Solved Missing UEFI Setup Boot Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
After reading the Win8 Link about how to UEFI Win8 Install i now know how to perform it myself. But i cannot initiate the UEFI process because:

I still dont understand though what this slipstream version(4 x 32 & 4 x64) has to do with the <F12> Boot Selection Menu.

The Uploader(in the greek torrent site) said that this slipstreamed DVD has been made by nLite but the embedded Windows 8 versions of it remained UnTouched.

That leaves the question as to why since the versions embedded are UnTouched, the <F12> Boot Selection menu only displayes usb/cd/dvd/network as booting methods AND NO UEFI Boot antwhere in that list.

Why?

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
Maybe i am reading it wrong but why is it necessary to have a slipstreamed version? RTM supports UEFI Boot out of the box.

Sounds to me like your motherboard doesn't support it.

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
Other in other forums claim that the slipstream version iam suing its modified that's why UEFI option is missing.

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
But the guy in the greek torrent said thet he embedded 8 difff falovros of Win8 in one DVD but yet UNTOUCHED......

I know the process of making an UEFI Win8 Setup but i still need a valid Win8 DVD.

I dont want to buy i new one since my Lenovo Z580 came with "Win8 STD MLT" installed and although i wiped ALL tha partitions out and created only the 3 following of them which up until now i was accustomed to and like to use:

[System Reserve 350MB][Win8 C:][Data Partition] (it had 9 partitions before i wiped them ALL out after booting with GParted)

But that only happend When i turned "Boot Mode to Legacy", so its not an UEFI Win8 Setup.

Yet, my Firmware Interface still says in the System Info screen after hitting <F2> that i have "Win8 STD MLT".

a) Why does STD & MLT mean?
b) Shouldn't that System Info be cleared or perhaps updated now that i made a new Win8 Setup ?
c) Why the store i bough Lenovo from didnt also gave me a Win8 Retail DVD or at least a Revovery Image DVD?

Upvote 0

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
Did you format with MBR or GPT partition tables?
I know that Windows requires certain partitions other than C: in order to boot in UEFI mode. (sorry, can't find the Microsoft Support article currently)

as for your questions.
b) Windows 8 OEM activation is hardcoded into the bios, so "Win8 STD MLT" might be standard text.
c) There was probably a recovery partition originally.

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
as for (b):
Please elaborate on what's an OEM and what you mean by Windows 8 OEM activation is hardcoded into the bios.

Also:

Format my USB Key as FAT32(using Win8's embedded format)
Copy Win8 install files(from MSDN .ISO -vymdral link - so to exclude the mess that my modfified ISO might bring up) on it the normal copy/paste way using File Explorer
Re-Boot and press <F12> to check if an UEFI Setup Option is present

STILL, NO UEFI SETUP OPTION IN MY LENOVO'S BOOT SELETION.

Need an answer as to WHY this just happened.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For Part (b):
http://www.slashgear.com/windows-8-uses-bios-embedded-product-key-26258229/

The idea is that by eliminating the sticker, you eliminate one of the easier ways for nefarious users to get a legitimate product key.
If the user has to reinstall the operating system on a machine that came with Windows 8, the installation process automatically grabs the software product key from the motherboard BIOS with no input from the user.

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
Earth said:
For Part (b):
http://www.slashgear.com/windows-8-uses-bios-embedded-product-key-26258229/

The idea is that by eliminating the sticker, you eliminate one of the easier ways for nefarious users to get a legitimate product key.
If the user has to reinstall the operating system on a machine that came with Windows 8, the installation process automatically grabs the software product key from the motherboard BIOS with no input from the user.

I see,

Does the embedded Serial Number of the Mobo Bios will work for ANY Windows version i may try to install at a layter time?

Win8 Core
Win8 Pro
Win8 Pro with WMC

and for both x32 and x64 versions?

and for both Legacy and UEFI installations?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Nikos, you have posted about this issue on My Digital Life forum about your issue : http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/41521-UEFI-firmware-associated-with-Windows-8

they gave you a procedure to fix it but you didn't understand/willing to follow.

UEFI secureboot feature was made to disable the user to install another OS.

Code:
In 2011, Microsoft was accused by critics and free software/open source advocates (including the Free Software Foundation) for trying to use the secure boot functionality of UEFI to hinder or outright prevent the installation of alternative operating systems such as Linux, by requiring that new computers certified to run its Windows 8 operating system ship with secure boot enabled using a Microsoft private key. Following the criticism, Microsoft denied that the secure boot requirement was intended to serve as a form of lock-in, and clarified its requirements by stating that systems certified for Windows 8 must allow secure boot to enter custom mode or be disabled, but not on systems using the ARM architecture.[25][51]

it was done also to prevent malware to install non-signed drivers or Windows loaders without the appropriate key.

Code:
The UEFI 2.2 specification adds a protocol known as Secure boot, which can secure the boot process by preventing the loading of drivers or OS loaders that are not signed with an acceptable digital signature. When secure boot is enabled, it is initially placed in "Setup" mode, which allows a public key known as the "Platform key" (PK) to be written to the firmware. Once the key is written, secure boot enters "User" mode, where only drivers and loaders signed with the platform key can be loaded by the firmware. Additional "Key Exchange Keys" (KEK) can be added to a database stored in memory to allow other certificates to be used, but they must still have a connection to the private portion of the Platform key.[24] Secure boot can also be placed in "Custom" mode, where additional public keys can be added to the system that do not match the private key.[25]

Nikos said:
"The Uploader(in the greek torrent site) said that this slipstreamed DVD has been made by nLite but the embedded Windows 8 versions of it remained UnTouched."

untouched, means the features and core files are untouched, it doesn't mean that it is compatible with your computer; it is made for a Legacy BIOS computer not UEFI/Secureboot one.

I dont want to buy i new one since my Lenovo Z580 came with "Win8 STD MLT" installed and although i wiped ALL tha partitions out and created only the 3 following of them which up until now i was accustomed to and like to use:

[System Reserve 350MB][Win8 C:][Data Partition] (it had 9 partitions before i wiped them ALL out after booting with GParted)

But that only happend When i turned "Boot Mode to Legacy", so its not an UEFI Win8 Setup.

You had a legit Win8 UEFI-activated version but you messed up all by deleting all partitions (including the recovery one) to install another "fancy" Win8 (surely pirated) knowing that you don't have a recovery DVD.

You can't install another Win8 than the original one in UEFI , you can only on Legacy.

Since SecureBoot check the Win8 installer's platform key and compare it with the one in its firmware, your "fancy" Win8 won't boot unless UEFI/Secureboot is disabled/on Legacy.

so what you have to do to get back an Win8 UEFI/Securebooted system is that :

1.Set first /default boot device to UEFI / windows boot manager
2.UEFI is possible only in GPT disk (if you have formated as MBR DISK convert it to GPT DISK)
3.Boot from windows setup DVD or USB and install windows
4.Now you will have a UEFI bootable windows
5.Since you have deleted the recovery partition provided by lenovo you won't have the recovery option ,unless you made a recovery disk .

if it doesn't work (and it seems you don't have any original recovery disk), send your computer to Lenovo (or the shop you bought it) to get back your shipped original Windows 8.

Nikos , you try to play with things you can't handle at all, so you must assume your mistakes.

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
"You can't install another Win8 than the original one in UEFI , you can only on Legacy."

You mean that if i want an Win8 UEFI Install i need to know what exact x64 version of Win8 my Lenovo came activated with?

"Since SecureBoot check the Win8 installer's platform key and compare it with the one in its firmware, your "fancy" Win8 won't boot unless UEFI/Secureboot is disabled/on Legacy."

But SecureBoot operates in Setup mode, so it will write to it's firmware the new Win8 installer's platform key. No?!?

"Open CMD as Administrator and type:"

Why convert the USB key to GPT?
I though that UEFI standard needed the HDD Drive to be Allocated as GPT.

"Extract Windows 8 ISO to the USB stick
Check that UEFI Boot (Secure Boot) is enabled in bios.
Press the key for boot menu.
Select "UEFI:xxx""

First i thank you for the detailed help you have given me.
Still no "UEFI:xxx" boot option

"Your HDD is/was GPT since Windows 8 was installed on UEFI mode."

It turned out it was and it had 9 partitions as GParted showed to me(one if them being unidentified) before wiping them all out.

Technet says 4 at default and 5 at recommended, so why 9 for me and 1 being unidentified?

"You could have used partitioning tools to shrink the C:\ partition and make a new partition.
There was no need to format the whole HDD then re create partitions."

Wasn't aware of that back then, otherwise i would have tried it before wiping everything out.

=====================

Now, before i start another Win8 Setup installation and set it up and setup programs on that one which also need setup i must know:

a) Is there a way to convert my current MBR drive => GPT drive so i i wont lose my mp3/music/videos/documents ?

b) Why use Shrink C:\ after the installation proccess and opposed of

Remove ALL partitions hence a big unallocated space be created
Click "New" on that, so that hopefully(will it work like that?) the default 4 EFI partition layout will appear.
Delete the [Windows Partition] UEFI Setup created and make [50 MB Windows Partition][Rest Space Data Partition] ?

That way i can have both default EFI partitioning and *my way* addition portioning too.

c) Will Motherboard's bios insert automatically the OEM's product serial number to the Win8 Setup proccess when it will require the serial number from me prior of installing?
===================

ps1: Umbra(if iam not tiring you) i need a detailed answer to everything before i start the UEFI Setup.
ps2: if only "helpers" in MDL answered to me the way you do we wouldnt have had those flame wars there.
ps3: i play with fire and learn. i burn myself first and then try method to heal. This is the way i operate.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Nikos said:
"You can't install another Win8 than the original one in UEFI , you can only on Legacy."

You mean that if i want an Win8 UEFI Install i need to know what exact x64 version of Win8 my Lenovo came activated with?

no you need the original Win8 shipped with your laptop, or one that share the same key that the one shipped.

"Since SecureBoot check the Win8 installer's platform key and compare it with the one in its firmware, your "fancy" Win8 won't boot unless UEFI/Secureboot is disabled/on Legacy."

But SecureBoot operates in Setup mode, so it will write to it's firmware the new Win8 installer's platform key. No?!?

no ! Secureboot is a checker; how to be simple....when you pass the border check in a airport , the police check if your face correspond to the picture in your passport, you don't give a new picture , then the police change the one in the passport !

you don't convert the USB , you convert the whole HDD (you seriously need to focus on reading)

are you sure...? so when you start your laptop , then go to the Bios , you don't have any UEFI options? i read you have said the opposite on MDL... be clear please.

It turned out it was and it had 9 partitions as GParted showed to me(one if them being unidentified) before wiping them all out.

there your mistake

Technet says 4 at default and 5 at recommended, so why 9 for me and 1 being unidentified?

i don't care of Technet said, their system is not your system , they have a different computer not yours

"You could have used partitioning tools to shrink the C:\ partition and make a new partition.
There was no need to format the whole HDD then re create partitions."

Wasn't aware of that back then, otherwise i would have tried it before wiping everything out.

That is your problem, you do without knowing what you are doing...
as if i do a surgery to someone without being a doctor then check on google how to resurrect the guy i just killed...

=====================

Now, before i start another Win8 Setup installation and set it up and setup programs on that one which also need setup i must know:

a) Is there a way to convert my current MBR drive => GPT drive so i i wont lose my mp3/music/videos/documents ?

yes: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26193-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-disk.html

Click "New" on that, so that hopefully(will it work like that?) the default 4 EFI partition layout will appear.
Delete the [Windows Partition] UEFI Setup created and make [50 MB Windows Partition][Rest Space Data Partition] ?

That way i can have both default EFI partitioning and *my way* addition portioning too.

you failed already by doing that , so DO WHAT WE TOLD YOU and don't try to do your way again, it is just a failure made by deep ignorance.

c) Will Motherboard's bios insert automatically the OEM's product serial number to the Win8 Setup proccess when it will require the serial number from me prior of installing?

yes normally

ps1: Umbra(if iam not tiring you) i need a detailed answer to everything before i start the UEFI Setup.
ps2: if only "helpers" in MDL answered to me the way you do we wouldnt have had those flame wars there.

They did like me but you were too stubborn to follow their advice, perpetually want to adapt their advice to fit your way when it can't be

ps3: i play with fire and learn. i burn myself first and then try method to heal. This is the way i operate.

absurd way...

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012

you don't convert the USB , you convert the whole HDD (you seriously need to focus on reading)

You misunderstood me.
The guy form MDL gave me GPT diskpart information to act upon the USB key instead of the actual HDD where Win8 need to be installed to.

Why?

are you sure...? so when you start your laptop , then go to the Bios , you don't have any UEFI options? i read you have said the opposite on MDL... be clear please.

I didn't said the opposite.
I have an Bios/UEFI and its corresponding options
Yes, i dont see an "UEFI:xxx"" usb boot option in my <F12> Boot Selection Menu.

there your mistake

i don't care of Technet said, their system is not your system , they have a different computer not yours

Technet doesnt say bullshit. It describes the numbers of partitions needed for an UEFI install.
It says that in default mode the following 4 partitions will be needed:

Recovery Enviroment
System
MSR
Windows 8

and a recommended action would be creating one more for Recovery Image.
This is not bullshit.
Why i had 9(1 being unidentified i dont know)

"you failed already by doing that , so DO WHAT WE TOLD YOU and don't try to do your way again, it is just a failure made by deep ignorance."

I didnt try that so far. after wiping all out, i did a legacy win8 install with my accustomed way of partitioning.
Now we are talking UEFI install.
I'am not trying to be smart here.
I just want the whole partition scheme to take place during installation time.

Will what a described above work? i need to know this before trying to make the actual install
If it won't work than at what point will it go wrong?
I really do not see why such an idea would fail.

yes normally

"Does the embedded Serial Number of the Mobo Bios will work for ANY Windows version"

Of course NOT. It will ONLY work for the SKU that came preinstalled on your Lenove before you fscked it all.

Elaborate for me please. The SKU? You mean the flavor of Windows came as an OEM?
i have a x64 Greek MSDN VL Win8
What do i have to do so during the setup process the Installer pick successfully the serial number from mobo bios?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Nikos, Honestly, i don't want to do another 12 pages thread here, do what people tell you to do, that is all and stop asking "why this? why that?" You have all the procedure to redo an UEFI-based system , if you want keep your legacy, do as your way, but don't ask why it is not UEFI...

You ask about it here , i answered ; now you quote other people from other sites, so stop asking me if you don't follow my advices (as you did at MDL).
I gave you the clues, now feel free to follow it or not, after all that is your computer not mine.

I will stop to reply. good luck.

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
its 24 page thread, NOT 12, (and 2-3 pages have been deleted by an admin because of flame war against me).
I dont want another flame war going on here. I respect the forum.

Also you make feel like an idiot(wasting time and effort) reading ALL you posts and replyng back by quoting and cross-referencing to ADD additional information regarding the matter, so we and other uefi newbies members benefit from the process.

"so DO WHAT WE TOLD YOU and don't try to do your way again, it is just a failure made by deep ignorance."

I do not accept, comments like that.

Prove to me what i described is a yet another failure.
You can't.
If you could, you would.

ps1: I'am really not trying to be mean here, this is a learning curve process, we can all benefit from. It's complicated though
ps2: I was under the impression that you were a deep analysis thinker.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Nikos said:
its 24 page thread, NOT 12, (and 2-3 pages have been deleted by an admin because of flame war against me).
I dont want another flame war going on here. I respect the forum.

24 pages , then closed by admins and you are banned...so do what people tell you, is it complicated?

Also you make feel like an idiot(wasting time and effort) reading ALL you posts and replyng back by quoting and cross-referencing to ADD additional information regarding the matter, so we and other uefi newbies members benefit from the process.

newbies will just follow instead of improvising.

Prove to me what i described is a yet another failure.
You can't.
If you could, you would.

why you are still here asking if it works...

ps1: I'am really not trying to be mean here, this is a learning curve process, we can all benefit from. It's complicated though
ps2: I was under the impression that you were a deep analysis thinker.

I don't care of your impression; i am willing to help people that, at least, follow my advices, i just don't like waste my time with those that doesn't.

Good luck

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
newbies will just follow instead of improvising.

Following the beaten track would help partioning AFTER installation is complete.

Improvising, would help partitioning DURING the installation process (more native confrontation)

Conclusion: we have 2 ways of dealing with the subject(which is adding portions to the UEFI's defaults)

Upvote 0

AFriendlyMDLUser

Jan 12, 2013
Hey guys,just a friendly bit of advice from a concerned MDL user,
we were forced to deal with Niko's BS for sometime now and he's proven himself to be utterly incapable of following simple instructions and just wasting his forum member's time. So,I recommend that you stop wasting yours and use your time and effort on someone that'll actually appreciate the help.

If you don't believe me - check these 2 threads
This
and this

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.