Advice Request New Avast Version 21.1.2449 - CyberCapture off by default?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
How are file transfer speeds? I have been considering ESET (plus OSArmor) instead of Microsoft Defender, because Defender is just as light on a gaming machine until I go to transfer large files to my external drive. Then I remember why I went to ESET in the first place.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Do you guys think that the paid version is worth it?

Here in Brazil it isnt that expensive, but for me the free version seems to be very complete and the paid edition has a ton of bloatware in contrast.

I could totally see the value for less experienced users because of the sheer amount of tools present.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017

It depends on what you are looking for. If you plan to use their sandbox or firewall it may be worth it. Otherwise all protection modules of importance are included in the free version. They also offer a software updater, file shredder and some other tools, but there are free alternatives out there which probably are even better.

fabiobr

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Do you guys think that the paid version is worth it?

Here in Brazil it isnt that expensive, but for me the free version seems to be very complete and the paid edition has a ton of bloatware in contrast.

I could totally see the value for less experienced users because of the sheer amount of tools present.
Only for VPN that I like it. But it's better to buy the ultimate bundle than VPN separately, cheaper.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

It depends on what you are looking for. If you plan to use their sandbox or firewall it may be worth it. Otherwise all protection modules of importance are included in the free version. They also offer a software updater, file shredder and some other tools, but there are free alternatives out there which probably are even better.

The paid version is a very complete pack, almost a bloatware collection (not in a bad way), but most of those tools I got covered by other solutions, so what I want to know is the quality itself of those (firewall/software updater/sandbox and so on).

The software updater for example didnt amuse me, it only listed 4 applications in my machine ...

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
The paid version is a very complete pack, almost a bloatware collection (not in a bad way), but most of those tools I got covered by other solutions, so what I want to know is the quality itself of those (firewall/software updater/sandbox and so on).

The software updater for example didnt amuse me, it only listed 4 applications in my machine ...
Exactly, just go with Sumo and PatchMyPC and you will cover more updates than any other premium software does. About the firewall, I never was a big fan of third party ones. Avast Free + FirewallHardening is definitely good enough and not worth spending money on the premium version. I never heard anything about the sandbox tho, so I can't say anything about that.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I've forgotten to mention something, regarding the false positives, there is a very easy way to report them.

View attachment 254180
Never saw such an easy way to report false positives in any AV. Dude, I actually tried to stay strong and not go with the flow, but you really make it hard not checking AVG out. Will install it on my laptop and see how it goes. 😄

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I noticed a minor bug in AVG, it isnt saving my configuration in the Scans section and in the Notification with the "enable AVG sounds" option, after a reboot it will change for its default values, the other options seems fine.

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Just wondering as there are complaints on the Avast forum all the time about users using the free version who say that their credit card got charged without them knowing. Also, lots of complaints about ads in the free version however I believe there is a way to limit them.
This is why I always purchase a key for AVs from places like newegg. I'd rather pay for the key than have subscription problems.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Just wondering as there are complaints on the Avast forum all the time about users using the free version who say that their credit card got charged without them knowing. Also, lots of complaints about ads in the free version however I believe there is a way to limit them.
Avast is very popular so its name could be used by scammers to make the infamous "refund" trick; you don't need a credit card neither an account to use the free version.

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
How is the browsing experience in the latest versions of Avast/AVG?
  • Is it slowed down?
  • Can you disable HTTPS scanning?
  • Can you opt not to install browser extensions?
1. I notice no difference from WD (which has no hooks) so far. Your mileage may vary based on hardware. Edit: also I've seen connection speed cause this to make a difference depending on the AV.
2. Yes, but I left it on for now (it doesn't seem to use a certificate)
3. Yes, it took me to the extension store page on first load of chrome, I just closed it.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I have reported that, I noticed that too. It is not something that I like too much. Hope it will be fixed soon.

I rebooted the system and again the settings from the Scans returned to default, along with "no sound", it is a little annoying and strangely it didnt happen with Avast.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.