Now you can activate Windows 10 with your Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 product key

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sinu

Thread author
The release of Windows 10 has been a rollercoaster ride of excitement, frustration, and disappointment. But with the Insider program Microsoft has given itself a unique opportunity to address issues and try out new features, testing them out on hardcore users.

With the release of Windows 10 Build 10565 we see not only the introduction of a number of new features, but also a change to the way the activation process works. Some people have experienced problems activating Windows 10 after performing the free upgrade. A Windows 10 product key may no longer be needed, but this latest Insider build introduces the option of activating Windows 10 using a Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product key.

The new process means that anyone who finds that Windows 10 complains about not being activated is now able to change their product key. It is also possible to use an old product key when performing a clean installation, but the same checks will be carried out to ensure that a qualifying device is being used.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Well it is about time they being Microsoft started to sort out this update train wreck they created. ;)

Reactions: Kent and LabZero
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Does this means now you can directly do clean install of Win 10 with previous OS key instead of upgrade first?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
From what i read yes you can.
So if I do clean install with previous OS key then the key will be stored with MS & next time clean install will not require entering key & will be activated automatically online?

OR if a user do clean install with previous OS key instead of upgrade then previous OS key will be required everytime OS install is done?

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I will wait for 6 more months ateast to give Microsoft plenty of time to do experiment with Windows 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasudev and frogboy

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
It seems you can do clean install directly but not clear if key needed everytime.
Preinstalled OS/OEM key is accepted too, right?
As far as i can tell yes.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As Microsoft license key are validated through servers hence perhaps you need to enter the key at the time of installation as long its matched and supported like in this article mentioned.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I've generated genuineticket.xml using gatherosstate.exe present on w10 iso to store w10 key.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
You cant do this with current stable, right?
You will be able to do this with the upcoming stable, right?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@yesnoo : From the sufficient information related to the article then yes only on that specified build which later on apply sooner when everything works smoothly.

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.