ElectricSheep

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
Hi there!

I'm currently using Secunia PSI but am tiring of the constant nagging messages that an un-updateable item needs updating, plus the length of time it takes to load, therefore am dumping it.

Has anyone got any recommendations of a similar program to replace it with?

Thanks,
The resident Grass Muncher

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
If you visit often the Software section here in MT you will find any new update for your software's so you wont need a software updater.
For example today i read here in MT that there is a new update for CCleaner;):), that's why i don't need such software.

H

hjlbx

On my W8.1 system Secunia PSI added a lot to start-up, plus it was a bit buggy.

I got rid of it.

The other update management softs mentioned above work fine.

Reactions: ElectricSheep

midzan21

Level 1
Verified
Mar 8, 2015
My reccomendation is FileHippo App Manager. I use it for scanning and downloading updates for all major programs like browsers, Notepad++ and some others which they have in their download database.

Also tried before almost year ago SecurniaPSI but then I got slow startup (eventrough my PC had 8GB of RAM and decent CPU), adn removed it.

Reactions: Logethica

tallorder

Level 6
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
If you visit often the Software section here in MT you will find any new update for your software's so you wont need a software updater.
For example today i read here in MT that there is a new update for CCleaner;):), that's why i don't need such software.
Now that's the best idea!! I didn't like Secunia, after first initial use. It gave me a clue of what to do, but then, (for me)is better removed. I would much rather do updates here, but I think an updater is ...in case one misses something..?!:confused::)

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
My reccomendation is FileHippo App Manager. I use it for scanning and downloading updates for all major programs like browsers, Notepad++ and some others which they have in their download database.

Also tried before almost year ago SecurniaPSI but then I got slow startup (eventrough my PC had 8GB of RAM and decent CPU), adn removed it.

Exactly, I'm running an 8Gb RAM and an i5 core CPU...
@ElectricSheep What software are you getting update prompts for, list if possible?

Keeps trying to update some old driver (running W8.1) called MS XML Core Services (msxml) 4.x It's un-updatable and is doing my nut in with constant "you have software that needs updating messages"

j6ORWy1.jpg

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually for software updaters we need to ensure the range of database that can update the programs on our computer and it takes a lot of time for expanding on their updaters.

Anyway you may try OutdateFighter: http://www.spamfighter.com/OUTDATEfighter/

However upon testing before some applications are not detected that needs to install the latest version.

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
That definitely looks like the file mentioned. No idea where that came from but had it ages. Will have to investigate on weekend when have more time. Thanks @Huracan

Reactions: Logethica
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.