New Update Norton Security 22.24.1.6 for Windows is now available!

Szellem

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
This is a known bug for many years now. It's ridiculous that they haven't fixed it yet. On Edge, install Norton Safe Web from the Chrome store instead of Edge Add-ons and it'll start working as it normally should. No solution for Firefox. Norton also use much more CPU while browsing on Firefox. It's a browser they don't care about.
Thanks for your reply and the solution! It now works under Edge! But it's funny that it took so long to fix it.
May I ask what protection you are using now?

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
No idea,I don't use edge /.chrome or Firefox.
Opera and I use the Norton private browser
so then you are suggesting to DL Norton private browser and give it a try? :unsure: Eg not on the list at pcmag (just a comment not an "endorsement" of pcmag reviews)

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
so then you are suggesting to DL Norton private browser and give it a try? :unsure: Eg not on the list at pcmag (just a comment not an "endorsement" of pcmag reviews)

There's some good information on that link. Thanks for posting it.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Avast browser is same as Norton. So you can try @simmerskool
@Jengo, got Norton Private Browser DL'd & installed its setup exe on the VM running Norton AV Plus. (A flavor of chrome / chromium). Added nothing, not using their password manager. Went to a bank and it loaded pages very fast. So good.
Only kink so far, Privacy Center / Privacy Guard: initially seemed like there's 3 settings to choose from: basic, balanced (recommended) & strict. The default or installed setting was / is basic, and I tried to select balanced for more protection, and nothing happened? So I reopened browser as admin, and again would not select balanced.?? Unique to me, or anyone else seeing this?

Reactions: JB007

Jengo

Level 6
Thread author
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
any idea why my selection choices are frozen or seem frozen and stuck on basic?
No idea , did you install from the my Norton Menu or seperate ?

1709189621079.png

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
No idea , did you install from the my Norton Menu or seperate ?

View attachment 281837
thanks! running in VMware fwiw. IIRC I finally downloaded from Norton Private Browser page, but my Norton AV menu does now show browser as installed. I'll play with some more...
PS when I first tried to DL from myNorton acct, it said something like license exceeded (paraphrase) -- certainly possible I tried the Private Browser many moons ago, and uninstalled it and forgot about it, and that is the issue -- but like I said current DL, it is running fast, and seems to be running as advertised.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
This wil automatically change.
Yes. I right-clicked the NAV+ systray icon "get support" and it collected data, then needed a reboot, after reboot Norton autofix ran and finished with "success." Then I opened Private Browser and now Privacy Guard setting was moved to "balanced" (recommended) from basic, and is available to select strict. So fixed. I vote well-done Norton! :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.