Possibly Infected Computer

Anna15

Thread author
Aug 11, 2015
Hello,

So this may sound a bit odd, but I don't actually know if my computer is infected with any malware. I'm attempting to check it as a safety precaution. I haven't seen anything to indicated that there is malware on my computer, however, I spent this summer doing an internship in China with a U.S. business. Afterwards I was told that I should basically throw out all of my electronic devices, because I should assume they were infected with some kind of corporate or espionage malware. Since I'm a student, this really isn't feasible. Taking my electronic devices to a professional cleaner is also probably outside my price range. At the same time, I can't keep using an infected machine.

So, I figured I would at least try and do this on my own, particularly since I haven't seen anything to indicate malware on my machine. First, I cleaned up my machine by deleting any old files/programs I wasn't using. I then followed the instructions in http://malwaretips.com/blogs/malware-removal-guide-for-windows/. I ran Kaspersky TDSSKiller, RKill, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free, HitmanPro, AdwCleaner, RogueKiller, and Emsisoft Anti-Malware. After running each scan I deleted any suspect files. I've since rerun the scans until they each came up clean. There were a few suspect PUPs and such, but nothing that was too concerning (I think).

I've since run and included the FRST scan. Can you take a look an let me know if you see anything suspicious?

And then, do you have any general advice on these questions/or my problem in general:

1. Would regular anti-malware measures take care of what (if I was targeted) is very sophisticated Chinese malware?

2. Would a professional cleaning do anything differently than what I've already done? And what the forum helpers will suggest? That's a bit outside my price range, but if it's something that will make a huge difference, it may be worth it.

3. Does anyone have any advice on phones/tablets? I took my android phone and my ipad 2 with me, so they may both also be infected. I did a factory reset on both. Would that fix the problem? Is there a way to scan either device?

4. I also had a USB and an external hard drive with me. I've formatted both of them, but I did so from my possibly infected computer. (I formatted them and then immediately unplugged them.) Is there any way to check if they're actually formatted or clean? The last thing I want to do is plug them into a clean computer if there's a chance something might still be on one of them.

I realize this all sounds quite paranoid, but my supervisor honestly recommended I just throw out my laptop, ipad, and phone after the internship because of malware/espionage fears. If I'd known it would be this much hassle, I definitely wouldn't have taken any electronics with me!

Thank you!

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    34.3 KB · Views: 3
  • FRST.txt
    49.1 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Andytay70

Anna15

Thread author
Aug 11, 2015
So, I just spoke to a professional computer cleaner over the phone and he actually said that he didn't think he would be able to help, because he thought any infection would be in the firmware and biosware. Although he thought functionality wouldn't be effected, he basically said that I shouldn't use the computer for anything I wouldn't want someone watching. While he didn't actually see my computer and isn't an expert in Chinese malware, this certainly doesn't look like good news.

Although I'm still holding out (a rapidly diminishing) hope that my computer might be alright, at this point, if I accept that my computer is basically burned, I have two further questions:

1. He recommended that I reload my computer. Will this help anything, if the problem is in the firmware/biosware and not anywhere else? How would I go about doing this, since I don't have a disc from which to reload it?

2. I need the files that I have stored on this computer. Can I put them on an external hard drive, scan them, and then use them elsewhere? Or are they too infected? It's strictly pictures and word documents. If nothing else, I suppose I can keep them quarantined on this laptop, but that will be a major hassle, particularly since all my files are only on this one laptop.

3. After scanning this laptop with all the aforementioned scans, I connected it to my home wifi. Additionally, after formatting my phone and ipad, I connected them to my home wifi. Are all the devices which are connected to my home wifi potentially infected, if I do have some kind of firmware/biosware infection?

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

Your PC is clean, there is no active infection.

Can you now sort all your questions in order so I can try to answer them one by one?

Anna15

Thread author
Aug 11, 2015
It's good to hear I don't have any active infections! Thanks. The rest of my questions deal with the potential for a deeper infection in the firmware or biosware, if you think that's possible.

1. So, the computer place I talked to said that any infection would likely be in the firmware/biosware. Would the anti-malware scans I've run pick up very sophisticated, government level Chinese malware/spyware in those areas? Basically, is it possibly I still have some kind of infection imbedded in my computer I may not know about that isn't effecting functionality, but may still be monitoring my computer?

2. They also recommended that I reload my computer. Will this help anything, if the problem is in the firmware/biosware and not anywhere else? How would I go about doing this, since I don't have a disc from which to reload it?

3. I need the files that I have stored on this computer. Can I put them on an external hard drive, scan them, and then use them elsewhere? Or are they to infected? It's strictly pictures, word documents, and excel files. If nothing else, I suppose I can keep them quarantined on this laptop, but that will be a major hassle, particularly since all my files are only on this one laptop. Thoughts?

4. I also had a USB and an external hard drive with me. I've formatted both of them, but I did so from my possibly infected computer. (I formatted them and then immediately unplugged them.) Is there any way to check if they're actually formatted or clean? The last thing I want to do is plug them into a clean computer if there's a chance something might still be on one of them.

5. After scanning this laptop with all the aforementioned scans, I connected it to my home wifi. Additionally, after formatting my phone and ipad, I connected them to my home wifi. Are all the devices which are connected to my home wifi potentially infected, if I do have some kind of firmware/biosware infection?

6. Does anyone have any advice on phones/tablets? I took my android phone and my ipad 2 with me, so they may both also be infected. I did a factory reset on both. Would that fix the problem? Is there a way to scan either device?

Again, I realize how paranoid this sounds, but apparently people in the company I was working for have run into this problem. However, they were also not interns, so they just bought completely new devices.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
1) I cannot give you precise answer to this question, because such infections are very rare, and probably limited to several or not more than a hundred computers and they are known to stay hidden for years.

2) Windows 8 has integrated Reset and Refresh options that can reload your PC to freshly installed state.

3) Yes, you can move your files to external drive.

4) You can also scan your external drives with your antivirus, but since there is no infection, there is no need to do so.

5) There is a possibility to infect your router and all other devices, but again, I do not see signs of some severe infection.

6) You can ask this in other Forum section.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.