tlacenka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
Hello here:),
need to help for choosing security sw for windows
have used norton 360 before...than.. i was not satisfied with some things
than i try emsisoft - actually i am using it, but last 14 days is really hell - firewall disconects net from computer (when i disable firewall no problem, no problem before - nothing "special" in rulez, it crashed sometimes -i need to look other way :)
what i have tested (and bought) - have lifetime license for agnitum outpost - sometime i try to install it, try some malwarepacks (in virtual mashine) and... it founds sometime something (almost it things it is clear) - ok, not using it
actually have for about 3 years licence for emsisoft, but as i wrote - that firewall and sometime crash makes me crazy.
so what u suggest for use ?
dont have problem to pay for sw, but not "soooo much" :)
it doesnot to be 1 security suite - it can be antisomething +firewall +...
using mbam too with all the security suites (and no problem with those)

thx for suggestions

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Are you using Oracle Vitual Box?
What version of Emsisoft Internet Security are you using? Did you upgrade to version 10? Version 10 fixed some problems.

The best advice is to try different ones paid and or free.
Paid:
  • ESET* > Paid
  • Kaspersky* > Paid
  • Bitdefender* > Paid
  • Norton* > Paid
  • Trend Micro* > Paid
*Both Antivirus only and Security Suites

Free:
  • Avast > Free + Windows firewall
  • Avira > Free + Windows Firewall
  • Bitdefender > Free + Windows Firewall
  • AVG > Free + Windows Firewall
  • Comodo Internet Security > Free
  • Panda > Free + Windows Firewall

Reactions: Sloth

tlacenka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
virtualbox, sometime vmware, and i have 1 computer with full system for testing only - its old cpu, but the antivirus etc doesnot need the overpower - for testing.
as i wrote - i dont have problem to pay .)
so...is there any "best" combo of antimalware and firewall ?
btw how about spyshelter ?

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Paid:
Eset smart security
TrendMicro Internet security

Free:
Comodo internet security
360 total security :)

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
For Windows 8.1 I would suggest:
Windows Defender + Windows Firewall (you can add BiniSoft WFC)
CryptoPrevent (anti-ransomware)
HitanPro.Alert (anti-exploit, keystroke encryption etc)
HitmanPro (on demand scanner)
UAC set to max

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
(MSE)WD on 8.1 along MBAM free/pro is more than enough to protect yourself from malware. Kaspersky/BD seems to be best choice if you're willing to pay for an overall protection. Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 is also good if malware is stubborn enough to be cleansed from windows.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Definitely Kaspersky or ESET for paid. ESET is as light as a feather and offers great protection. Kaspersky is a little heavier but it has more features built into it.

Emsisoft is another great one, sad to see that it's not playing well with you. You should try to contact support and see if they have any ideas how to help you with it.

Avast is another good one but you still have to be careful, a friend of mine got his computer infected while having avast protecting it. If you want a high detection rate with chances of false positives maybe you can consider Qihoo 360 security essentials. Like I said, they have a really good detection rate but also has a really bad false positive problem so you really have to know what looks like an infection and what is actually a safe application.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Since you have a license for Emsisoft keep it.Just disable Emsisoft firewall and use Windows firewall
until Emsisoft releases an update for this bug.
You can contact Emsisoft support it's really good and they can help you solve your problem.

H

hjlbx

@tlacenka

In my experience, the best overall security soft for W8/8.1 is Emsisoft Internet Security.

Emsisoft has done an extremely good job of tweaking EIS for W8.1 - and made it quite stable with very few bugs.

The user interface is easy to learn...

It's a very optimized security soft.

tlacenka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
I was so satisfied with their support and product, that i have bought the licence for 3 years.
but actually i am not satisfied - have written to their support, but no answer yet - ok, i can wait, but actually something is wrong with it - dunno if is problem with windows and their updates or with eis.
i dont say its bad product - its very good.. but actually i cannot trust it - i dont have nothing against their product - its great - u install it and can forgot, but as i wrote - i cannot trust their product now
I mean the product as security suite - as i can trust the antimalware (if it runs - actually it doesnot and i cannot start it - only after restart:/)

I look at the other security solutions u wrote here - if u have another tip, just wrote it :)
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
There is a known conflict between Virtual Box bridged network adapter driver and EIS.I don't know if the issue is completely fixed with version 10 since after BSOD's on Windows 7 I used it only on Windows 8.1 where I did not have Virtual Box installed.Microsoft released a HotFix for the BSOD problem on Windows 7 but still had a conflict with VB.
@tlacenka try uninstalling Virtual box completely.You also need to run a command prompt to remove the Bridged Network Adapter Driver.
You can use a 3rd party uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller so you can remove all traces of Virtual Box and reboot.
To remove the VB Bridged Network Adapter Driver do the following:
Open a command prompt as administrator
Enter the following
Code:
sc delete VBoxNetFlt
Hit enter on your keyboard
If you need to reinstall EIS 10 do so at this time

I think that will take care of your problems with EIS.I would try this before you give up on EIS since you have paid for it and it is a very good program. Emsisoft offers top notch support.It really runs well on Windows 8/8.1

Last edited:
Reactions: tonibalas

tlacenka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
thx for help, but it doesnot solve the problem - i am not using virtualbox on mashine where i am using EIS :((
something is really wrong - updates takes a loooot of time and when i restart pc (after EIS crash or stop running as "user accesible" ((i see tray icon can turn on/off components from there, but the overview window doesnot appear, or it is completly black)) than i can turn it off (give the captcha code) and sometimes windows say it has crashed, sometime it says "file guard still active" and when i restart the pc, it says last update was t-18hours :(
have tried disable firewall, but it doesnot matter - the suite still doesnot work like before :/

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@tlacenka : Regarding to Spyshelter, its an optional but likely better focus on encrypted keystrokes like Keyscrambler. Your antivirus should handle all the possible category.*

*Spyshelter is based to be detect as HIPS (host intrusion prevention system) behaviour like keylogger or access webcams so be sure to check the program's content if its safe or not.

Reactions: Kent

tlacenka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
have uninstalled eis
emsiclean doesnot found any remains
restarted computer
installed EIS
time will show .)
(but its todays second reinstallation)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
have uninstalled eis
emsiclean doesnot found any remains
restarted computer
installed EIS
time will show .)
(but its todays second reinstallation)
I have used emsiclean before when I experienced similar issues as yours and that usually does the trick.

tlacenka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
yup, but it doesnot found nothing after reinstall = the uninstaller was not corrupted :D
but thx - as i wrote - time will show, but on notebook i will try the combo of comodo firmware...maybe the comodo is (free), but last time (about 2y ago) i tried CIS, it has not soo good detection as others... thats no problem at all, but it cannot remove some malware (and thats problem)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
yup, but it doesnot found nothing after reinstall = the uninstaller was not corrupted :D
but thx - as i wrote - time will show, but on notebook i will try the combo of comodo firmware...maybe the comodo is (free), but last time (about 2y ago) i tried CIS, it has not soo good detection as others... thats no problem at all, but it cannot remove some malware (and thats problem)
Yes it sometimes doesn't find anything but fixes issues after running it and reinstalling the software.Keep us posted

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.