Mini Spy

PUPS in CNET Download.com downloads

Discussion in 'News Archive' started by Ibrad, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Ibrad

Ibrad Regular Member

2. WinAndLinuxTutorials

WinAndLinuxTutorials Community Superstar Trusted Member

I hate CNET Download.com, I prefer Filehippo.

3. Jack

Jack Administrator MalwareTips Staff

[​IMG]

No a real surprise there..........I wonder how much money does CNET get for pushing this unwanted program , I hope it's a lot because they are really trashing this site name with this cheap tricks..
    Last time I visited CNET was 1-2 months ago so I'm far from being a regular reader but for me this is another defiance at it's readers ...Wonder how much more they can take...

4. Jack

Jack Administrator MalwareTips Staff

Interesting read :

5. win7holic

win7holic

I prefer download from softpedia :)

6. MrXidus

MrXidus Super Moderator MalwareTips Staff

CNET got money hungry and many such as myself move to other file hosts which give us what we want, Just the original setup file for the software we request, And in full, None of these adware wrapped 256kb installers that then download the rest of the program using an internet connection and then doesn't allow you to back up the installer for later use.

I prefer grabbing the full thing from sites such as FileHippo, Softpedia, MajorGeeks and Softexia so if I have a need to install what ever the software may be offline I can do so freely.

I can't remember the last time I've downloaded from CNET, Must have been over half a year now, Good riddens.

The same goes for Adobe.com, There installer for Flash is small, But after running it then downloads the actual flash you want... once you deny optional "Norton Security scans" or "Google Toolbars". For me, It never worked, I have an internet connection but still it always freezes at 12%, Junk. So I download my flash updates using Secunia PSI or I just head on over to FileHippo.

7. win7holic

win7holic

what you mean..?
    flash? adobe flash player..? I never got it.

8. MrXidus

MrXidus Super Moderator MalwareTips Staff

Not going to bother explaining. Others will understand. Don't worry.

9. Plexx

Plexx Guest

For years now I use Softpedia and Filehippo since I never really liked CNET. Reason why I usually go to CNET is to read their articles and reviews.

10. House_maniac

House_maniac Regular Member

me too,but sometime reviews are fake or the people don't really know how to use the software and they put negative reviews there,i prefer filehippo too,simple and we get what we want :)

11. malbky

malbky Regular Member

Its a bad thing. Many good companies are turning bad. First Avast started bundling open candy and then cnet. But anyway most of the times i use softpedia or filehippo as both give greater download speeds than cnet.

12. HeffeD

HeffeD Super Moderator

Didn't they start using their wrapper a few months ago?

13. Dejan

Dejan

1. Use developer's site.
    2. Or Softepedia, or FileHippo, or MajorGeeks, or any other reliable download site (even though I prefer the first option).