Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I'd been asked by a trainer of an advocacy group of computer technician as a guess speaker in one of their seminars. Most of them are holding seminars/workshops on Basic Hardware Troubleshooting, Basic Networking. Since Malware Removal as well as Windows Repair are never thought in any training center (both short term and 2 year course) due to lack of qualified instructors, I like to tackle on that topic. Atendees would mostly be noobies. I like some input on what to talk about that would be grasped in about 4 hours of teaching time.

D

Deleted member 178

easy:

1- explain what is a malware, the differents types, and what they do; don't go too technical , use analogies
2- explain what coutermeasures exist (Avs, etc...)
3- explain what happen if they fails (also describe users mistakes)
4- explain which areas the malwares used to sit
5- explain what kind of tools exist (FMAIS, OTL, Combofix, Gmer, TDSSkiller, etc...) and what they do.
6- take a thread in the removal section , study it , and use it as a demo.

Finish by a tremendous statement , that all your speech was influenced by the awesome Umbra Polaris lurking on MT and discreetly propose them to register here for more infos :D

Reactions: WinXPert

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I'd been asked by a trainer of an advocacy group of computer technician as a guess speaker in one of their seminars. Most of them are holding seminars/workshops on Basic Hardware Troubleshooting, Basic Networking. Since Malware Removal as well as Windows Repair are never thought in any training center (both short term and 2 year course) due to lack of qualified instructors, I like to tackle on that topic. Atendees would mostly be noobies. I like some input on what to talk about that would be grasped in about 4 hours of teaching time.

What are you exactly asking? I mean what would you like to know? As this is pretty much in my line of work, so ask me questions and i might be able to give you some pointers.

WinXPert

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
What are you exactly asking? I mean what would you like to know? As this is pretty much in my line of work, so ask me questions and i might be able to give you some pointers.

They just told me to provide an outline, that's easy @Umbra Polaris post would be just fine. As a backgrounder, out of thousands of computer technicians here I know of about 15+ people who had the ability of removing unknown malware with limited resources (that is using what Windows had to offer like taskman, regedit, CMD, gpedit etc.) Which means I'll be talking about something like an uncharted waters even to an noobies & oldie techs, trainer included who are used to doing reformat/reinstall solution to a malware that can be removed easily in under 10 minutes. I'd been handling viruses since MSDOS 3.3 so that knowledge can't be transferred overnight. As an analogy what I need is a seed to plant on noobie tech's thinking processes. Something that would stick to their brains to put some effort in studying more about malware removal. Another thing is that I'm not formally trained to teach large groups, which the trainer recruiting me don't mind since he believe I know the topic well enough.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
D

Deleted member 178

what is important is to use simple words and analogies, i always do that in reviews or explanation to noobies, and it never fails.

WinXPert

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I use that a lot in my native tongue of course

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
It may be a good idea to talk about backups as well, i imagine you could talk for quite a while about ransomware and encryption.
Especially with the recent outbreak of cryptolocker, cryptodefense, dirty decrypt etc.
Could maybe end the seminar with backup your data, local, or in the cloud. :D

WinXPert

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
It may be a good idea to talk about backups as well, i imagine you could talk for quite a while about ransomware and encryption.
Especially with the recent outbreak of cryptolocker, cryptodefense, dirty decrypt etc.
Could maybe end the seminar with backup your data, local, or in the cloud. :D

Thnaks, Will do

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.