Guide | How To Recommended Diagnose Tools.

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

NullPointerException

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Farbar Recovery Scan Tool.

Why is it recommended : Often ; people just come and post -- with incorrect grammar, little to no punctuation, and too with incorrect capitalization of words -- that "my sistem is facing an error since tweleve months ;-; how can i fix it Cause i have been had been seeing blank screen in the CMD ... and that my Emsisoft security scanner and antihitmanpro detected some trojan and qurtined it". I sometimes feel a little bad for the Malware Removal Experts and the administrators. Even if a perfectly well-written description like...

"Hello all,

I've noticed a few strange errors with my system since 12th of last month. Please, can anyone help me? I've noticed popups being redirected to hxxp:www.evilwebsite.com
(Screenshot)
(Screenshot 2)
(Screen shot 3)
Thanks."

Contains too many flaws. Because
  1. What kinda "system" errors are you facing?
  2. You didn't specify in your screenshot what exactly is happening to your machine. It's just an url with ads.
  3. Are you sure your system is infected? Adware is not an infection, but merely a privacy invasion and annoyance.
  4. Malware is often stealthy. It's like that you're using a program that accesses the internet for background processes such as updates, schedules, anonymous log files, version checks etc.
So...What can we do?
Farbar to the rescue! It helps advanced users to determine what exactly is the cause of...computer booting slow. We get an exact image of your system. We even can tell your Windows version and if you're using a pirated version and an exact log of your installed programs. So you don't need to tell us. Although the new user might think it's an invasion of privacy, it isn't. We just get an idea of your Windows ; your passwords, usernames, e-mails, accounts, credit card etc. are never displayed. Because they cannot be, arguably, ever displayed on a software, and they should not be ever displayed anyway.

Install it, run a scan, post the log and then ask the question. In Malware Removal Assistance, the staff can help you (I am not a staff) and posting the log (before being asked) slightly boosts up the removal process. For other things, like troubleshooting or tackling down a problem, Farbar is-a-must. Nobody is sure if you've the latest updates installed if you just "I UPDATED MY PC". "PC updates" can mean anything. From webbrowser to antivirus to Windows updates to extension update to Operating System upgrade* or even a hardware upgrade*.

Do note that nobody is perfect, and the help offered at MT is voluntary. Just by looking at a log, not even then can we tell hundred-percent things about your PC with eyes closed. We get about 90 percent idea, which is enough, I believe, to start the troubleshooting processes.

Sysinternals Processes Explorer.

Why is it recommended : Any respected and well-known truth teller computer scientist will tell you his code is not perfect. Even if it does compile (don't worry if you don't know the definition of the word 'compile'), they will admit it somebody else's code. As well all know, mortals are, well, flawed beyond reparation. But even with Farbar Security Tool we can't guarantee we know even 95 percent of your system (the scope of this thread is not about diagonse coverage ; look to my other threads ; so we'll stop talking about that). With a bit of help of Windows screenshot and your printscrn button and the process explorer button, we get a clear idea of the probably malicious process.

I am certainly bad at explaining Microsoft products. I'll it to the professionals.

"Ever wondered which program has a particular file or directory open? Now you can find out. Process Explorer shows you information about which handles and DLLs processes have opened or loaded.

The Process Explorer display consists of two sub-windows. The top window always shows a list of the currently active processes, including the names of their owning accounts, whereas the information displayed in the bottom window depends on the mode that Process Explorer is in: if it is in handle mode you'll see the handles that the process selected in the top window has opened; if Process Explorer is in DLL mode you'll see the DLLs and memory-mapped files that the process has loaded. Process Explorer also has a powerful search capability that will quickly show you which processes have particular handles opened or DLLs loaded.

The unique capabilities of Process Explorer make it useful for tracking down DLL-version problems or handle leaks, and provide insight into the way Windows and applications work."

Rogue Killer and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Adwcleaner and CCleaner

Why is it recommended? : An Ultra all-in-one tool : Check.
An ultra-process viewer : Check.
An ultra-antimalware : Uh...
An ultra logger : Uhm...
An ultra adware-killer : Uhm...
An ultra, trustworthy PC optimization software : Uhm...

Why are all of them recommended? : They all have different, the most excellent in their field, purposes.

Read below.

Rogue Killer : Combined with MBAM, AdwCleaner and CCleaner among others, is the best software for malware protection. No matter your current setup, if you have those above mentioned tools, you're a wise person. You don't need to always "fix" those selected "issues", you could just post those logs here. You might say Farbar does the same thing, doesn't it? Well, some might disagree, but I believe Farbar's dev didn't just put enough in-depth check for malware. Perhaps that is the main reason why many security researchers don't rely fully on Farbar. Farbar is NOT useless, saying it would be an offense, but it's not specialized in malware removal. Aside from malware removal, it is a perfect tool used for collecting information.

I recommend it strongly ; but not required. Although I do recommend it very strongly, it is not mandatory. It'll just make your and our lives easier.

MBAM : A.K.A Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. It is a cousin of Trojan Killer, albeit the fact that it is a less aggressive scanner. It catches what Trojan Killer misses. It's a must if you're going to clean your PC, not to diagnose it.

Adwcleaner : It literally solves every adware (toolbar, Babylon translator, homepage changes, unwanted extensions etc.) problems. It is updated very often for the latest threats. It's a must ; because many anti-malware and anti-virus software don't detect PUP (adware) as malicious, and therefore ignore it. After all ; they're right. They need to save their time and resources on more serious threats like ZBot. But for those "small" operations, Adwcleaner to the rescue. It is an excellent tool.

Ccleaner : (Can be capitalized as "Ccleaner", "CCleaner", "CCLeaner", "ccleaner" and "CCLEANER") After you've repaired your PC, there would be a lot of temp files and left-overs of malware in your PC. You must be surprised by the fact, if you haven't run it for over three weeks, the most likely junk files in your PC are worth multiple Gigabytes! It safely cleans non-sensitive registry errors. It is the only respected "PC Optimizer" in the computer science community. No other "defragment", "Registry cleaning", "Junkcleaner" software is respected over the computer science community.

It's a must have for anyone looking to properly "optimize" their PC.

Notes :

By upgrade and update :
Update means to update a source-code. Often only software-level. Upgrade means an updating change in machinery.
You will upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7.
You will upgrade your RAM from four GB to six GB.
You will upgrade from ESET 7 to ESET 8.

You will update your antivirus database.
We shall update our source-code.

Last edited:

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
  • Wont boot: Best Free Partition Management Software
  • Startup slow: Best Free Startup Manager
  • Shutdown slow
  • Startup applications
  • Startup drivers
  • Running slow e.g. Best Free Process Viewer
  • Application won't run e.g. Best Free Registry Editor, Best free Application Uninstaller
  • Memory problems e.g. Best Free Memory testing utility
  • Display problems
  • Hard disk problems e.g. Best Free Hard Drive Health Monitoring and Diagnostic Programs,
  • Audio problems
  • Network problems e.g. Best Free Network Analysis Tools
  • DNS problems e.g. How to find Best DNS Server
  • Windows update problems e.g. Best Free Software Update Monitor
More?

Nifty Free Application Lets You Control Hundreds of Windows System Utilities in One Convenient Place

Virtualization for diagnostics

Reactions: Oxygen

NullPointerException

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
  • Wont boot: Best Free Partition Management Software
  • Startup slow: Best Free Startup Manager
  • Shutdown slow
  • Startup applications
  • Startup drivers
  • Running slow e.g. Best Free Process Viewer
  • Application won't run e.g. Best Free Registry Editor, Best free Application Uninstaller
  • Memory problems e.g. Best Free Memory testing utility
  • Display problems
  • Hard disk problems e.g. Best Free Hard Drive Health Monitoring and Diagnostic Programs,
  • Audio problems
  • Network problems e.g. Best Free Network Analysis Tools
  • DNS problems e.g. How to find Best DNS Server
  • Windows update problems e.g. Best Free Software Update Monitor
More?

Nifty Free Application Lets You Control Hundreds of Windows System Utilities in One Convenient Place

Virtualization for diagnostics
Are you being sarcastic? :)

NullPointerException

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
I was talking about various categories you could add in the Diagnostic tools section. There's a good freeware software for each one of them.
Thanks.

Although I, while writing the thread, kept in mind one thing : Manual cleanup. They are diagnose-only tools. They only provide logs and do not perform any action themsleves. However, I'll keep in mind your suggestions. :)

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Speedy response:
Trojan Killer is NOT free, 15 days free trial only.
Yes, MBAM, AdwCleaner, CCleaner - are tools to diagnose and cleaning .. so your title is misleading sligtly.
Like AdwCleaner, we have too: RogueKiller, and Adware Removal Tool maybe ..
WISE Disk Cleaner and WISE Registry Cleaner are much better than CCleaner, I see. And trustworthy too.
I use Process Hacker, I find it much better than Process Explorer.
Well .. and everyone know this ..

Last edited:

NullPointerException

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Speedy response:
Trojan Killer is NOT free, 15 days free trial only.
Yes, MBAM, AdwCleaner, CCleaner - are tools to diagnose and cleaning .. so your title is misleading sligtly.
Like AdwCleaner, we have too: RogueKiller, and Adware Removal Tool maybe ..
WISE Disk Cleaner and WISE Registry Cleaner are much better than CCleaner, I see. And trustworthy too.
I use Process Hacker, I find it much better than Process Explorer.
Well .. and everyone know this ..
Prococess Hacker is almost same as System Explorer. The latter is official (although not every official product dominates, i.e. MSE) and I've been using it longer than Process Hacker. Notwithstanding the fact that Process Hacker is open-source, but that doesn't make it better than closed-source software.

Ccleaner is not a malware-removal tool actually. The default settings with CCEnhancer really clean safe tiles and free up a lot of disk space. The only software recommended by GeekstoGo and BleepingComputer, is Ccleaner. Ccleaner is a lot of safer than Wise products.

I am sorry I mixed up Trojan Killer with Rogue Killer. I haven't used both of them since a few months. :) Updated.

WISE Diskc Cleaner / Registry Cleaner are NOT safe. Ccleaner with CCEnhancer is really, enough for most people. You don't need to overcomplicate things. :)

Last edited:

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi ! IMHO we have one of the best malware fighters here at MT. I recommend letting TwinHeadedEagle fix your infected PC.
Having said that, I have cleaned a lot of infected PC's here in my village for free. I have found these tools to be very affective.
Malwarebytes Free!
Malwarebytes Cameleon
Malwarebytes Root Kit
Malwarebytes Startup Lite

EMISISOFT Emergency Kit
ESET on Line Scanner
AdwCleaner
JRT
Trend House-call on line scanner
SAS
Defender on line scanner

These will usually get the job done for me. I'm not trained to fight malware but so far I have been lucky getting machines cleaned up.
There are a lot of tools for malware clean up and Mr. TwinHeadedEagle knows them all. Best let him do it! Some times you won't be able to get access to these tools. Starting in safe mode with networking might work??
Meet the best in the west."Make my Day"
Capture48.JPG

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.