App Review More Fun with Ransomware Part 2

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
D

Deleted member 2913

Do these malware affects programs like Rollback, AX64, etc... I mean with these malware infection is it possible to restore system with the installed RB, AX64, etc...

Would be good to see a test on the above mentioned software.

And would be good to see a test on Voodoo Shield different Protection Modes.

Last edited by a moderator:

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
AppGuard is a finely coded security application, no doubt, and would stop stuff like this. The only issue I have with AppGuard (or any anti-exe) is that when AG is confronted by and unknown the user will get a popup where he/she must choose whether or not to run the file. An incorrect decision will end in tears.

H

hjlbx

AppGuard is a finely coded security application, no doubt, and would stop stuff like this. The only issue I have with AppGuard (or any anti-exe) is that when AG is confronted by and unknown the user will get a popup where he/she must choose whether or not to run the file. An incorrect decision will end in tears.

BRN changed it. It is just block notification. User now has to go through hidden UI to allow.

Still, handing AppGuard to novice with a not-so-great help file is... well, it just ain't gonna turn out so well for some. Virtualization is much easier for vast majority of users.

Last edited by a moderator:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@CruelSis, new Teslacrypt 4 is reported to be unbreakable and a horror to stop. Cant wait for a test of that one. The way things are going I am going to have to keep my PC in a bubble lol. PeAcE

bob974

Level 4
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
Lock-Down Mode - block execution of any ransomware

Protected (Medium) Mode - block execution of all unsigned ransomware; digitally signed ransomware will execute and encrypt C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\User directories. Ransom file can perform other actions in those directories dependent upon what is was coded to do.

I am still searching for digitally signed ransomware to verify.
it would be interesting to test it ...

H

hjlbx

it would be interesting to test it ...

Most advanced users just run AppGuard in Lock-Down mode. A few use Protected Mode. It doesn't really matter too much which policy is enforced if user never introduces new files to their system and attempts to execute them.

Infection much more likely the result of user mistake or carelessness when using AppGuard. Once you learn how to use it, much less likely to screw up.

Any how, this is kinda off-topic and I will leave it at that.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
@cruelsister: Great vid as always, thank you for the Part II :) Seems as if Ransomware is becoming the biggest threat today. However, it has one good aspect: More and more people will be forced to do backups - even if they were too lazy in the past :)
Thank you for sharing :)

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
I can't see this video.. Why? Now I can view it, but the 1st time I tried from youtube it gave me an error
It asked me to view it on Youtube only due to the Music content used in the background (Copyright owner disallows showing it from embedded sources (like MT)).

EDIT: @TheMalwareMaster: Maybe due to my German IP.

Attachments

• Unbenannt.JPG
    Unbenannt.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 361

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
It asked me to view it on Youtube only due to the Music content used in the background (Copyright owner disallows showing it from embedded sources (like MT)).
Thank you, I could only view it at MT instead.. And What about Bitdefender anti-ransomware module included in Bitdefender 2016?

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Cyber- I actually was just sent a Tesla4 file this morning by a former colleague. It is curious that the files (Doc, Photos, etc) retain their original file extension while still being encrypted. So far I just infected a few machines for giggles and really don't see it as any great advance. Although I'm sure the usual suspects will call this THE WORST THING EVER personally I'll take a Tesla any day over a Winlocky..

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Lock-Down Mode - block execution of any ransomware

Protected (Medium) Mode - block execution of all unsigned ransomware; digitally signed ransomware will execute and encrypt C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\User directories. Ransom file can perform other actions in those directories dependent upon what is was coded to do.

I am still searching for digitally signed ransomware to verify.
But is there any digitally signed ransomware in the wild?

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
The ESET detections (aside from the desktop Tesla) were the real-time scanner picking up control samples in a directory that I placed on the C drive. As there are so many fans of ESET on other forums, I thought it would be a good idea to show that ESET was running and detecting. ESET didn't detect any part of Winlocky.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
The ESET detections (aside from the desktop Tesla) were the real-time scanner picking up control samples in a directory that I placed on the C drive. As there are so many fans of ESET on other forums, I thought it would be a good idea to show that ESET was running and detecting. ESET didn't detect any part of Winlocky.
Now I have watched the video in full screen so I could read the ESET popups and now I see that none of the detections are related to Winlocky :oops::rolleyes:
Most of the people leave security suites at their default settings which is a huge fault since ESET can be easily customized for better detections through their non-signature based features.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.