Advice Request Norton expired, McAfee Total is worth trying or stay with Norton? Whats better?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BVLon

McAfee is great as a webfilter, but AV is below average. It is also very inconsistent. Sometimes it outperforms every AV out there, sometimes it just lets all in... It can't be trusted too much. If you want McAfee, I've got unlimited devices license, valid till 2028. I can send you an install link. But I would strongly recommend that you use something like the Acronis or TrendMicro anti-ransomware tools in conjunction with McAfee.

B

BVLon

I am very concerned about the following points with McAfee:
1. Many times it detects a threat as "Suspect". It asks for a reboot, then after reboot the executable is still there. If you try and run it, the cycle just repeats.
2. Many times it detects a threat on one machine, but not on another. Sometimes it would detect a threat on Virus Total, but will not stop it on anyone's machines.
3. Response time to new threats is definitely not best...
4. Behavioural blocker is a hit and miss. I've seen it in action a lot of times, but many times threat is actively working in the background and RealProtect is just sleeping.
5. I raised my concerns with McAfee team (I used their software and tested it for about 2 months every single day). I was asked to submit a sample that McAfee won't detect...which really, wasn't a hard task. The first sample that I downloaded that day was not detected. I sent them an email and did not hear anything ever since. It doesn't look like McAfee is looking to provide great protection. They rely on contracts and OEM bullshit to sell their software.

What I have observed (I don't wanna be accused of Bashing) was seen in various tests and the inconsistency of McAfee was confirmed.
AV-Test for example, In October awarded McAfee with "Top Product". December, just 2 months later, McAfee's detection rate is 5.0/6/0, which is almost the worst. Only eScan and TotalAV have a score lower than McAfee.
AV-comparatives or any other organisation doesn't place McAfee in a leading position either, in fact McAfee always tends to get pretty much the worst score, with some minor exceptions. The only test where it truly shined, was AV-Comparatives performance test, which I somehow don't accept as valid.

AV-Test's endurance Test is a good way to compare.

Last edited by a moderator:

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
I am very concerned about the following points with McAfee:
1. Many times it detects a threat as "Suspect". It asks for a reboot, then after reboot the executable is still there. If you try and run it, the cycle just repeats.
2. Many times it detects a threat on one machine, but not on another. Sometimes it would detect a threat on Virus Total, but will not stop it on anyone's machines.
3. Response time to new threats is definitely not best...
4. Behavioural blocker is a hit and miss. I've seen it in action a lot of times, but many times threat is actively working in the background and RealProtect is just sleeping.
5. I raised my concerns with McAfee team (I used their software and tested it for about 2 months every single day). I was asked to submit a sample that McAfee won't detect...which really, wasn't a hard task. The first sample that I downloaded that day was not detected. I sent them an email and did not hear anything ever since. It doesn't look like McAfee is looking to provide great protection. They rely on contracts and OEM bullshit to sell their software.

What I have observed (I don't wanna be accused of Bashing) was seen in various tests and the inconsistency of McAfee was confirmed.
AV-Test for example, In October awarded McAfee with "Top Product". December, just 2 months later, McAfee's detection rate is 5.0/6/0, which is almost the worst. Only eScan and TotalAV have a score lower than McAfee.
AV-comparatives or any other organisation doesn't place McAfee in a leading position either, in fact McAfee always tends to get pretty much the worst score, with some minor exceptions. The only test where it truly shined, was AV-Comparatives performance test, which I somehow don't accept as valid.

Wow, nice. I didn't know this.

Kaspersky and Norton always on top.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Endurance Test with 18 Internet Security Suites
The latest endurance test proves that there is even better protection for Windows 10 than is provided by Windows Defender. The lab at AV-TEST examined 18 Internet security suites over a period of 6 months. Here are the results.
www.av-test.org
www.av-test.org

This is good info.

Did this get its own thread already.... or did I miss it?

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Just playing devils advocate here, but their intro statement is a little misleading IMHO. I mean looking at the result WD for 5.8 out of 6 for protection, so I wouldn't really say that it's a missive home run for the ones that got 6 out of 6. Don't get me wrong, the products that got perfect are all well regarded, but me personally wouldn't be running to the store anytime soon to replace WD when it score near perfect too, that's just my opinion.

B

BVLon

Just playing devils advocate here, but their intro statement is a little misleading IMHO. I mean looking at the result WD for 5.8 out of 6 for protection, so I wouldn't really say that it's a missive home run for the ones that got 6 out of 6. Don't get me wrong, the products that got perfect are all well regarded, but me personally wouldn't be running to the store anytime soon to replace WD when it score near perfect too, that's just my opinion.
You don’t have to, WD is good. Bit heavy; with lots of false positives, but MS invested millions in its architecture and backend, bought many startups, mostly Israeli. The result is, WD jumped almost to the top from the rock bottom. It’s not so bad after all. Also, if you go AV-comparatives, you’ll see there is a period where Windows Defender smoothly transitions, from ~8x% to 99... it’s not like they woke up and suddenly their detection rate jumped.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BVLon

What I forgot to mention about McAfee, which I know is now off-topic, but is worth saying for the public to know is literally shocking.

Most of the samples that haven’t been detected, weren’t even signed or anything. So McAfee allows a totally suspicious executable to mess around with the system, download additional unsuspicious files and do whatever the hell it wants.
This was one of the things I never understood. I mean if you miss a highly-sophisticated infection that’s fine, but unsigned exes, with no visible window, connecting to the network, self-terminating, downloading other files and scripts, creating scheduled tasks, autoruns, collecting and sending data... and McAfee’s codenamed Raptor (RealProtect) just sits quietly... I just don’t get it. Seems like McAfee needs to be taught some fundamentals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.