Battle Online Armor Premium, Outpost Firewall Pro, or PrivateFirewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRM3601

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 12, 2013
I should say, from the start, that I'm a relative neophyte when it comes to personal computers.

I'm an academic and my wife is an engineer. I use the pc for doing research, writing, and communicating with other sociologists. My wife uses SolidWorks and other engineering software. She also does research on the internet.

We are still using Windows XP, SP3. I have the latest edition of BitDefender for anti-virus software and Malwarebytes Pro.

I've read excellent reviews, terms of Firewall software, for Online Armor Premium, Outpost Firewall Pro, and for PrivateFirewall.

Would any of these make good choices given the above? Should I consider other firewall software?

All responses will be appreciated.

Thank you

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I have an older 'XP rig' that's also in need of firewall protection, so after reading everything each of you has shared I am now thoroughly confident either Online Armor or Privatefirewall would be my most sensible choice. Thank you.:D

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Was just reading about PrivateFirewall. Looks like an impressive firewall. If I should ever decide to uninstall CIS, I will use it with Sandboxie and TF.

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
Privatefirewall is my favorite too.I use it along with Panda Cloud,BitDefender Pro,Avira free,AVG Pro and now with Avast free.All i can say is an amazing firewall,all my consideration and admiration for the team behind it.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I am glad that I looked into PrivateFirewall. It seems to be a nice product.
Looks as if their headquarters are in Ohio, USA?
Hard to find good homegrown security software in the U.S.A. Europe has the market cornered.

bunyip783

Level 1
Mar 1, 2011
Surprised no one has recommended a hardware firewall. Can't do much better. Out of the above I'd choose private firewall but my favourite 3rd party firewall is Comodo or ESET/Kaspersky.

D

Deleted member 178

Hardware firewalls only block unwanted incoming connections so you need a software firewall to block outgoing ones.

There is more danger from outgoing connections made by a keylogger/backdoor than a hacker pinging you to find open ports; not saying than mostly all DSL boxes include an hardware firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.