Serious Discussion Panda Free Antivirus

Spartan

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
How come no one talks about Panda Antivirus here? In my experience, it is the lightest and has decent protection, with no bloatware other than the prompt to install Opera during installation which you can skip and simply disabling the popups about news from its settings

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
How come no one talks about Panda Antivirus here? In my experience, it is the lightest and has decent protection, with no bloatware other than the prompt to install Opera during installation which you can skip and simply disabling the popups about news from its settings
Light? Mhh... Okay fine.
Decent protection? No, not really.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Doesn’t matter if it’s Opera or Chrome, it’s still considered as unwanted software.

"Bundleware is a term used to collectively describe one or more software that comes in bundles as extra. This isn't necessarily malicious."
Source: Bundleware | Malwarebytes Glossary

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Even lighter than Kaspersky Free?

Spartan

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
Panda ? Very bad antivirus
why? It does ok in AV-Comparatives test, even slightly better detection rate than ESET. They say it has many FPs but I never got a single FP with it to be honest.

Even lighter than Kaspersky Free?
yes. Not by a big margin, I would say its 10-15% lighter in terms of OS snappiness, browsing folders with many EXEs, launching programs, and offcourse, it doesn't install any certificate for your browser nor does it have any speed impact on browsing speeds since it has no HTTP scanner which to me is a major plus point not a negative. I have an adblocker and that's all I need for internet protection

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
why? It does ok in AV-Comparatives test, even slightly better detection rate than ESET. They say it has many FPs but I never got a single FP with it to be honest.

I've always questioned Av-Comparative.
In my tests and those of the Hub, Panda is one of the worst antivirus programs.
I invite you to have a look at my tests on it, I think you'll make up your own mind :)

Spartan

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
So Panda Free is the best AV for gamers?

It has a Dark Web scanner, interesting...
indeed, been using it for a long time now and I just can't find a better alternative that suites *my* needs. Most other free AVs are full of bloatware

I've always questioned Av-Comparative.
In my tests and those of the Hub, Panda is one of the worst antivirus programs.
I invite you to have a look at my tests on it, I think you'll make up your own mind :)
Well if I don't install Panda, then I might just reinstall F-Secure Antivirus and be done with it although its a bit heavier.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Wasn't Panda sort of a "novelty" at the time for being one of the first cloud AV's? Otherwise, I haven't even considered it since then.
It was sort of a novelty to reduce signatures and move them to the cloud, but since then they didn’t innovate at all and they remained lighting years behind everyone.
They supposedly had innovative behavioural blocking as well called TruPrevent but I’ve never seen it in action.

lyldz

Level 2
Verified
Jun 4, 2016
if anyone among you remembers this, he will miss the old days.

Panda.Cloud.Antivirus.1.9.Beta1.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.