• AI-based analysis flags dangerous programs
  • Applies simple local allowlisting when appropriate

CONS​

• Malware running prior to installation becomes trusted
  • Relatively expensive for multiple devices
  • Some settings and features too complex for the average user
  • Internal documentation is out of date

THE BOTTOM LINE​

CyberLock takes an allowlist approach to antivirus protection without getting in your way. A machine-learning component improves the app's malware detection, but you still need a standalone antivirus.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I don't think "Malware running prior to installation becomes trusted" is true.
In theory it could be the case when training mode is used, but there are other safeguards like WhitetlistCloud.
Hope @danb van and will react on this review.
Thanks for your follow-up, as that was the first thing that caught my eye.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Good old Neil looked at the volume prices. I have to say Dan's pricing scheme makes no sense (1 year license = 30 while a 1 year single volume license = 40)
1693409883318.png

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The Cons would pretty much be a no-go for me.
article lists 3 cons: I can see price as a con, but the other 2 I tend to disagree. Malware already on system becoming trusted, who would install without a good AV check first; and, complex settings... you can / perhaps should just leave it at default and it works great, no need to be tweaking. The article IMO (fwiw) does not go into any (much) detail about what VS/CL adds in terms of protection to AV. Also no discussion about running it with MD as if you must have BD or some other 3d-party AV. (BS):poop:. MD is stronger now-a-days & VS/CL fills any MD gaps. wonder if @danb thinks the article is accurate. :unsure: I'd say accurate but incomplete.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Since I've been a member of MT, I've always tested CyberLock (formerly Voodooshield), and no, the protection is excellent, even somewhat paranoid at times. So no, malware doesn't become reliable... I've attempted to bypass the protection several times, without success... I managed to bypass it only once, and I discussed it with @danb to fix that... He was quite responsive.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
article lists 3 cons: I can see price as a con, but the other 2 I tend to disagree. Malware already on system becoming trusted, who would install without a good AV check first; and, complex settings... you can / perhaps should just leave it at default and it works great, no need to be tweaking. The article IMO (fwiw) does not go into any (much) detail about what VS/CL adds in terms of protection to AV. Also no discussion about running it with MD as if you must have BD or some other 3d-party AV. (BS):poop:. MD is stronger now-a-days & VS/CL fills any MD gaps. wonder if @danb thinks the article is accurate. :unsure: I'd say accurate but incomplete.
For myself, as an average user, the 3rd bullet point was the other one I thought would be beyond me, a no-go. So as the saying goes in my case, "if it looks easy, it's hard, if it looks hard, it's impossible" 😊
  • Some settings and features too complex for the average user

Last edited:

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Define average user? I'm sure most here could handle it. I use default settings with 3 or 4 minor tweaks such as getting rid of the shield icon, don't really care about the majority of the settings though as I don't touch them and don't believe I really need to do so. I think Dan said CS provides solid protection with default settings.

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
For me the amount of "suspicious" file alerts is why I wouldn't install it for a family member. For me it is ok to run a file through VT and two sandbox websites just to be extra safe (while I'm pretty sure the file was clean to begin with and just unsigned). But my family members would just freak out :D

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Looks like a one man show.
I think it started as 1-man show some years ago, I'm pretty sure Dan has a team now, but I don't know that for a fact.

For me the amount of "suspicious" file alerts is why I wouldn't install it for a family member. For me it is ok to run a file through VT and two sandbox websites just to be extra safe (while I'm pretty sure the file was clean to begin with and just unsigned). But my family members would just freak out :D
No offence, but I always find comments like this :unsure:suspicious as I have very few alerts from VS/CL and I run it at default, Smart | aggressive...
EDIT left out a key word (I that unintentionally sometimes)

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
No offence, but I always find comments like this :unsure:suspicious as I have very alerts from VS/CL and I run it at default, Smart | aggressive...
No offense taken. E.g. just updating Q-dir gets me an unsafe for the selfdelete.bat (at the end of the update).Autopilote, agressive and WLC active. Can't remember an example for suspicious atm. Since I have no stakes in any AV vendor I just tell you how it behaves for me on my usage (which could always be wrong settings or user error :D)

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
No offense taken. E.g. just updating Q-dir gets me an unsafe for the selfdelete.bat (at the end of the update).Autopilote, agressive and WLC active. Can't remember an example for suspicious atm. Since I have no stakes in any AV vendor I just tell you how it behaves for me on my usage (which could always be wrong settings or user error :D)
ditto :ROFLMAO:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.