Guide | How To Opening Task Manager Quickly without CTRL+ALT+DEL

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

htfkid2000

Thread author
Jun 7, 2011
Well this is a little known fact about Windows and it's Task Manager...
Instead of Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and using a Cute Little Menu.....

You could press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, Instead of opening a Cute Little Menu, it opens the Task Manager without going through a menu! This may be useful for those pesky malware that disable CTRL+ALT+DELETE, or a faster way of opening Task Manager!

For some reason, hardly anybody knows about this!

Reactions: conceptualclarity

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I am IT Professional and I didn't even know about this. Thanks for the small tip! +1 :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I admit it, not known at all, caused CTRL+ALT+DEL is the primary shortcut keys and everyday used.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for sharing to those who haven't known about it.

I've been using Ctrl+Shift+Esc for over a year, it says much time. Ctrl+Shift+Esc is all the on the left side of my keyboard and to be honest, I never use Ctrl+Alt+Del anymore.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I have heard of this, but the main one I use is just Ctrl+Alt+Del. Now I know that other people use it I think I should :p Thanks +1

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Both yield the same result on my XP SP3 machine... I'm taken straight to the task manager each time. Perhaps I've worked some Kung Fu on my system in the past and have forgotten I had done so. :s

htfkid2000

Thread author
Jun 7, 2011
HeffeD said:
Both yield the same result on my XP SP3 machine... I'm taken straight to the task manager each time. Perhaps I've worked some Kung Fu on my system in the past and have forgotten I had done so. :s

That is because you have the Welcome Screen Turned On! Turning it off and you get The Cute Menu!

Mark

Apr 22, 2011
I right click on the taskbar and choose "Start Task Manager" then, I pin it to the taskbar.

Thank you for sharing this method.

V

Vextor

I've know about for over a year now. I can't believe some people don't know about it. CTRL-ALT-DELETE is annoying

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
thanks for the info :) +2rep for the tip and +1 as welcome :)

I hope you will stay and enjoy it here :)

Take care

Regards,
Valentin N

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Little keyboard shortcuts like Windows Key and Pause/Break are great, this is one I like cause you never have to let your hand leave the mouse and I can't recall how many years I have used it but nice to drop the info for those that didn't know.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
bbbbweb said:
I've know about for over a year now. I can't believe some people don't know about it. CTRL-ALT-DELETE is annoying
Didn't know about this...And I've got used to CTRL+ALT+DEL. :p
Anyway I've stoped using Task Manager..Now I'm using Process Hacker but still good trick...thank you for the share!

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Weird indeed :p So you are required to enter your logon credentials at startup? You turn the Welcome Screen on/off from Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on or off. If you have one account you don't see it though. By default is turned on so you get straight to the Task Manager if you press Ctrl+Alt+Del. Nevertheless the tip is useful for Vista and 7 that behave differently.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
bogdan said:
Weird indeed :p So you are required to enter your logon credentials at startup? You turn the Welcome Screen on/off from Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on or off. If you have one account you don't see it though. By default is turned on so you get straight to the Task Manager if you press Ctrl+Alt+Del. Nevertheless the tip is useful for Vista and 7 that behave differently.

I only have a single account, so that would account for it. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.