Network Firewall

avianblue

Thread author
Jul 18, 2014
There is a little flag in system tray with a red circle with an X in it which opens (Windows?) Action Center with a message:

Network Firewall (important)

I've been trying to figure out how to correct this issue on my wifes laptop and have not been able to corrected the problem.

For anyone else having the same issue that I am having, I have listed the information and steps I have taken so far and would appreciate anyone who is more computer literate than I am (which is probably everyone) to review the following and lend any help to resolve this issue.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L675D-S7016. It has Windows 7 Home Premium for its operating system.

We are running Comcast Xfinity Internet (through a wireless router).
This ISP service has Norton Security Suite anti-virus (and should have its own built in firewall protection).

When I open the Action Center I'm getting a Security alert message:
"Network firewall: Windows Firewall and Norton Security Suite both report that they are turned off."

When I view the "Action Center" firewall options I get a pop up window which displays 3 options:
1- Turn on Windows Firewall (choosing this option turns on Windows Firewall for all network connections)
Clicking in this window shows the little hourglass (system working/processing) icon, then the entire Action Center window closes. Apparently nothing has been activated.

2- (green arrow) Turn on Norton Security Suite (Choosing this option will run a registered, signed program that windows can't monitor.
Clicking in this window opens another window box (with windows) asking me if I want to run this program.
(green arrow) Yes, I trust the publisher and want to run this program or
(green arrow) No, I would like to verify the identity of the publisher before running this program.
Clicking the Yes option again shows the little hourglass (system working/processing) icon, then the entire Action Center window closes. Apparently nothing has been activated.

3- (green arrow) Get a different firewall program online.

From what I understand (which isn't much I admit) Comcast provides firewall software/feature with the internet service.
Apparently I do not know how to access this Network Firewall protection to turn it on.

While poking around on the options I found and installed Microsoft Security Essentials which has a option to turn on Windows firewall.
This updated the latest virus and spyware definitions from microsoft.
The update then performed a quick scan on the laptop.
During the quick scan in a green bar on the top of the scan window: PC status: Protected but the flag alert in the taskbar did not go away.

When the scan was complete the Security Essential window displayed:
1- No threats were detected on your PC during this scan
2- Your PC is being monitored and protected
3- Real-time protection: On
4- Virus and spyware definitions: Up to date

When I access the Norton Security Suite program General settings:
1- The Smart Firewall is ON
2- Stealth Blocked Ports: ON
3- Stateful Protocol Filter: ON
4- Automatic File/Printer Sharing Control: ON
5- Block All Network Traffic: Unblocked

When I access the Norton Security Suite program Intrusion and Browser Protection Tab settings:
1- Intrusion Prevention: ON
2- Notifications: ON
3- Browser Protection: ON
4- Download Intelligence: ON

When I access the Norton Security Suite program Advance Settings tab:
1- Automatic Program Control: Automatic
2- Advanced Events Monitoring: Off (this feature can only be turned on if the Automatic Program Control is turned off).

As a side note I have a desktop PC connected directly to the same wireless router the laptop connects wirelessly to and I am not getting any Firewall alert messages.

After all this, I rebooted the laptop.
The taskbar flag alert is still there, and the Microsoft Security Essentials taskbar icon (which looks like a green bad with a white checkmark in it) states PC Status: Protected (does that mean the firewalls are active?)

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
start> run (windows key+R) in the box write services.exe, find windows firewall, it suppose to be disable, try to set it to automatic and reboot, now try to turn on the fire and see if it's working. if you have firewall suite with norton its disabling win firewall
and good idea to scan the system with malwarebytes full scan

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.