FleischmannTV

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
Hi Guys.

Please bear with me, as I am completely new to the topic of having your own domain.

The reason I am writing this is because lately I've gotten the idea of using my own domain for e-mail forwarding purposes, while keeping my Gmail account. My thought is to assign a unique e-mail address for wherever I register, e.g. MalwareTips(at)FleischmannTV(dot)com, and forward it to my Gmail address. This way I can easily identify who is selling my address to spammers (or is compromised) and subsequently remove the forwarding to my address.

Are there errors in my thinking? Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you in advance for your help

Anarchy

Apr 30, 2015
Yea you can definitely do that. Having your own domain email addresses helps in a lot of ways. But you need to be sure that you really want it and that you do a lot of email communications. A single .com domain will cost you around $10-$15 a year. And once you start using your domain email addresses for communications, there's almost no turning back. You either have to renew your domain or lose important communications.

For example - you bought a software. It's registered to your domain email address. And then you decide not to renew the domain. Then?
Imagine contacting each software vendor, forum, websites to change your email address. It can be a pain in the ass.

You can use outlook or mail.com and have multiple aliases. All emails to those aliases drops into the same inbox.

Now, the good part is - if you do buy a domain, you can have unlimited email addresses at your disposal. And if you enable 'catch all', you won't even have to create alias/email account. Just type anything before @yourdomain.com and it'll be delivered to your predefined email address.

Life gets a hell lot easier with your own email addresses. But just to track spammers, buying a domain is a big no no from me.

If you're going to send only 10-30 emails a year, don't buy it. It's not a 1 year investment, it's a multiple year investment.

But if you think you have a plan and that you're going to use the domain, go ahead and buy it. It's a good investment.

If you need any help, you can always PM me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.