Qihoo withdraws from AV-C: Traditional Anti-virus Evaluation Criteria Far Behind

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well in such case like this, withdraw is sometimes equivalent to an apology if they admit or not the allegations and such decision its really a last resort option.

Its hard to judge if Qihoo's Cloud is just a copy + paste from Virustotal, as a concept it needs to retrieve an immediate response (24/7) once the file is uploaded, API Virustotal is a bit slow especially in scanning and not design for a develop commercialized products.

Still a lack of evidence to prove if signatures are matching continuously as some users mentioned it.

Reactions: aztony

aztony

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Well in such case like this, withdraw is sometimes equivalent to an apology...
While anything is possible, I doubt Qihoo's withdrawl from AV-C was meant in any way as an apology. Apologize, while at the same time disparaging the very same methodologies that were embraced before the cheating allegation/revelation? o_O

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@aztony : I'm not sure of those testing organizations if they are having a lack of action for verifying the possible changes but for sure as a safety reputation of Qihoo they need to do it even a recent statement likely denied the allegations.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I still use Qihoo because it works for me. Some may disagree but to each his own.

aztony

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Although this issue elicit some strong feelings in some people, it is only software we're discussing, not a life or death issue. It doesn't need to get personal. So let's not make it personal. thanx.

Reactions: BoraMurdar and Kent

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.