frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Firefox and Mozilla are going through a mid-life crisis

A week ago, Mozilla shed some light on its future, laying out a plan on how the browser is going to dramatically change in the upcoming months. While most of us understood "Chrome extensions are coming to Firefox," it is not as simple as we all thought.
First of all, Mozilla seems dead serious on implementing these changes. If you haven't been paying attention to what's going on in the Firefox Nightly and Developer Edition channels, the changes are already upon us. No if or buts.
Second of all, unlike previously thought, Mozilla is not accepting its role as second fiddle to Chrome. The Mozilla dev team has a pretty solid plan on how they can change the browser "always crashing" image, and even if we don't like it, this includes a severe and very profound change to Firefox's core code.
To be true to my own instincts, I do believe this needs to happen. Firefox needs a new codebase. The browser has accumulated so much legacy code, that everything needs to be reimagined with today's Internet in mind, a Internet where speed and reliability matter as most as user customization features.

Full article. Please God, Don't Let Mozilla Ruin Firefox

S

Sr. Normal

That's why Pale Moon and Cyberfox among others got stronger, FF is doing some weird stuff..

The bad thing is that if FF changes or falls, can drag Cyberfox, Pale Moon and other derivatives with it.

This seems to involve the end of DownThemAll and after all these changes I hope Firefox doesn't become a clone of Chrome.

do not think that users and especially the Linux usuers, allow it to become a clone of Chrome. I think before that happens, the project would die

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
The bad thing is that if FF changes or falls, can drag Cyberfox, Pale Moon and other derivatives with it.

do not think that users and especially the Linux usuers, allow it to become a clone of Chrome. I think before that happens, the project would die

Pale Moon took it's own way, their beta is pushing a new layout engine "Goanna" they are probably safe from whatever FF could do in near future. Can't say the same about Cyberfox.

thepierrezou

Level 8
Verified
Sep 25, 2013
Hello,
Firefox is making a new engine with their new language called Rust.
Firefow will not add support for chromium extension, it's just a new api which make faster the work to make a chromium extension works on firefox too.
If they add something like pocket, hello, etc.. It's for the money.
They need money to make a new engine or make new api, etc ...
Just wait and see ^^

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Tragic irony in all of this is that users cry out for change and when change occurs there is uproar...can,t please everyone i suppose.
Simple choice is to be made.
Do you want a firefox which is held back by old code or a new improved one ...?
Is this not the very reason that the likes of palemoon and cyberfox merely exist.?

As for palemoon and the similar spin-offs,well they can simply do their own thing if the developers have the inclination to do so,They claim individuality from firefox and yet feel grievance when mozilla implement changes..very strange turn of events for sure.

Reactions: frogboy

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Thanks for the Firefox news frogboy. As others have said, lets hope its not a total browser sellout to Chromeland.

I don't like Chromes look and functions, and the new Opera is too memory dependant too for my liking, but I do use Opera for its nice extensions.

I hope Rust won't have 12 processes eating 350,000 RAM.

Here's how Mozilla describes Rust:

Rust is a new programming language which focuses on performance, parallelization, and memory safety. By building a language from scratch and incorporating elements from modern programming language design, the creators of Rust avoid a lot of “baggage” (backward-compatibility requirements) that traditional languages have to deal with. Instead, Rust is able to fuse the expressive syntax and flexibility of high-level languages with the unprecedented control and performance of a low-level language.

Last edited:
Reactions: XhenEd and frogboy

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
I have switched over to google chrome this morning and am pleasantly surprised by its low ram and cpu usage.Not certain if the os effects it in anyway but on linux it runs like a charm.I thought i may as well jump the firefox ship now before she sinks forever...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well it seems, Mozilla failed to do so for fixing a lot of bugs and issue which why Chrome ahead from everything. So that action is clearly a surrender signal which why originality will be vanish easily through specific engine.

Thanks to those alternative FF browser same engine which holds the meaning of performance.

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
If Mozilla were to fix the following and stop focusing on adding features we would all likely have a better experience IMHO:

-Memory Consumption/RAM
-It's interaction w/ Adobe Flash Player
-Tweak and fix it's plugin-container
-Fix the pre-existing bugs.
-Publish a release with only security fixes and go after fixing the bugs in Bugzilla. Maybe even 2 releases.
-If performance were improved, and it didn't crash with Adobe Flash Player (well, that's another problem), it may have more users.
-Maybe toss Yahoo and if they had to bring back Google. I don't know, just better focus on privacy. Not sure Google is much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.