avast 7 Free comes with a site advisor (WebRep),a very strong Web Guard and other additional layers of protection.
    If we pair up the File Reputation System with its huge community and add the AutoSandbox feature than we can only have one winner.
    Microsoft Security Essentials has some good signatures ,however due to the dynamic way in which malware appears and spreads it's not very efficient in stopping very new infections.

Long story short :
    Microsoft Security Essentials : Free antivirus with basic prevention layers
    Avast 7 Free : Free antivirus with 'premium' prevention layers.
  3. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Avast has to be the easy choice you so much more for free. You get a web shield and sandbox and a File Reputation. All Microsoft Security Essentials has is the basics, AV protection, and slow updates.
  4. malwarekiller

malwarekiller

I cant remember...but somewhere i read that microsoft lately fired a lot of virus analysts team members from their lab and so they are no more good with 0-day malware as they were before...
  5. Morro

Morro Regular Member

I have used both in the past and both are very well made imho, but always felt that Avast gave better protection, due to the many ways it protects your system. ( As Jack pointed out. )
  6. malbky

malbky Regular Member

Hands down AVAST. Only AVG as a free AV can give it competition feature wise. Best option is AVAST +CIS Firewall+Traffic Light. System is secure
  7. Raul90

Raul90 Active Member

It's been a while since I used AvastFree but I'd prefer them over MSE. I'd second malbky on that combo!
  8. Plexx

Plexx Guest

To be honest, Jack nailed it down. However from my personal experience, avast's sandbox can sometimes act differently than you would expect to.

If we are to view as zero day protection, you have 2 decent choices (Comodo and Avast)
    If we are to view good av on detection and removal and light, we have Forticlient Lite, Avira
    MSE falls in the group where a normal user who doesnt have much risk would be fine.

So my vote, 4th option for the reasons above mentioned.
  9. Huracan

Huracan Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I voted "None of the above", as Jack's post sums it up nicely.
  10. sahilwaste

sahilwaste Regular Member

my vote goes for avast, as Jack and McLovin already explained.