Mozilla Persona - A better way to sign in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Mozilla Persona - https://login.persona.org
Mozilla Persona is an easy way to sign in to websites. Instead of making up a hard-to-remember username and password for each site, Persona lets you use your email address and a single password to sign in to any site that supports it. This article shows you how Persona works and how you can get started using it.​

How it works? - https://login.persona.org/about
When you create a Persona account, you're sent a verification email that lets Persona know that you really do own your email address. Then, when you use Persona to log in to a website, the website is given your email address and proof you really do own it, but they are never given your Persona password. This works similarly to how you prove your identity when you show someone your ID: websites can easily verify that your ID is authentic and that you really are the person it was issued to.​

What are the benefits of Mozilla Persona?
  • You can use one easy-to-remember log in for all sites that support Persona.
  • You never have to trust a website with your password because they never know it. Also, your password can't be stolen if one of those websites gets hacked.
  • You can use Persona with as many email addresses as you want. This lets you keep your various online personalities (school, work, home, etc.) separate.
  • Persona doesn't let your email provider track what websites you visit.
https://support.mozilla.com/kb/what-is-persona-and-how-does-it-work

upload_2014-4-19_15-23-49.png

What are your thoughts on Persona by Mozilla?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I didn't even know about it, I will have to try it.
I believe it only works on websites that supports it so it won't replace password managers like LastPass.

Thanks. :D

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Never knew about it, gonna give it a try! Thanks! :)

But I feel that Mozilla should focus on a much more simple task: better built-in Sync option to Firefox..

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I tried this sometime last year, but never found another site that used Persona to log in with. It's need to be more widely adapted on sites, so that someone can review it properly.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
..very interesting. Thanks!
My wife just walked by, I gave her a brief description, and she replied "Well, isn't that what you have LastPass for?".
Quick wit that I am,:confused: and having just read Littlebits' comment about '..only certain websites it supports',
I shot back: "Uh...:rolleyes: ..LastPass is...SECURE!"
Duh!:):):p:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.