OokamiCreed's Setup

Windows Edition
Pro
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)
Real-time security
Norton Security, Comodo Cloud Antivirus, Adguard, Spyshelter Anti-Keylogger
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Zemana Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox x64 (Lastpass, Xmarks, DownThemAll). Chrome x64 (Lastpass, Authy, Xmarks, MEGA, Tampermonkey, Norton Security Toolbar)
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro (HDD only), Process Lasso, Revo Uninstaller

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Norton Security on custom settings. Comodo Cloud Antivirus used mostly for it's sandboxing feature. Spyshelter Anti-keylogger on default high settings, Adguard filtering HTTPS, Process Hacker used for monitoring system performance and services (adding or removal).

That is everything noteworthy.

Other software that I use:

Sublime Text 3 (to replace Notepad and offer a good space to code in)
Foobar2000 (music)
7zip + PeaZip (file compressing and extraction)
VLC (for video watching)
Auslogics Defrag Pro (HDD defragmentation)
Process Lasso
Irfanview
(picture viewer)
TeraCopy (alternative cut/copy/move)
Mirillis Action (screen recording)
OBS Studio (screen recording)
Macrium Reflect (system backup and restore)
PNY Drive Utility (SSD firmware updater)
Libre Office (free office suite)
VeraCrypt (storage encryption)

Any comments/recommendations are very welcome.

Last edited:

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
A very good Config.
But I suggest you to install BitDefender 60 virus scanner and Collusion extension, that allows you to know which websites are tracking you. this extension is available also for your browser.
Thanks for sharing it, bro!! :)

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
A very good Config.
But I suggest you to install BitDefender 60 virus scanner and Collusion extension, that allows you to know which websites are tracking you. this extension is available also for your browser.
Thanks for sharing it, bro!! :)

I see no reason why I shouldn't have BitDefender 60 second scanner. I'll add that to my secondaries. As for Collusion, my uBlock has many filters to block all trackers along with the ads. I believe that ads may pay for some sites, but I pay for my internet, and they are stealing my bandwidth. I'd rather donate money.

Very good config. I suggest you only add Sandboxie and Shadow Defender if u want testing samples.

When I test live samples (not including when I just scan them) I run them in VirtualBox. As for Shadow Defender, that would probably be something I'd be highly interested in. A HIPS after all monitors changes, and that is what that does in a way. It's something that I feel I need so I will try it out. Thanks for suggestion. The Shadow Mode sounds very interesting. Sounds similar to how you can restore a snapshot of the OS you are running in VirtualBox but with out the emulation that slows it down.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Optional suggestion: You may add a backup browser like Opera with same extensions.

Other than that, good configuration and Forticlient AV is a worth a run for a system especially their web filter in action.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Optional suggestion: You may add a backup browser like Opera with same extensions.

Other than that, good configuration and Forticlient AV is a worth a run for a system especially their web filter in action.

While I have no problem with Opera browser, it has always ran slow on my system. With or without addons. Sometimes the web pages would be very delayed in loading. Might be a problem with PIA VPN I suppose. Maybe I'll have better luck with it on Linux. Never tried it there for about 2 years.

As for Forticlient, I've never been able to get a link past it. It's a very impressive piece of software.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Ignore this post. It double posted while trying to fix above post spelling mistake. No idea what happened there.

Reactions: Terry Ganzi

artifice22

Level 2
Verified
Apr 11, 2015
Hello
My name is artifice22 and I will be assisting you today,
your config is good but

Try installing:
  1. Glary Utilities:
  • Boosts PC speed and fixes frustrating errors, crashes and freezes.
  • Features one-click functionality and easy, automated options.
  • Over 20 tools to maximize your Computer's performance.
  • Online-support with any issues that may arouse.
  • Over 20 tools to maximize your Computer's performance
  • The No. 1 Free, Powerful and All-in-one utility for cleaning your PC.
2. Kaspersky Anti-Virus:

Essential Protection for Your PC
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2015 is your PC’s first line of defense against today’s complex malware threats. From the moment it’s installed, you benefit from essential, real-time protection against the latest malware attacks – without affecting your PC’s performance.

• NoLeftNav_icon210-220794.png

Defends against the latest viruses, spyware & more
  • NoLeftNav_icon310-220795.png

Scans & warns you about dangerous weblinks & emails
  • NoLeftNav_icon410-220796.png

Combines protection & performance for your PC

Product reviews : http://www.kaspersky.com/anti-virus#Feature2

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-9_20-51-39.png
    upload_2015-5-9_20-51-39.png
    144.2 KB · Views: 355
Reactions: CrimbangHD

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Hello
My name is artifice22 and I will be assisting you today,
your config is good but

Try installing:
  1. Glary Utilities:
  • Boosts PC speed and fixes frustrating errors, crashes and freezes.
  • Features one-click functionality and easy, automated options.
  • Over 20 tools to maximize your Computer's performance.
  • Online-support with any issues that may arouse.
  • Over 20 tools to maximize your Computer's performance
  • The No. 1 Free, Powerful and All-in-one utility for cleaning your PC.
2. Kaspersky Anti-Virus:

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2015 is your PC’s first line of defense against today’s complex malware threats. From the moment it’s installed, you benefit from essential, real-time protection against the latest malware attacks – without affecting your PC’s performance.

• NoLeftNav_icon210-220794.png

Defends against the latest viruses, spyware & more
  • NoLeftNav_icon310-220795.png

Scans & warns you about dangerous weblinks & emails
  • NoLeftNav_icon410-220796.png

Combines protection & performance for your PC

Product reviews : http://www.kaspersky.com/anti-virus#Feature2

I have used Glary Utilities but get better cleaning using Bleachbit and Diskmax. My computer doesn't play well with Kaspersky, and personally don't like it lessening ability to protect computers. Also used to have way more control over what it did before it decided to do it for itself.

While I don't like it currently, that doesn't mean I won't watch it progress. Well to be fair Kaspersky's firewall is great but it's not standalone.

Reactions: Logethica and Kent

FireShootSK

Level 17
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
2. Kaspersky Anti-Virus:

Why Kaspersky? Why not ESET for example? Forticlient is good AV

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Why Kaspersky? Why not ESET for example? Forticlient is good AV

ESET is certainly a AV/FW that I will probably move to in the future. I have used ESET Smart Security 6,7, and 8. And while 7 causes a few problem, 8 was flawless and ESET detects things like OpenCandy and gives a choice of what to do which I like. AV's are great if they not only detect viruses, but adware to. It also it super light on system performance. I believe it holds it's signatures in memory (around 80-120 MB of RAM) which I like. Make detection much faster. I dislike cloud based AV's.

FireShootSK

Level 17
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
ESET is certainly a AV/FW that I will probably move to in the future. I have used ESET Smart Security 6,7, and 8. And while 7 causes a few problem, 8 was flawless and ESET detects things like OpenCandy and gives a choice of what to do which I like. AV's are great if they not only detect viruses, but adware to. It also it super light on system performance. I believe it holds it's signatures in memory (around 80-120 MB of RAM) which I like. Make detection much faster. I dislike cloud based AV's.

ESET have very small number of false positives and signature database are updated very frequently.

Yes, ESET is very light. This is normal state (no scan, no downloading updates)
upload_2015-5-9_19-27-13.png

Cloud based AV's are good for slow PCs.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
ESET have very small number of false positives and signature database are updated very frequently.

Yes, ESET is very light. This is normal state (no scan, no downloading updates)
View attachment 56547

I'm fine if an AV uses 350MB (like Emsisoft has done while testing it). ESET has HIPS and that is what I'm missing in my setup. It's also nice that ESET always improves every release unlike some other AV's.

Cloud based AV's are good for slow PCs.

Very true. Best cloud based that I've used is Panda AV. It's super lightweight. Be good for my ancient Pentium 4 that no longer works. lol

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Updated with latest configurations. Changes include:

• Different AV and FW
  • PeaZIp instead of Bandizip and 7zip (7zip is integrated into PeaZip and Bandizip for those who didn't know)
  • Windows 7 Pro instead of Windows 8 Core
  • Cyberfox AMD x64 instead of x86
  • Added Emsisoft Emergency Kit to on demand scanners

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Updated with latest configurations. Changes include:

• Different AV and FW
  • PeaZIp instead of Bandizip and 7zip (7zip is integrated into PeaZip and Bandizip for those who didn't know)
  • Windows 7 Pro instead of Windows 8 Core
  • Cyberfox AMD x64 instead of x86
  • Added Emsisoft Emergency Kit to on demand scanners
Good update, bro ;) :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.