Norton Internet Security 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Let's try to keep everything friendly if possible.:angel:

The way I see it and a lot of others may see it. When you install Norton with default configuration, it doesn't disable SmartScreen, UAC, Windows digital file checking when launching executable files, other browser security features, etc. except for Windows Firewall if installing the security suite, therefore these features shouldn't be disabled when testing Norton. Users may want to know if Norton can protect against threats not detected by Windows default security. Norton is made to be compatible with Windows default security features and is advertised to offer better protection. What better way to see if it really does offer better protection then to leave all of Windows default security features enabled and utilized?

You are correct about how other users test security products, they disable all of Windows default security, don't utilize UAC or digital file checking warning and expect the AV to detect everything on its own.

If you want to make more accurate reviews that will apply to real word environments then don't disable Windows default security features and utilize them to their potential.

If you just rather show how a single protect will do with detecting everything on its own, then keep doing as you have done.

It is up to you how you want to make your reviews but no matter how you do them, someone will always be there to make criticisms and point out faults. It is just something you will have to learn to deal with.

So please don't loose your temper when someone says something to point out a fault. Professional AV testers are criticized all the time.

Thanks.:D

Z

ZeroDay

I agree with Malware Security. If I'm seeing a product reviewed that's exactly what I want to see, that product reviewed not UAC, smart screen or any other windows feature. If it's a norton, kaspersky bitdefender test that's what I expect to be tested the actual product. I think it's beyond silly to complain about windows features being disabled to allow the product alone to be reviewed. It's a norton test, not UAC Smart screen or any other feature.

I really cannot believe people are complaining about these windows features being disabled, If I'm considering buying a product then I want to see THAT product reviewed alone without any other security measures. Good review Malware Security, keep up the good work and ignore silly comments about disabling windows features whislt testing a stand alone security product, haha some people!

Malware Security

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2013
Littlebits said:
Let's try to keep everything friendly if possible.:angel:

The way I see it and a lot of others may see it. When you install Norton with default configuration, it doesn't disable SmartScreen, UAC, Windows digital file checking when launching executable files, other browser security features, etc. except for Windows Firewall if installing the security suite, therefore these features shouldn't be disabled when testing Norton. Users may want to know if Norton can protect against threats not detected by Windows default security. Norton is made to be compatible with Windows default security features and is advertised to offer better protection. What better way to see if it really does offer better protection then to leave all of Windows default security features enabled and utilized?

You are correct about how other users test security products, they disable all of Windows default security, don't utilize UAC or digital file checking warning and expect the AV to detect everything on its own.

If you want to make more accurate reviews that will apply to real word environments then don't disable Windows default security features and utilize them to their potential.

If you just rather show how a single protect will do with detecting everything on its own, then keep doing as you have done.

It is up to you how you want to make your reviews but no matter how you do them, someone will always be there to make criticisms and point out faults. It is just something you will have to learn to deal with.

So please don't loose your temper when someone says something to point out a fault. Professional AV testers are criticized all the time.

Im just saying, wat happens if smart screen blocks everything, then i just did a windows review. When people buy the product, they can enable all that stuff, but im the tester, im only suppost to test the thing im testing. I dont want people to go out and spend $60 on a antivirus when smart screen blocks everything, then basically they spent $60 for nothing.

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Hi!

Good review!

I don't like Norton because he install that toolbar. I hope version 2014 will be better.

Have a nice day!

//sorry my bad english

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Im just saying, wat happens if smart screen blocks everything, then i just did a windows review. When people buy the product, they can enable all that stuff, but im the tester, im only suppost to test the thing im testing. I dont want people to go out and spend $60 on a antivirus when smart screen blocks everything, then basically they spent $60 for nothing.

I completely understand your points that is how most reviews are done they disable all other protection features when testing a product, but it is interesting that Symantec recommends to use Windows default security features with their products. Most other security software also posts protection guides suggestion to use Windows default security features with their products. It very interesting to read how they contradict themselves. First they say Windows default security is basically crap and you need to buy paid products, then they say you should have it enable with their products.

The truth of the matter if reviewers did have Windows default security enabled and utilized it while testing third-party products, they would find Windows default security is just as effective as paid solutions.

Since most users will have Windows default security enable, it makes you wonder just much malware is blocked before the third-party security does its job. The main problem with UAC, is users will just approve everything without even know what they did approve because UAC is usually not utilized.

Of coarse I would live to read a review of a paid security product tested with all of the other security features enabled just to see if it could detect malware missed by the other protection features. I believe that would show a better picture to see if that paid product was worth the cost.

Malware Security

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2013
Paul.R said:
Hi!

Good review!

I don't like Norton because he install that toolbar. I hope version 2014 will be better.

Have a nice day!

//sorry my bad english

haha its fine bro!
every screws up on english!lol

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For default review conduction, Windows features are must remained enabled or disabled according from factory settings and so goes for NIS when installed.

Now those built in features are fine caused main important when they prevent viruses before reaching on AV detection and bypassed.

Since its a reference information then ok to measure the effectiveness of the product that disabled or enabled alongside the Windows Features.

Malware Security

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2013
Please do not comment saying "turn on windows feature," i will never turn it on because i'm interested in the antivirus not windows!
if you do not like my review because im not turning on windows features, then im sorry to lose you!
If an antivirus recommends to turn on windows features, then that antivirus does not have faith on there web blocking. Like i keep saying, if im spending money on a antivirus, then thats the only thing i use if i was a person.

On your computer, you guys can turn all that stuff on, but i am an "antivirus Tester," so i'm not going to!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Malware Security said:
Please do not comment saying "turn on windows feature," i will never turn it on because i'm interested in the antivirus not windows!
if you do not like my review because im not turning on windows features, then im sorry to lose you!
If an antivirus recommends to turn on windows features, then that antivirus does not have faith on there web blocking. Like i keep saying, if im spending money on a antivirus, then thats the only thing i use if i was a person.

On your computer, you guys can turn all that stuff on, but i am an "antivirus Tester," so i'm not going to!

Well Windows Features securities that I've mentioned are UAC, SmartScreen Filter and others that are part of a Windows and its your choice nothing can force you.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Although I do agree with OP that there is no sense in testing av software enabling/depending on Windows product as IE & UAC but still Norton is not that bad product specially when one have option of running on demand scanner like mbam & hmp.
The detection rate too increase when smart definition turned off.

And after all that the Name is good enough to stop infection and I doubt anybody dares to enter the arena protected by such big name :p

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Edit:Using it now and I agree with Earth & Littlebits.
This is one of the better protection;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Are you using the Promotional 6 Months license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.