Serious Discussion Playing audio files using LDAC and Aptx Adaptive Bluetooth codecs from the Windows PC/Laptop

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
As you are aware that Win 10/11 support SBC and AAC bluetooth codecs by default and no others.

So if you have a SONY headphone/earbuds or any other device which supports SONY LDAC codec then it's not possible to play the music file using LDAC codec

However, there are 2 ways to do it

1) Running a VM in Windows and use Linux free LDAC driver

2) The other is to use the paid Alternative A2DP Driver from

Alternative A2DP Driver. There's a free trial for 7 days before you buy

Another paid software from its website, Bluetooth Tweaker, allows one to see what audio codecs are supported by the device and what codec Windows select. You can download, check and then delete the software

In my case using the SONY WH-1000XM3 headphone the result from Alternative A2DP Driver is as below

1693010047359.png

As for playing audio files using Aptx Adaptive codec you can

1) Get the Sennheiser Momentum 4 Wireless headphone and its BTD 600 Bluetooth Dongle both of which support Aptx Adaptive

BTD 600 is here

2) Use Creative BT-W5 Smart Bluetooth 5.3 Audio Transmitter with AptX Adaptive which I'm using with the wireless GRADO GW100X open-can headphone. Another example is the Master & Dynamic MW75 headphone which also supports Aptx Adaptive. The Nura Bluetooth® 5.3 Audio Transmitter is an alternative bluetooth transmitter to the Creative BT-W5

20230826-085319.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
On a side note.

If you have LDAC and Aptx Adaptive supported headphones/earbuds and need to play from a handphone then the ASUS Zenfone 10 is a good choice for it has

Bluetooth® 5.3 (HFP + A2DP + AVRCP + HID + PAN + OPP), supports LDAC, AAC, Qualcomm® aptX™, aptX™ HD, aptX™ Adaptive, aptX™ Lossless

or the SONY 1 V. It has

Bluetooth 5.3, Bluetooth® LE Audio, QSS(Qualcomm® Snapdragon Sound™), Hi-Resolution Audio, High-Resolution Audio Wireless (LDAC), Dolby Atmos, DSEE Ultimate, Stereo Recording, Qualcomm® aptX™ HD, aptX™ Adaptive

Last edited:

Djent

Nov 11, 2023
Wow, what a fantastic article. (y):D
You said you own SONY WH-1000XM3 and Creative BT-W5, but don't use it together. I have both and it should have aptx, but Creative software only says SBC with no way to switch. Maybe you already know why they don't allow aptx audio codec??? Because you recommend other headsets. :sneaky:
Would help me a lot, I don't really understand what the problem is.

Found solution by myself:
> Install "Sony Headphones" app on smartphone and connect SONY WH-1000XM3 to smartphone and app
> Change setting under "sound" to priorize sound quality
> Stable connection forces the headphones to SBC
> Sound quality uses aptX
> Reconnect to BT-W5 on pc and voila aptx is active

Last edited:
Reactions: HarborFront

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
For SONY products use its great LDAC codec.

I have not try your case. It's good to know it works

Now I'm listening using LDAC, aptx adaptive and upcoming aptx lossless. My DAC/AMP with bluetooth, smartphone, headphones and earbuds support LDAC, aptx adaptive and aptx lossess

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.